Do you feel sorry for any hearing loss

I feel sorry for those who let a few bad experiences with the Deaf community blind them into thinking that everyone in the Deaf community are the same.

You'd never do that...other people however....

Uh-oh! So the question is specifically for hearing/HOH people and oralists since it doesn't make sense for deaf people who also use ASL only to answer it.

LOL nah, that's fine. everyone can answer for this question.

I feel sorry for deafies who live w/ ssi/ssdi.

Well, there are some deafies who worked all their lives until they became too sick to work and had to apply for SSDI...not all deafies are alike....And I don't feel sorry for those deafies who are capable of working but are too lazy to do so and collect SSI....Then again there are some deafies who are not capable enough to hold down a job...and there are hearies the same way....Everyone is different.

Yea especially those are unable to work due to health problems or searching for jobs but unable to land one. I don't feel sorry for those who can work but are lazy. Same with hearing people on welfare.

I can't imagine living in SSDI for the rest of my life. It feels good to be working.

Yea especially those are unable to work due to health problems or searching for jobs but unable to land one. I don't feel sorry for those who can work but are lazy. Same with hearing people on welfare.

I can't imagine living in SSDI for the rest of my life. It feels good to be working.

Well, you guys should look up in the website:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DeafPeopleCantGetJobs?fref=ts

Blogspot: Deaf People Can't Get Jobs

There so many reasons why the Deaf can't get job or give up on job hunting into have a SSI/SSDI. :roll:

I understand now. I would care less if those people don't want to have good grammer, work hard, etc. I don't live other people's life.

Well, there are some deafies who worked all their lives until they became too sick to work and had to apply for SSDI...not all deafies are alike....And I don't feel sorry for those deafies who are capable of working but are too lazy to do so and collect SSI....Then again there are some deafies who are not capable enough to hold down a job...and there are hearies the same way....Everyone is different.
False...sorry, I mean true.

Sometimes it's an experience to come to an understanding to, but no, not worth dwelling over. It has happened, look for ways to adapt and improve on your situation.

Um - well - I am deaf and I have SSDI. I am unable to work. I have looked and looked and still never found anything that I was physically able to do these days and it had nothing to do with losing my hearing. I worked for years, from ages 13 to 38 and got SSDI at 41.

I am sad? Umm..to be honest I do envy those without hearing loss because they face less struggles and frustrations.

For me it is more of being disappointed and upset at people who choose to not look past my deafness and give me the chance or any other deaf people chance because they felt it is inconvenience.

Especially those people who are in positions to be part of the solution and to make the difference.

Um - well - I am deaf and I have SSDI. I am unable to work. I have looked and looked and still never found anything that I was physically able to do these days and it had nothing to do with losing my hearing. I worked for years, from ages 13 to 38 and got SSDI at 41.

well of course - she's referring to deafies who are capable of working and they chose to be lazy and collect money.

well of course - she's referring to deafies who are capable of working and they chose to be lazy and collect money.

How much of that is "lazy" and how much is employer's attitude?

I am not sure how much things have changed since the 1990s. But, when I was looking for an office job (with over 30 years of almost full charge bookkeeping experience) to supplement the salary continuation plan I was on every place that I interviewed turned me down simply because they required every person in the office to answer incoming voice phone calls no matter how willing you were to do other tasks in addition those of your primary job title to free others to handle the phones. Several showed a good deal of interest until they found out that I could not answer those incoming voice phone calls. I do not know how much location had to do with this as I am in a small town in Southern Illinois.

For unemployed deafies need to get an agent from VR counselor will help u to get a goal or job. So, that way u will not take too long on the benefits b4 too late.

u need to find an odd job. It's good for now instead of welfare.

I don't care if you are hearing, epileptic, deaf, blind, albino, white, black, pink, have physical limitations, or if you are an elderly person. Some people are on welfare simply because they cannot get a job in their area being deaf or HOH. Others cannot get a job because they are older and have had strokes. Some can get a job because they don't have a college education. Some can't get a job they have seizures and cannot drive legally to a job.

It doesn't matter if people are deaf or hearing. There will be people that abuse the system either way.

I agree if people can get a job, they should. I'm all for people who can get a job and can work (no matter if they are deaf or hearing) and quit getting benefits off of welfare, they should.

However, telling people to get an odd job when they can't possibly get one or no one will hire them is a bit blunt, don't you think? SSDI and welfare benefit those who need it but yes, as the same time, people will abuse it. No reason to say "you need a job" when you don't know the full circumstances.

Back