Does CI make Deaf hearing?

iavswn

Reaction score
There seems to be some debate on here from both sides. Some think it does and others believe it does not.

I personally think it does. The reason being is because there would be no point to even getting it if it did not restore some or all hearing as its function is to do just that.

I would love to hear your opinions on this though. I would like to see both sides of the argument. Polite debate and discussion please.

Nope, as I still cannot understand speech without lipreading, My environmental awarness is better... so I am still deaf as I was with HA's. It's what I expected. I am not disappointed, glad to be able to hear whats going on around me and my lipreading is much better since I had the CI. So like deafgal001 had said, I think it's superior to HA's

Actually it does not make them hearing. It makes them (when it works well) functionally hoh. Kids with CIs still have to deal with the same stuff that hoh kids have to deal with. They can be better then hearing aids....but its very indivdual. Some audilogically deaf people can be functionally hoh with HAs you know.

They can hear, but are certainly not hearing.

I was always taught there were only two categories, hearing and deaf. (Oh course there are variables within the deaf category like hard of hearing, but generally.) If you have a hearing loss, you are not hearing.

I function rather well as a Deaf individual with the CI. It give me hearing and I can hear speech,music,enviromental sounds as if I was not Deaf. It makes these things easier to understand for me. Hearing aid's distorted sounds to much for me and I couldnt make out music at all with Aides. I can hear some things that hearies cannot..

I function rather well as a Deaf individual with the CI. It give me hearing and I can hear speech,music,enviromental sounds as if I was not Deaf. It makes these things easier to understand for me. Hearing aid's distorted sounds to much for me and I couldnt make out music at all with Aides. I can hear some things that hearies cannot..

This reminds me of the time when I was talking to a co-worker outside of the nursing home. I had my hearing aid then (I only wore one). I told her how hard it is to understand people when I'm picking up background noises while they are talking. Then I told her, "for instant, I'm picking up that bird chirping right now while we are talking" and she was little surprised and said "I did not noticed birds chirping" basically, her ears naturally filtered it out but when I pointed it out to her, she started hearing it. Pretty soon your brain probably filter those sounds and you won't notice it anymore. They call this habituation.

This reminds me of the time when I was talking to a co-worker outside of the nursing home. I had my hearing aid then (I only wore one). I told her how hard it is to understand people when I'm picking up background noises while they are talking. Then I told her, "for instant, I'm picking up that bird chirping right now while we are talking" and she was little surprised and said "I did not noticed birds chirping" basically, her ears naturally filtered it out but when I pointed it out to her, she started hearing it. Pretty soon your brain probably filter those sounds and you won't notice it anymore. They call this habituation.

I know just what you mean. After I got fitted with a new HA to replace my old, broken one, I could constantly hear for weeks the vibrating of my pager going off on the counter (where I usually kept it). I was so amazed at being able to hear that. I no longer hear that. I have filtered it out now. There's been no change in my db loss, so I know it's not that.

Would the additional addenda be of value-"even using a Hearing Aid". This from my experience back in December 2006. Silence!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I think what it all boils down to is yes the CI does give you hearing.. how much determines upon the individual. I am still Deaf without my processor on. With it on I am hearing because I do hear and function pretty much like a hearing person. I just have a device that gives me the stimulation that a normal ear gives. I give props to those Deaf people who choose not to have any device that give's them auditory stimulation it takes a strong person to be able to endure life without hearing or speaking. Especially in a world so dominate in such things. I spent 10 years like that it was a tough road but at that time I had thought that I would die never being able to hear another thing. So I dont want those who choose Deafness to think that I am biased. I am just giving my account on my life experience's.

Wirelessly posted

My daughter is deaf, when she has her CIs on she has access to sound and can hear.

Deaf: A condition of a person who can not hear at all.

Glossary

This means you do not consider the following individuals deaf:

-someone who is moderate deaf
-someone who is severe-moderate (who can only hear really loud noises)
-someone who is profoundly deaf who wears hearing aids and hears only environmental sounds

correct?

Is the suggestion that deafness can be segmented into Hearing Loss categories- moderate /profound? From my direct experience-deafness is SILENCE. Next month it will be 4 years that I became deaf. No change whatsoever when implant disconnected.

Is the suggestion that deafness can be segmented into Hearing Loss categories- moderate /profound? From my direct experience-deafness is SILENCE. Next month it will be 4 years that I became deaf. No change whatsoever when implant disconnected.

Not everyone takes deafness literally.

That is obvious from many comments here eg taking deafness-literally. How else should one take deafness?Does it make sense to say: partially deaf which means partially hearing loss? It seems deafness is the "end of the hearing spectrum"-silence! To me 200% silence doesn't mean anything. Does it -- to anyone else?

That's because you see it from a medical model point of view.

You are entitled to your views but many of us see it from the cultural model hence the different viewpoints.

The question itself may be wrong

A cochlear implant cannot make you hearing because of the fact that if you were not deaf there would be no use for one. My HA's do not make me hearing because if I were not HOH I would not need them in the first place.

Back