girl refuses medical treatment

This 13 years old girl was told that she needs a heart transplant but she's refusing her treatment even though she claims she understands that she will probably die.

I’ll take my chances, says Hannah Jones after refusing heart swap - Times Online

Opinions?

This teenager is likely to die even if she has the transplant due to a recurrance of cancer brought on by the immunosuppressive drugs she'll need to take to prevent organ rejection. I admire her for having the maturity and the courage to make such a decision. I also applaud her parents for standing by her.

This teenager is likely to die even if she has the transplant due to a recurrance of cancer brought on by the immunosuppressive drugs she'll need to take to prevent organ rejection. I admire her for having the maturity and the courage to make such a decision. I also applaud her parents for standing by her.

Yup.

I agree she is very brave. She knows the risk and the posibility of the transplant not working..etc

She said aready she is tired of hospitals. She wants to stay home and let nature take its course.

i think that girl need serious change heart treatment than nothing!

many million heart patient who will get change heart treatment or DIED!

It is her choice to make a decision. She is really brave young lady! She's beautiful young lady with cute freckles!

Since she is tired of hospital and wanted to let the nature take over. I don't blame her. But I would feel sad though too.

Everyone lives and is appointed to die. She apparently understood it.

A tough choice for her indeed, but that's her brave decision.

Well my anut Debbie did the same thing when she was on the cancer related to Leukemania, the doctor did recommend her to take the radiator to eliminate the cancer, but she felt too weak for the radiator and are very tired of hostipal's pains, also her suffer with the cancer so she just let the nature take it course.

I can understand that girl's feelings, I have seen it in my eyes and it's not fun.

This is heart breaking! I can not imgine how the parents dealt with this. I would not want to give up on her, but to face my daughters crying eyes asking me to support her wish, what can you do? So many years in pain in the hospital. But very hard to let go of her. As a parent i don't know if I could be as strong as this child! Is she making the right choice? I don't know. May God Bless her and her family!

repost

Liebling, there's another thread about this already.... Can you ask the mods to merge the two threads about this topic?

repost

Liebling, there's another thread about this already.... Can you ask the mods to merge the two threads about this topic?

I search another thread to match my thread here but I find none? Can you please provide the link here which is easy for Admin. or Mod.(s) to merge my thread to someone´s thread?

Brave girl. Don't blame her though. But terribly sad for her parents to stand by and watch her die. :(

i think that girl need serious change heart treatment than nothing!

many million heart patient who will get change heart treatment or DIED!

Sara, I don't think you understand. This girl has already been through so much in her short life. She had cancer when she was younger, and it was rough for her. She has been in and out of the hospital for a great deal of her life. And, the cancer treatment caused damage to her heart. Now, if she goes ahead with the heart transplant, she would need to take immunosuppressive anti-rejection drugs so that her body would not reject the new heart. One of the risks of taking the immunosuppressive drugs is that it would suppress her immune system, and as a result, make her more susceptible to another bout of cancer. Then she would have to go through the chemotherapy, and possible radiation, and it would, again, damage her new heart. She doesn't want to suffer anymore with the chemotherapy and radiation and the risk of it damaging the new heart. She wants to just live her life and not suffer and just let nature take its course. She is very aware that she may die if she does not get the new heart, but she has accepted that risk. It's her decision, and you have to respect that.

Sara, I don't think you understand. This girl has already been through so much in her short life. She had cancer when she was younger, and it was rough for her. She has been in and out of the hospital for a great deal of her life. And, the cancer treatment caused damage to her heart. Now, if she goes ahead with the heart transplant, she would need to take immunosuppressive anti-rejection drugs so that her body would not reject the new heart. One of the risks of taking the immunosuppressive drugs is that it would suppress her immune system, and as a result, make her more susceptible to another bout of cancer. Then she would have to go through the chemotherapy, and possible radiation, and it would, again, damage her new heart. She doesn't want to suffer anymore with the chemotherapy and radiation and the risk of it damaging the new heart. She wants to just live her life and not suffer and just let nature take its course. She is very aware that she may die if she does not get the new heart, but she has accepted that risk. It's her decision, and you have to respect that.

:gpost: You explained this beautifully! I would also like to add that the immunosuppression would also make her susceptible to infections. It wouldn't really be much of a life.

Wow, this is sad, but same time, brave of the girl knowing the end is coming. This must be the most difficult time a parent will ever face. This is touching and inspiration story. Hopefully there will be a movie that will produce her story in her honor how she inspiration.

Hopefully she goes in peacefully and no pain. God bless her and her family in the most difficult time.

Wow..Brave! :( I am thoughts and prayers of her and other people too :aw:

Back