Goodwill rivaling department stores in prices

That is high. And we never go into those anymore because of the resurgence of bedbugs . Don't want to bring any home with used items.

Interesting article. There is a brand-new Goodwill store that just opened up where I just moved to, so I haven't been to that one yet. But I've always stuck with things I think I can't bring home bugs on, etc. Like dishes, that sort of thing. I'll have to check out the new one and see what they have and what kind of prices.

Interesting article. There is a brand-new Goodwill store that just opened up where I just moved to, so I haven't been to that one yet. But I've always stuck with things I think I can't bring home bugs on, etc. Like dishes, that sort of thing. I'll have to check out the new one and see what they have and what kind of prices.

I know it may be illogical, but I actually worry I could get some on my clothes just in passing

I know it may be illogical, but I actually worry I could get some on my clothes just in passing

You never know.

Same as how I refuse to pick up furniture that's marked "FREE!" on the street.

Goodwill made a major change a number of years ago. They don't rely on just donations anymore, they now also buy new items and sell them along with the other stuff they bring in. With the change came higher prices. I haven't shopped there in years.

Used to frequent a new Goodwill store near my home...but the prices were too high....There is another huge store that has everything...good prices and a Senior Citizen day with 30 % off....I did ask one of the Clerks if they sprayed for bed bugs?...She said..."I'm sure they do"....:hmm:

Even several Rental Centers here in my City have been sued by customers renting a mattress or sofa that had bed bugs....Aarons was sued 2 times...

I don't buy used furniture (mattress, sofas, chairs)...but metal stands or anything metal or iron seems safe....

And when I bought a new boxspring for my bed. I demanded them to enclose it on heavy-duty plastic, and they did (to be on the safe side).

Garage Sales/Estate Sales?...I ask for the item to be put into a plastic bag if it's made of cloth....and it's washed in hot water and dried at high heat...just in case....Been lucky so far.

Used to frequent a new Goodwill store near my home...but the prices were too high....There is another huge store that has everything...good prices and a Senior Citizen day with 30 % off....I did ask one of the Clerks if they sprayed for bed bugs?...She said..."I'm sure they do"....:hmm:

Even several Rental Centers here in my City have been sued by customers renting a mattress or sofa that had bed bugs....Aarons was sued 2 times...

I don't buy used furniture (mattress, sofas, chairs)...but metal stands or anything metal or iron seems safe....

And when I bought a new boxspring for my bed. I demanded them to enclose it on heavy-duty plastic, and they did (to be on the safe side).

Garage Sales/Estate Sales?...I ask for the item to be put into a plastic bag if it's made of cloth....and it's washed in hot water and dried at high heat...just in case....Been lucky so far.

Bedbugs are impossible to rid without use extremely high heat so don't take cashier's word if they did treat the bedbugs.

Yes, that's true Foxrac.....A lot of places like group homes, shelters, etc., require you to put all your belongings in the dryer before being allowed to take your belongings inside....Feel even the jails and prisons are now requiring to do the same thing.

Yes, that's true Foxrac.....A lot of places like group homes, shelters, etc., require you to put all your belongings in the dryer before being allowed to take your belongings inside....Feel even the jails and prisons are now requiring to do the same thing.

Yes, that's sad about DDT and other dangerous chemicals are banned and they were 100% effective to kill bedbugs and brown recluse spiders.

Deaf school in my state didn't have brown recluse spiders when they used DDT and dangerous chemicals (can't remember name) so now, DDT is banned and they have serious brown recluse spider infestation since 1980s.

I already traumatic to brown recluse spiders because they got on my body and didn't bite, also I found 6 brown recluse spiders in my bed when I was in deaf school.

Brown recluse? Yuck!!!!!!! That would terrify me. I am very afraid of spiders.

Brown recluse? Yuck!!!!!!! That would terrify me. I am very afraid of spiders.

You live in Minnesota, is it correct?

You don't have to worry about brown recluse spiders - they are only limited to southeastern states and lower midwestern states.

but it could be possible if you transport furnitures from southern states.

That is correct, I've not heard of any here, but they have been spotted in Wisconsin which is right next door to me by 20 miles.

Yes, that's sad about DDT and other dangerous chemicals are banned and they were 100% effective to kill bedbugs and brown recluse spiders.

Deaf school in my state didn't have brown recluse spiders when they used DDT and dangerous chemicals (can't remember name) so now, DDT is banned and they have serious brown recluse spider infestation since 1980s.

I already traumatic to brown recluse spiders because they got on my body and didn't bite, also I found 6 brown recluse spiders in my bed when I was in deaf school.
:eek3:

We have never had a Goodwill store in the small Southern Illinois community where I live. But there was a time in the 1950's when trucks from St. Louis would come to town and pick up contributions left on the front porch. Which day(s) they would be in town would be in the newspaper and on the radio.

Among the things they would take were small appliances that they had a repair training program for. After the trainees repaired them they were sold.

Goodwill stores are very popular here.

I've gotten some good deals there. Everything I get I thoroughly clean before using. I don't get any upholstered furniture from there.

I've done my share of donating lots of stuff to them, too.

Thrifty Shopper opened down the street from my home last Saturday. I bought beautiful Christmas ornaments from there.

You live in Minnesota, is it correct?

You don't have to worry about brown recluse spiders - they are only limited to southeastern states and lower midwestern states.

but it could be possible if you transport furnitures from southern states.

My husband was bit by a brown recluse in his basement in high school. Took a big chunk of necrotic tissue from his chest. That was in Michigan.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

That is correct, I've not heard of any here, but they have been spotted in Wisconsin which is right next door to me by 20 miles.

Yes, that happened on spot location and brown recluse spiders are difficult to colonize and they usually infested in one location.

Most southerners move to midwestern, northern and western states in between 1900s to 1950s for better job opportunities like in Detroit - that why they inherited brown recluse spiders in furnitures and boxes.

My husband was bit by a brown recluse in his basement in high school. Took a big chunk of necrotic tissue from his chest. That was in Michigan.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

That's rare cases - brown recluse spiders are native in lower midwest and southeastern states and they cannot spread like killer bees and mosquitoes.

There will be 80% chance that you will get bite by brown recluse spider in Tennessee when compare to less than 5% in Michigan.

Northwestern states have hobo spiders and their bite is similar to brown recluse spiders, but hobo spiders do spread since brown recluse spiders stay in same territory as in 1950s.

My grandfather got bit by brown recluse spider in 1958 when he lived in Alabama and had some tissues removed, also it was year after marriage.

Back