Foreclosure "epidemic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
From your link

"If you didn't pay your mortgage, you shouldn't be in your house. Period. People are getting upset about something that's just procedural," said Walter Todd, portfolio manager at Greenwood Capital Associates.

Me like

Bottom line; yes.

However, were those loans made under "unrealistic" terms.... I.e homeowner is not really understanding the precarious situation they're in if they lose a job (or partner does?) or the mortgage was fixed?

On a another note... The same source of article did run a story days ago about how bankers were "expecting" record bonuses to be paid out this (or next?) quarter? I mean shi* I really believed ridiculous compensation packages wouldnt be doled out after the bust. I appreciate hard work but uhhhh we're "in" a recession?

Ask the bank to produce the original note. If they cannot find it, they cannot legally foreclose.

Bottom line; yes.

However, were those loans made under "unrealistic" terms.... I.e homeowner is not really understanding the precarious situation they're in if they lose a job (or partner does?) or the mortgage was fixed?

On a another note... The same source of article did run a story days ago about how bankers were "expecting" record bonuses to be paid out this (or next?) quarter? I mean shi* I really believed ridiculous compensation packages wouldnt be doled out after the bust. I appreciate hard work but uhhhh we're "in" a recession?

Meh, buyer beware. People make all kinds of stupid purchases they can't afford. Maybe you should have to pass a test before you buy..... :lol:

Meh, buyer beware. People make all kinds of stupid purchases they can't afford. Maybe you should have to pass a test before you buy..... :lol:

Hahhahha :facepalm:..... At least with my student Loans...federal at least... It was pretty clear what would happen if I didn't pay... Some sort of loan "education" note thingy. Unfortunately wells Fargo kind of screwed me and my stepdad over and didnt really read the sections about terms of repayment

Well, here's a personal story. My mother's house was foreclosed out of blue - no warnings whatsoever. Her house was sold to a new buyer a week later. She was devastated. She contacted an attorney. Three weeks later, she got her house and her bank settled with her and let her pay a few hundreds dollars LESS a month than she originally paid for.

What happened was that she called the bank and wanted to modify her mortgage terms and they agreed to change it. She hasn't gotten the modification back. She waited for two months to get the modified mortgage. She documented everything, from phone calls and in person meetings. She provided documentation to the attorney. The attorney contacted the bank and asked for verification. Her bank admitted that it FAILED to notify her about the revised mortgage and that it did NOT follow the correct procedure. In fact, the bank admitted it still haven't done the revised mortgage thus has NEVER informed her. Because it was clearly the fault of the bank, the bank settled with her before it could go to court.

So, she's happy that she's paying a lot less now. :)

I also think her job as an estate realtor gave her the edge that most people don't have.

I could see foreclosures coming when I got mail telling me I qualify for mortgages loans etc in my old neighborhood in Charlotte, NC. Then the housing bubble burst and surprise, surprise my old neighborhood had the highest foreclosures in Charlotte, NC.

It's a two way street. Banks and other institutions should not be offering mortgages or other loans to low income or high credit risk people because there's a high risk of a default on the person's part nor should low income people take on loans or mortgages they can't afford.

I could see foreclosures coming when I got mail telling me I qualify for mortgages loans etc in my old neighborhood in Charlotte, NC. Then the housing bubble burst and surprise, surprise my old neighborhood had the highest foreclosures in Charlotte, NC.

It's a two way street. Banks and other institutions should not be offering mortgages or other loans to low income or high credit risk people because there's a high risk of a default on the person's part nor should low income people take on loans or mortgages they can't afford.

A two-way street? It seems to me that the banks are responsible for checking the financial status of those who apply, i.e., checking out the accuracy of the stated earnings of the applicants. Let's say, a guy claims to earn ten thousand a month and the bank believes him. How dumb is that?

A two-way street? It seems to me that the banks are responsible for checking the financial status of those who apply, i.e., checking out the accuracy of the stated earnings of the applicants. Let's say, a guy claims to earn ten thousand a month and the bank believes him. How dumb is that?

People are buying homes they know they can't afford.....how dumb is that??

The formula for what you can afford is very simple......

My mom's bank is Wells Fargo - the one that settled with her.

"Wells Fargo & Co. does not plan to halt foreclosures despite an employee's testimony that she signed up to 500 foreclosure documents daily without reading them."

Wells Fargo WON'T Halt Foreclosures Despite Evidence That Servicers Didn't Read Paperwork

Not good at all.

Stupid Wells Fargo. I have personal beef with them since my mom works for Wachovia (now bought by Wells Fargo). A lot of negativity/lies there.

Oh, also Id like to add, yes people shouldn't buy houses they cannot afford. But then again, they can afford it IF they still worked their jobs....

Should people make that assumption? That they will always have a job?

Stupid Wells Fargo. I have personal beef with them since my mom works for Wachovia (now bought by Wells Fargo). A lot of negativity/lies there.

Oh, also Id like to add, yes people shouldn't buy houses they cannot afford. But then again, they can afford it IF they still worked their jobs....

No, that is why a good rule of thumb is to have 12 months of house payments in savings before buying......Can't afford to do that?? Don't buy....simple.

That is one of the problems. They lose their jobs they thought secure and fall through the cracks. I have heard of towns where the sheriff refuses to evict people from foreclosed homes. Good.

Well, here's a personal story. My mother's house was foreclosed out of blue - no warnings whatsoever. Her house was sold to a new buyer a week later. She was devastated. She contacted an attorney. Three weeks later, she got her house and her bank settled with her and let her pay a few hundreds dollars LESS a month than she originally paid for.

What happened was that she called the bank and wanted to modify her mortgage terms and they agreed to change it. She hasn't gotten the modification back. She waited for two months to get the modified mortgage. She documented everything, from phone calls and in person meetings. She provided documentation to the attorney. The attorney contacted the bank and asked for verification. Her bank admitted that it FAILED to notify her about the revised mortgage and that it did NOT follow the correct procedure. In fact, the bank admitted it still haven't done the revised mortgage thus has NEVER informed her. Because it was clearly the fault of the bank, the bank settled with her before it could go to court.

So, she's happy that she's paying a lot less now. :)

I also think her job as an estate realtor gave her the edge that most people don't have.

Oh my gosh, unbelievable how the bank treated your Mom. As long as she has her house back and pay lower mortgage monthly. If I were her, I would be freak out. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back