Hearing Looks vs Deaf Looks

Wow, f*uck you. Not all hearing women I know are like that. And I'm sure there's other deaf women who also pay attention to themselves, etc.

Yeah, PFH, shows that he has no pretty deaf women in his life. xD xD

It shows who he is, hanging out with trailer trash.

Funny thread here.

I usually can pick out deaf women in a crowd better than deaf men.

Don't get all worked up over this, but, based on MY observations, I find that hearing women pay more attention to how pretty they are, how they walk, and have a certain look on their faces.

Deaf women usually dress bland, wear no makeup, don't act very feminine, mind their own business, and act like they are pretty comfortable with themselves.

Many of them usually have either fixed or no expressions on their faces when they are not talking to anyone. Some stare endlessly at people.

With men, it is hard, since they all are pretty much disgusting to look at....:laugh2:
Haha. I had to laugh at this one. OMG. Either you are a funny guy, a dyke or in deep trouble.

Im getting to the point where I just say Hi im HOH so there is no misundersting like im stupid,drunk etc.

Ha! Some of these posts made me laugh. Based on my own personal experiences, I've noticed that people could never tell that I'm HOH. Guess that's my own fault for speaking so fluently.

But I've also noticed that it's not a look, it's the behavior that sets apart the deaf people from the hearing. If you pay attention, you can see the deaf folks communicate a whole lot differently - (obviously!) and are much more animated. Sure, hearing folks wave their hands and nod and all that, but if you watch a bit, you'll notice that deaf people, HOH people move quite differently because they're trying to a> get in a position to communicate better or b> avoid communication. Hearing people take all that for granted.

The eyes give it away for lipreaders, and obviously, the signs for people who sign. You could also glean a bit from the fact that deaf and HOH people are, well, deaf and HOH by the simple fact that they don't respond at all or very well to auditory stimuli in their surroundings.

2 words - who cares?

everybody pronounces it differently. if you wanna say innernet.. go ahead. My dad wouldn't be able to pronounce internet correctly anyway since there's no R-sound in Korea.

I think nurture is one of the factors. My dad is really obstinate about wanting words to be pronounced the way the dictionary specifies it, and I think that influenced the way I talk.

deaf vs hearing

Funny thread here.

I usually can pick out deaf women in a crowd better than deaf men.

Don't get all worked up over this, but, based on MY observations, I find that hearing women pay more attention to how pretty they are, how they walk, and have a certain look on their faces.

Deaf women usually dress bland, wear no makeup, don't act very feminine, mind their own business, and act like they are pretty comfortable with themselves.

Many of them usually have either fixed or no expressions on their faces when they are not talking to anyone. Some stare endlessly at people.

With men, it is hard, since they all are pretty much disgusting to look at....:laugh2:

Hello my friend..smile..I will send you a PM abou my health....lol..I have no problem mixing in probably because I was hearing. I lip read really well and speak perfectly again.yay..lol..I hav never been shy and dress
Very ecclectic I look much younger then 8i am and am not afraid to approach someone who catches my eye..you know something I used to teach was thbat people like people who are enthusiastic and the root of that word greek theos means god like or LIGHT and I sure do notice the ppl who light up the room lol so I am always smiling and enthusiastic
It helps with getti8ng a job as well ppl notice the light...im sure yo7u have....hugs...miss you watch for my PM later today.....Midnight

Wirelessly posted

I have been accused of having the "queer eyes" because of how dependent I am with lipreading. :laugh2:

Apparently THAT was someone's measurement of if someone is gay or not, based on how much a person of the same gender stare at another.

I when to school in Maine and we had an exchange student from Iran one year. I had a real hard understanding her and had to read her lips all the time. My roommate asked me why I was being so 'rude' to the girl as I was always scaring at her face. The girl thought I did not like her as it was rude in her country to look at people facees all the time!
Oh CRAP , maybe that is why some lesbians try to come on to me! I always read people lips! I freaked out when this happen , I date men not women!

I'm hard of hearing. My scenario comes in where I'm speaking with someone and let them know I am hard of hearing. And they are shocked and say really???? I would, well yeah...and they say (GET READY FOR IT): Wow, you speak and WALK so perfectly!

*looking up into the air and thinking...what*

Wirelessly posted

I saw someone's status on FB.

