headaches and migraines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vallee

Reaction score
How many of you have/are experiencing headaches and migraines?

Before my CI surgery I has taking up to 8 pills a day for my migraines. I was having headaches daily as well. Since surgery and activitation I have not had a migraine and only one or two tension headaches. I am down to one pill a day just until I see the dr in Oct.

Why????

How many of you have/are experiencing headaches and migraines?

Before my CI surgery I has taking up to 8 pills a day for my migraines. I was having headaches daily as well. Since surgery and activitation I have not had a migraine and only one or two tension headaches. I am down to one pill a day just until I see the dr in Oct.

Why????

Were you working hard with your hearing aids before your CI? If so, then the resulting stress and concentration needed to hear with reduced clarity may have resulted in the head aches.

Either way, it's great you don't have to take as much medication.

Wow, that's great Val. I wish I could get rid of my migraines, but they are monthly and not connected with my hearing loss (if you get my drift). I'll forward your progress on to Chris, we're always happy to get these kinds of updates from former appeals clients.

Sheri

Wow, Vallee, thats great, that your migraines were greatly reduced
now since you got CI implanted now..lucky you. Ive had migraines
since i was in my late 20's due to hereditary reasons...my grandmother,
sister and i had have them..ive had them probably 2 or 3 times a month,
since i started taking the prescription drug called "Imitrex" which really
helped me alot..it may not helped everybody but it worked for me. I
also take "Topamax" daily as a migraine preventative, it also helped too.
My sister no longer has migraines anymore...strange...lucky her.

I dont understand how CIs could help stop the migraines..that is
strange. But if it helps you, then thats great!!

I don't know what happen either. I e-mailed my doctor to find out what happen. I did have a lot of stress with my hearing aids. It was a daily struggle. The migraines have been going on for at least 20 years. I took Neurotin for my daily meds, aleve(prescription) for daily and maxalt for the "real migraine.'

Sheri - I'm doing great! I'm just downloading more music on the ipod. I hear better than when I was 18. Thank you for all your hard work and also keeping me set on my goal. I don't know if I could have gotten to this point without Let Them Hear. So thank you again.

I used to have migraines constantly, not sure why... Could just be a genetic thing, since my dad suffers from frequent migraines too.... And noise does cause SOME of my migraines. But since I started taking antidepressants, my headaches and migraines have been much less.

I have very severe migraines, and noise is oneof the very strong triggers for me. That is why I am afraid to go for CI. I am worried hearing sound constantly, even moderate, will make me very sick.
However, I am pleasantly suprised to learn that CI actually helped you with your migraines, Val. That gives me hope. I too wonder how could that happen?
Maybe it has to do with some nerves? Migraine has connection with many nerves in the head. Also, perhaps indeed your HA was giving you too much sound.
because after all the HA only amplifies sounds, it does not "create" sounds our nerves are unable to hear anymore. So, in order to hear better you aimplified too much. Since CI works differently, maybe you don't need to hear sounds as loud as before?

Since surgery and activitation I have not had a migraine and only one or two tension headaches.

How long ago have you had your surgery and activation?

Fuzzy

I had surgery on the 19th of July and activation on the 8th of August. I'm bilateral with Advanced Bionics Harmony.

I see a neurologist for my migraines, so he is checking for any research. I will pass it on.

Oh I can even wear my CI until bedtime. Before I would take my HA off as soon as I got home from teaching to give myself a rest. Not anymore. I can go 18 hours or more with them and no headaches.

I've had migraines all my life, before, and after my implant/activation. I haven't noticed any decrease in the frequency of my migraines post-activation, but I do notice that if I HAVE one, I can't stand any noise, and keep my CI off until it goes away. My fiance, who is hearing, also gets very bad migraines and has told me many times that he wishes he could "turn his ears off" when he gets them like I can, as the noise makes them worse.

I've had migraines all my life, before, and after my implant/activation. I haven't noticed any decrease in the frequency of my migraines post-activation, but I do notice that if I HAVE one, I can't stand any noise, and keep my CI off until it goes away. My fiance, who is hearing, also gets very bad migraines and has told me many times that he wishes he could "turn his ears off" when he gets them like I can, as the noise makes them worse.

There are advantages to being deaf!

Ha, ha QFT! I used to get awful migraines all the time. They appear to be stress related.

Wow, obviously your overall stress levels must have come down :) Whether it's CI related or not, it's a good thing!

I know it's REAL terrible!

I was suffered migraine attack when I was a little girl. Migraine is gone when I got my first period at age 11.

It goes back to me again after move to live in Germany in 1985. I took migraine pills to prevent it. I took it right way when I had the feeling the migraine comes. Everyone told me that migraine will be gone when I have a child but it's still the same.

I can't talk to anyone when I got migraine attack. I do is stay in the dark room. I got vomited sometimes... sweat body... Terrible one... Nobody should touch me... It's main worst than "headache".

Migraine is gone after birth to 2nd son in 1996. OMG! I haven't got it for over 11 years... ***knock on the wall***

That's an interesting experience Liebling. It sounds like migranes are still quite a bit mystery.

I have male friend who has one once a week and they have tried everything - gone to see a neurologist, acupuncture, change in diet but nothing seems to improve it. He basically has to lie down and wait for it to pass.

Speaking of migraines, tension headaches. I frequently get them lots in past. Till I got CI 6 years ago and my migraine was getting infrequently...
Then... Now I'm getting more of tension headaches... so I gotta join yoga and do more mediation I'm getting tired of rely on pills or go to ER... I notice I get them more in wintertime than summer... I guess begin in house doing nothing gets me bored and impatiently... this year now my 3 children goes school included my little one at head start 830 to 1230, my headaches gets less and less then I get chance to go find a job...

Wooho I can't wait for a *good news*
On 2 things!

When I used to wear HA I used to have migranes really badly and took a lot of pain killers. I was also in an abusive relationship at the time so that didn't help much at all.

I still get headaches sometimes but not severe enough to need pain releif thank goodness.

I talked to my doctor on Friday and he said he has no idea! At least he is honest. I'm going to talk to my CI doctor. Oh well, I guess I can just enjoy not having to take so many pills.

Went to the dr on Friday for this new episode of mild migraines popping up near my right eye daily. Before, I would get them once or twice a year but since returning work, this particular one would pop up daily and when it would go away, I would feel so exhausted and have trouble keeping my eyes open. The dr prescribed some powerful meds and to reduce caffine intake. Hope it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back