For UK/NZ/AUS sport fans

Bythefrozenlake

Reaction score
for those who are from New Zealand, Australia, and England, how the heck do you play cricket?

Gimme descriptions. :D

Originally posted by Bythefrozenlake
for those who are from New Zealand, Australia, and England, how the heck do you play cricket?

Gimme descriptions. :D

G'day...although I'm not a full-blooded Australian, but an American....and am a Permanent Resident of Australia. I love watching Cricket. You could get more information on how cricket is played by going to

Baggy Green (cricket)

There are 12 players on the team, but only 11 actually play and the 12th person is for back up should another player gets injured or unable to play.
There are 6 balls per over -- 50 overs (per team) for One Day Tests and 4 innings/unlimited overs for the 5 day Tests.

I will get WonderBum (another AD who's a New Zealander) to come in here and probably explain this better than me! ;)

I do understand the game, but it's just a bit difficult to explain this in layman language. :D

Cheers!

At the moment the Deaf Ashes is being played in Australia - in other words, it's a contest between England deaf and Aussie deaf cricket teams. Check out website www.deafcricketaust.com for all scores and updates. By the way, Australia is winning all their matches and giving the poor Poms a belting!! :smash:

AussieGirl said:
At the moment the Deaf Ashes is being played in Australia - in other words, it's a contest between England deaf and Aussie deaf cricket teams. Check out website www.deafcricketaust.com for all scores and updates. By the way, Australia is winning all their matches and giving the poor Poms a belting!! :smash:

Woo hoo! Sure wish it was televised like the other cricket games. :( Oh well...just have to find out when the Melbourne test will come around to town so I can check it out for myself! Have never seen a deaf cricketing team.

BTW, am itching to see the next cricket game when Shane Warne finally bowls after his 12 month ban finished a few days ago. ;) I know he's a great leg-spinner...I do also like Brett Lee for his lightning fast bowls and Andy Bichel as well.

Hey, AussieGirl -- whereabouts are you from? You can PM me if you wish. I'm in Scoresby, Victoria. :wave:

WaterRats13 said:
Woo hoo! Sure wish it was televised like the other cricket games. :( Oh well...just have to find out when the Melbourne test will come around to town so I can check it out for myself! Have never seen a deaf cricketing team.

BTW, am itching to see the next cricket game when Shane Warne finally bowls after his 12 month ban finished a few days ago. ;) I know he's a great leg-spinner...I do also like Brett Lee for his lightning fast bowls and Andy Bichel as well.

Hey, AussieGirl -- whereabouts are you from? You can PM me if you wish. I'm in Scoresby, Victoria. :wave:

G'day Waterrats, I'm from Deniliquin, NSW. I sent you a PM thru your hotmail today! :thumb:
I used to go to school with Adam Gilchrist, he was in my grade 3 class in 1980! :cheers:
Yeah I'm glad that Warnie's back too. Cricket's not the same without him!

AussieGirl said:
G'day Waterrats, I'm from Deniliquin, NSW. I sent you a PM thru your hotmail today! :thumb:
I used to go to school with Adam Gilchrist, he was in my grade 3 class in 1980! :cheers:
Yeah I'm glad that Warnie's back too. Cricket's not the same without him!
Woo hoo...I like Adam Gilchrist!

Oh, there's one other person that hasn't played for a while -- Glenn McGrath, he's a good bowler, too. ;)

Are you still in touch with Gilchrist? ;)

WaterRats13 said:
Woo hoo...I like Adam Gilchrist!

Oh, there's one other person that hasn't played for a while -- Glenn McGrath, he's a good bowler, too. ;)

Are you still in touch with Gilchrist? ;)

Nah! haven't seen him in person since grade 3! He moved to another town with his family after that. :dunno:

www.englanddeafcricket.com

Hi AussieGirl, you won't believe it, I went to Wesley College to watch these deaf cricket players and I met my old school mate there, and he introduced me to your fiance today! Ha Ha, :thumb:

By the way, heaps of congratulations on your forthcoming wedding to S!! :applause:

RedRum said:
www.englanddeafcricket.com

Hi AussieGirl, you won't believe it, I went to Wesley College to watch these deaf cricket players and I met my old school mate there, and he introduced me to your fiance today! Ha Ha, :thumb:

By the way, heaps of congratulations on your forthcoming wedding to S!! :applause:

Thanks!! :cheers:
Wowowow!! Small world eh! :)
Hey Waterrats, did you go to the deaf cricket today too??

G'day!!!

I absolutely worship cricket!! I have been playing cricket since I was 3 and I've a killer arm for bowling - I'm a fastballer... can do spin bowling sometimes...
I havent played cricket since last year *cries*

AussieGirl said:
Thanks!! :cheers:
Wowowow!! Small world eh! :)
Hey Waterrats, did you go to the deaf cricket today too??

Aww, gee...now you've sent a pang of guilt through my heart! You won't believe it, but I completely FORGOT about it! :cry: I got a message from RedRum asking where I was and I was at a friend's house about an hour away from Wesley's College, gee! :roll: Tsk on my horrid memory! :lol:

I just hope that I won't forget the next one when it does come up again! ;)

Sherrie said:
G'day!!!

I absolutely worship cricket!! I have been playing cricket since I was 3 and I've a killer arm for bowling - I'm a fastballer... can do spin bowling sometimes...
I havent played cricket since last year *cries*

Wow...you used to play cricket yerself? :shock: I wouldn't mind playing cricket informally, :lol: The only thing that will really keep me down is my wonky knees. I won't be able to run properly without popping my kneecaps out. :(
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE watching cricket! Only the One Dayers...not the Test. Ugh...the 5 day test bores me to tears! :laugh2: I enjoy watching Shane Warne bowl...same goes for Glenn McGrath, Gillepsie, Brett Lee.
I absolutely don't like the new bowler (Brad Hogg, I think) cos he kept on sticking his bloody tongue out as he was bowling, it really bothered me! :lol:

Just saw this thread....

Cricket.... an introductory guide....

There are 2 teams (of cos...) 1 team fields the oval pitch and the other fields 2 batsmen....

The most important piece of equipment for the batsmen is not the bat... but the nut protector... a hardened plastic cover to ensure that the ball which is bowled overarm at high speeds do not crush the 'crown jewels'. You can slide this down ya pants....

Thats a start.... I really think ya should look up the rest of the rules on the net as it's too much to type in here for me LOL

Back