Has anyone else had issues with captioning and paying attention?

Oh, I just remembered. When I was in college, it was mandatory to take a foreign language class for my biology major. And ASL was not even considered, despite the fact that I filed a complaint with the university. So, I ended up taking Latin, since many of the words are derived from the dead language. Well, the class was most difficult because we all had to speak in Latin. I know I totally flunked that class. My professor passed me, which I did not even expect it at all.

haha...I am a linguistics major and I have to take courses like "Phonetics" and "Acoustics". There is also a language requirement and I need to take 2 years of a non-romantic, non-germanic language. I'm looking forward to that...

Oh lord.my university doesn't consider asl, so I have to take Latin also, but I'm pretty sure there's no speaking!

Oh lord.my university doesn't consider asl, so I have to take Latin also, but I'm pretty sure there's no speaking!

I am not allowed to take latin, it has to be a spoken language. They won't let me use ASL because I already know ASL. They want us to have the experience of learning a new language. Really I am not all that concerned at this point.

Ah, thankfully my major does not require that. I did ask if they would take asl from another college or elsewhere, but they flat out said no, with no reason. I only know basic asl and would like to learn more. It would've been nice to learn and fill my foreign language requirement at the same time, but oh well.

Oh, I just remembered. When I was in college, it was mandatory to take a foreign language class for my biology major. And ASL was not even considered, despite the fact that I filed a complaint with the university. So, I ended up taking Latin, since many of the words are derived from the dead language. Well, the class was most difficult because we all had to speak in Latin. I know I totally flunked that class. My professor passed me, which I did not even expect it at all.

believe me, this happen more often then you think. I passed college english and I didn't even deserve it. Makes me wonder why am I wasting my money if I'm not going to learn anything from it. Those class with "fake" passing grades (because I'm deaf) would have more useful in classes that I can actually learn.

Luckily my language requirements aren't too bad. Took half year english in college, which i did fine in b/c i can write a pretty decent essay. I still need to take another half year course, but i'll probably just take french because I was in immersion in elementary/high school and my sister is doing a masters in french (and can therefore correct my written work ;) )
*EQL*

Latin- I've taken two years. I have done sub-standard pretty much both years. An OK grade in general, but.. I don't do noun endings. Too much. The class I was taking also didn't really require learning it as a spoken language. It was more learning to translate/fill in missing words. I took it because I figured there was less of a chance of it being spoken (I took a couple years of Spanish, and my spanish class loved me because during the ORAL parts of the tests, the teacher would play the recording a couple of times for me specifically, and everyone else would hear it a couple times too). and I genuinely wanted to learn Latin.
Also, I believe I've been passed through a math class. Like, a little bit over passed, because I did all the homework I could. I'm pretty sure I got a 0 on class participation though. I took a remedial summer class that was basically for a class I took years ago (they use a different mathematics program then us), yet the students were older than I, and there was a group of kids that would come to ME during the class asking if I could explain something or help them. Got an A in the summer class, then got my bad actual math grade bumped up.
I don't know what I'm going to do about college. My brother (hearing) had a professor who's accent was so thick that he dropped it to take it later with a different teacher.
And my biggest accent-issues usually just come from people in public. I live in smalltown, USA, but the accents kill me.

Make way for ESB (Extreme Social Bluffing).

Back