getting out of may me me me life..

birdlady

Reaction score
I am sorry that I have been away from all the friends I have met on this forum. I get letters everyday from some one trying to meet others that are in the same as me. I would like to be able to help,but dont know how to start.. First I would like to see that 911 calls and any emergency calls can go threw a cell phone.. I( am going to the local police dept and finding out how to get this done. The police dept answer the phone" as Per My husband " 911 what city are you calling from? Then it is paused and what is your emergency? any one deaf that had a fire and called would not hear the 911 operator say these things. they would of already said I have a fire.. at the address. It would be too late. the operator would think it was a miss dial or prank. cause the deaf person had already hung up. Most citys dont let you text. they should have a autmatic system that picks up on cells.. especially 911. all of us cant go threw voco. dont know if that is the right system name to use.but you do know what i am talking about. and 2nd They should all have basic conversation ASL to understand how to know what is going on. any one in the public that works with the public should know the basics. asl.. after all we cant said press one for asl. 2 for spanish 3 for english . It doesnt matter what you speak,spanish ,english it should be about comunicateing ASL.. If I am wrong tell me.. and the Bigest one is can you hold? NO I never heard that..

If one is DEAF can one use a VCO TTY-assuming one speaks?

aside: I am bilateral DEAF-since December 20, 2006.. My TTY is Ultra Tec 1140- purchased in January 1996

Relax! Major changes are on way, less than 2 years from now, EVERY place in the United States will have 911 access though text, and majority of cell phone has GPS built in.

I have had a Deaf guy actually dialed 911 on his cell phone and said nothing, 5 minutes later cops showed up!

I personally had used 911 5 times already, and the longest wait time I had to deal was no more than 3 minutes before the highly respected first responder showed up.

Technology has changed so much, and it is far far far better today than it was 20 years ago, especially for Deafies.

I am sorry, we can not expect everybody to know ASL, it is not going to happen. WHY? Most hearing people, again I said MOST hearing people actually never met Deaf person in their lifetime, and you EXPECT them to know this? That is the problem with that attitude.

Quit thinking negative, give room for positive. Plus there are 5 VRS companies out there that offers 911 on cell phone, whats wrong with it? And YES! I have used 911 on my Cell phone report a car on fire in the middle of highway, it takes less than 3 minutes for firemen show up. And best of all, VRS service is FREE!

I wonder if there is a way for the 911 offices to know we are deaf. For example they know I use oxygen and when there is a black out or another disaster I am suppose to get help first. From my understanding when calling 911 just repeat your issues and your address a few times. Just say "I am deaf, I am deaf, I have fallen and I can't get up, my address is etc etc etc. then Maybe say it again. I think I have read that works. I have read stories where people would call 911 and not say a word because their emergency prevented them from that and 911 responded. Maybe speak to your local 911 dispatcher to see how it would work. Then you will feel a little safer. Believe me I have thought a lot about this lately being totally deaf and with a broken leg. What if I fell?

the worry in uk is so many children watch american cop shows and think 911 is our emergancy number i read somewhere if child dials 911 it accepted as emerency call just rerouted...no says alot for education

What is a VRS service?

Google Sorenson VRS. That is one example of VRS service.

Also, how many deaf people are most of the world going to meet? Then factor in a large # of those deaf people that doesn't use ASL. Would I go and learn Spanish if I'm going to use it maybe once or twice? Not everyone wants or needs to learn ASL.

Just dial 911 and there go!

24898421.jpg

I wonder if there is a way for the 911 offices to know we are deaf. For example they know I use oxygen and when there is a black out or another disaster I am suppose to get help first. From my understanding when calling 911 just repeat your issues and your address a few times. Just say "I am deaf, I am deaf, I have fallen and I can't get up, my address is etc etc etc. then Maybe say it again. I think I have read that works. I have read stories where people would call 911 and not say a word because their emergency prevented them from that and 911 responded. Maybe speak to your local 911 dispatcher to see how it would work. Then you will feel a little safer. Believe me I have thought a lot about this lately being totally deaf and with a broken leg. What if I fell?

I dont have internet access to post a live video on here. I moved where I am a year ago so far I have not needed 911 ,thank god. But ,some one told me that they dont do cells. my husband had to call for my mother in law and that is why he was upset .What if I had to call. You pantic in emergencys. but I think for all the thoughts. gave me something to think about. I live in senior comunity and they are all mostly recluse people .I have been here a year and not one has tried to even chat with me over the fence.. I am a good lip reader. and no I am far from negative. sorry if i seem that way..

Google Sorenson VRS. That is one example of VRS service.

Also, how many deaf people are most of the world going to meet? Then factor in a large # of those deaf people that doesn't use ASL. Would I go and learn Spanish if I'm going to use it maybe once or twice? Not everyone wants or needs to learn ASL.

Thanks fella! I will look it up. Being able to communicate is a beautiful thing. Even better than that is have people to communicate with.

Back