Thoughts, anyone? I'd seen those situations. While I seem I am easy to pass me as a deaf person, cos how I "look" or how I act or how I dress or whatever. My thought is, that is really matter?

Bah. I think it is stupid, IMO.

they expect to see deaf as something weird looking than you being pretty like normal as other. tee-hee

I have been told that I act hearing when I have been stone deaf since birth and my hearing hubby has been mistaken for being deaf when he has been stone hearing since birth...go figure.

It must be our past lives.

Omg... The same thing happens to me and my sister whenever we go out in public together!! My sister is the hearing one, I'm the deaf one. I really don't get why people always assume that she is the deaf person and that I'm hearing despite the fact that we'd both be signing to each other right in the open!

Response to Naisho

I think it's a great observation, and it'd be convenient to ask you if you had any scholarly works to support it (and I don't think it's a "wrong" observation/hypothesis). I didn't mean it to be disrespectful.

Hi Craig26, I just had to tell you that after reading most of your posts, responses and threads you are indeed an articulate, well read and interesting
young man. Your last line in this quote may seem simple, but having studied NeuroLinguistics for years, your intire response and in particular that last line is what it is all about. I am intrigued with belief systems, and how NL can
affect and even change personal beliefs. I don't know if you understand my point but believe me NL may be able to change beliefs in the future to the point where it will be used for dramatic positive outcomesin medicine when used with any traditional therapy...I apologize for going off topic..but if you look at how the conversation between the two of you changed tones i think you will see my point...laughing..ot not....Midnight♥♥♥

People say I have an accent that sounds nothing like anything around here. (huh?) But because I was oralised and had to learn to talk (speech therapy sucks) people just assume I am hearing. People are shocked when I tell them I am deaf and that I know some ASL.

My mom told me that when I was younger I was mis-diagnosed as mentally retarded/developmentally disabled because I wasn't walking or talking when I was two. I remember being sent to a special school in the next town over. I went there for two years before I was finally diagnosed as deaf at aged 4. After that I spent a lot of time in audiology offices and hearing test booths. Sadly the audie that I had when I was very young told my parents that I should be mainstreamed and given preferential seating. I absolutely struggled until grade 2 when I was given an FM system. My grades went up to A's and B's and that's when people realized I wasn't dumb, just deaf. Sadly some parents of the other students threw a fit saying that I was being given more attention than the other students and so in grade 3 my FM system was taken away and I bombed out narrowly missing having to go to summer school. In grade 4 my parents considered sending me to ASD but in the end decided to keep me in mainstream where I struggled until grade 10 when I was fitted with HAs and my grades improved. Looking back I might have done OK if I was given proper support or should have been sent to ASD from the start. I don't know. All I know is what I know now.

As for looking deaf? PFFTTT! A person looks like a person to me, regardless of hearing status.

People say I have an accent that sounds nothing like anything around here. (huh?) But because I was oralised and had to learn to talk (speech therapy sucks) people just assume I am hearing. People are shocked when I tell them I am deaf and that I know some ASL.....................

As for looking deaf? PFFTTT! A person looks like a person to me, regardless of hearing status.

As it was for me too, Dixie. Being oralised, and the assumption being made that you are hearing, when they are informed that you are deaf, people aren't so much shocked - more indifferent and totally brush it aside as a worthless piece of information. I absolutely abhor that because it denies the very core of who you are as a person.

Is it just me but people get freaked out when I stare at them to read thier lips. They find it really creepy. And a lot of people who had you know asian accents or scottish accents, well any fast speaking accent seems to take offence when I don't hear them, some think i'm being racist.

Is it just me but people get freaked out when I stare at them to read thier lips. They find it really creepy. And a lot of people who had you know asian accents or scottish accents, well any fast speaking accent seems to take offence when I don't hear them, some think i'm being racist.

Hey welcome! :wave:

freak out when someone stares at their lips? well only if you downright stare with your eyes focused on one's lip, but still. I see people looking at other's lips at times and swift their eyes and head every once in a while. Nod too.

It's awkward for someone to just stare without saying anything and looking you in the eyes, you should tell them to repeat and nod "yeah" or something. If you think they're offended, you know what to do... :deaf:

Back