FDA-Shocking Results on CI Statically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
“FDA: Shocking Results on Cochlear Implant Stats”|Aguabo|DeafVIDEO.TV

I am very disappointed with Parents who are not thinking more careful before they go ahead to getting their Deaf children cochlear implants. They do not want to deal with their Deaf children to approach new language and culture before they reached into statically successful or not with FDA information.

This has been discussed before. We all know CI is a choice and a risk. Ive also discussed why I won't force CI on children in previous threads. Many who consider or get CI could be getting decent benefit with properly fitted and programmed HAs.

Who Gets CI's

Who gets cochlear implants?

Credit: Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention (CDC) Children and adults who are deaf or severely hard-of-hearing can be fitted for cochlear implants. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as of April 2009, approximately 188,000 people worldwide have received implants. In the United States, roughly 41,500 adults and 25,500 children have received them.

Adults who have lost all or most of their hearing later in life often can benefit from cochlear implants. They learn to associate the signal provided by an implant with sounds they remember. This often provides recipients with the ability to understand speech solely by listening through the implant, without requiring any visual cues such as those provided by lipreading or sign language.

Cochlear implants, coupled with intensive postimplantation therapy, can help young children to acquire speech, language, and social skills. Most children who receive implants are between two and six years old. Early implantation provides exposure to sounds that can be helpful during the critical period when children learn speech and language skills. In 2000, the FDA lowered the age of eligibility to 12 months for one type of cochlear implant.

Who gets cochlear implants?

Credit: Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention (CDC) Children and adults who are deaf or severely hard-of-hearing can be fitted for cochlear implants. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), as of April 2009, approximately 188,000 people worldwide have received implants. In the United States, roughly 41,500 adults and 25,500 children have received them.

Adults who have lost all or most of their hearing later in life often can benefit from cochlear implants. They learn to associate the signal provided by an implant with sounds they remember. This often provides recipients with the ability to understand speech solely by listening through the implant, without requiring any visual cues such as those provided by lipreading or sign language.

Cochlear implants, coupled with intensive postimplantation therapy, can help young children to acquire speech, language, and social skills. Most children who receive implants are between two and six years old. Early implantation provides exposure to sounds that can be helpful during the critical period when children learn speech and language skills. In 2000, the FDA lowered the age of eligibility to 12 months for one type of cochlear implant.

Oh really? Help with social skills and acquiring language? I disagree with this.

I think the reason there is a dearth of stats, etc on the success rate of the cochlear implant is because from 2003 and back 20(approximate)years, they entered clinical trials and parents were informed of this and the risks. About all you can get from the FDA from that time period are the guidelines they set, guidelines which (imo) wouldn't fly/be accepted today because of technological advances of the implant.

I would like to see in-depth numbers, facts, etc on this success rate from 2004. It doesn't appear the FDA's going to be forthcoming with this. Isn't it THEIR job? After all, they are the ones approving this device, right? I'd have a hard time swallowing what the audiologist combine would say if they are the source of that which I and many others would seek because of bias.

So, where do we get the information from 2004 and on?

Shel, you're obviously socially thwarted. I can see it in your pics of you having fun at the food ball game. NOT! :rofl2:

“FDA: Shocking Results on Cochlear Implant Stats”|Aguabo|DeafVIDEO.TV

I am very disappointed with Parents who are not thinking more careful before they go ahead to getting their Deaf children cochlear implants. They do not want to deal with their Deaf children to approach new language and culture before they reached into statically successful or not with FDA information.

Nope. I use ASL with my daughter who has a CI. It is access and options, not laziness.

And believe me parents investigate and research and carefully think about it, long and hard before they decide to get their child a CI.

Shel, I was being sarcastic. You looked like you were having a good time in your pics at the Gallaudet football game.

I resent the idea that deaf people are socially thwarted.

What's wrong with parents giving their children the ability to hear??

Shel, I was being sarcastic. You looked like you were having a good time in your pics at the Gallaudet football game.

I resent the idea that deaf people are socially thwarted.

Ohhh..got it! My brain is not working right now. Yes, I resent the idea that CIs make deaf people socially normal. I teach deaf children with CIs and without..with full access to language at all times, they are not socially thwarted.

Absolutely nothing as long as the decision is based on the right reasons. If a parent decides to chose CI because he/she is afraid the child would be socially thwarted, that would be a wrong reason.

What's wrong with parents giving their children the ability to hear??

There's nothing wrong.

What is wrong is that the FDA don't have statistics, even though they are the ones that approved of it in the first place!

Now there is a stereotype, or propaganda, that cochlear implants are needed to be "normal." Many people think I am implanted, and are shocked to find out that I speak better than their children. They are amazed that even though I could only understand maybe 20-40% of what people say a good day (more like 10% on an average day), that I can be a powerful public speaker; a better speaker than most of my "hearing peers."

The way I look at it... some people are good naturally good speakers... some are not. It happens, even with fully-hearing people.

Ah I understand now why some deaf people are against CI's not just because they can hear but now about social skills being thrawted

Absolutely nothing as long as the decision is based on the right reasons. If a parent decides to chose CI because he/she is afraid the child would be socially thwarted, that would be a wrong reason.

And not allow the child to be exposed to the Deaf community and ASL. That's wrong in my eyes.

DeafLissa,I'm not against CIs. I don't even qualify for CI yet. I have genetic progressive hearing loss. No idea what I'll do when I qualify.

I just want the parents to make the decision carefully based on their child's particular needs.

faire_jour, you're obviously a very informed and involved parent. Your child is lucky. I wish that every deaf kid had a parent like you! :cool2:

DeafLissa,I'm not against CIs. I don't even qualify for CI yet. I have genetic progressive hearing loss. No idea what I'll do when I qualify.

I just want the parents to make the decision carefully based on their child's particular needs.

faire_jour, you're obviously a very informed and involved parent. Your child is lucky. I wish that every deaf kid had a parent like you! :cool2:

I believe that 99% of parents are doing what they believe is best for their children and will be the most benifical in the long run. It is NOT the easy choice.

It is about opening doors, and providing opportunities.

I agree. As a former teacher, however, I understand that parents often have difficulty accepting their children as they are. Even so-called "normal" kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back