Getting Movie Theater to Carry Captions

DeafBadger

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get their local movie theater to carry captioning, such as CaptiView or the Sony Glasses?

How did you do it? Did you gather information about these devices and make an appointment with the movie theater manager to talk about it?

What kind of concerns or issues did the theater have about it? Equipment investment costs? Return on investment?

How did you ease their fears about adopting the technology?

Thanks. I want to try to get the local theaters to do the same where I live.

I like Doremi CaptiView. It's comfortable despite gooseneck end plugged to cupholder. One time the screw got loose underneath gooseneck end "cork" and it won't stay put. I had to use my key to try tighten hex bolt. I managed to get it tightened enough to stay put but I ended up almost couldn't start my jeep because the key tip was skewed from hex bolt tightening. I bought "Swiss One" Keychain multi-pliers so that I won't be using key to tighten bolts when I need to. I have no problem watching 3D movie with 3D glasses and watch CaptiView. Convenient!! It was in Merriam Cinemax theater

As for Sony Glasses, I heard friend told me that she had an issue with it. It missed Caption and sometime it won't show at all. It was in Olathe, KS AMC 30 theater. She complained to Theater manager and she got free ticket for next movie. I am concerned that if you're watching 3D movie and have Rx Glasses + 3D Glasses + Sony Glasses = 6 eyed nerdy look . :eek2:

I remembered trying out Rear Wall Captioning, I hate it so much on first time because 1. I had to adjust it so I can see reflection of RWC but it's not where I wanted to see, 2. people behind me either tall or getting off and on seat constatnly blocks the view! That was my former Nemesis.

I might want to try talk with Dickerson Theater manager (WestGlen theater in Shawnee, KS) which is the closest theater which do not have CaptiView so see if they will invest that equipment for us and others to use.

As for fear of adopting technology, There's no fear at all. I'm sure that us Deafie are looking forward to it.

Catty

i did use glasses with caption at movie theaters its cool i would love to watch that glasses with caption than nothing..I went movie at Regal Cinemas in NLR (North Little Rock,Ar) they have caption glasses..

pain in the butt haha

I went to NY and saw a movie in the IMAX theater. I used what looked like GIANT 3D glasses. The subtitles were pretty neat how they appeared. But it was in the MIDDLE of the screen so annoying haha. But hey, I will take what I can get in order to understand what is going on. I have seen a movie before and it had subtitles on, my friend who is a manager at a theater says if someone calls and asks for subtitles they will honor it as long as it's a showing that will not be crowded. Also I have used the subtitle app on my iPhone. I do know in densely populated cities like Miami and NY they will comply with the request being that so many people are HOH or deaf. However, where I live- it's a rarity so I am stuck with watching movies when they come on DVD, unless I wanna wear those goofy glasses lol

Haha, yeah the glasses have to be adjusted to put the text where you want it.

On the side of the glasses, you can move the text up your down, so they don't have to be in the middle of the screen. They can even be above the screen or below the screen.

Back