Do you feel or think that CI ruin.......?

Do you feel or think that CI ruin the Deaf culture?

• Yes

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • Netural

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
i heard they would shun you if you didn't grow up in a deaf culture.

and the poster that wrote about the newsletter, they were only writing in ASL.

At the risk of facing the firing squad......I have to say that I was totaly mainstreamed, my mother took one look at the deaf school and said no way was her child going there. It was hard yakker but boy am I glad now. I was never exposed to deaf culture in anyway and after my marriage broke up I decided to see what deaf clubs were about. What an eye opener!!!!...I expected to meet people the same as me, however it was like being on another planet. I never did attend any club socials, had the newletter sent for a while but found it to be almost illiterate...yes I know there will be screams of outrage over this statement but it is true. Deaf people do read dont they so there is no reason not to be able to write sensibly.
What I cant never understand is why deaf people want to shut themselves away from the world and be so different, saying they are Deaf like it is a nationality or something. I can only be thankful to my mother (adopted) and the wonderful teachers I had who pushed me ahead.

I am on waiting list for CI but still undecided wether it will make such a drastic change in my life to be worth it.

I understand what you mean. There is a different mentality but that is easily understood. I visited a deaf group in my church about a year plus or so ago and I had to use lipreading to get by as I don't know sign. It was so interesting but I'm too comfortable in the hearing world.

As far as the CI goes...take your time and make sure it is the right thing for you to do if you go with it. I never regretted my choice and so glad that now I'm a cyborg. ;)

So Mr Cyborg (lol).....can you tell me how much difference it has made to you?...my main questions are, did you lipread before and do you still have to (or do you sign totally) did it make any difference to music? and how much hearing if any did you have? I guess thats make a difference to the result.

My half sister had CI done 2 yrs ago and says it is wonderful but she still lipreads, I donht really want a hole in my head (have enough of those) unless it will totally change my life.

About the newletter....as I dont know a thing about ASL then can you explain how a newsletter is written in it. By the way I am in NZ so maybe its a diff sort of SL

oooppss......musta had me blond hat on.....just reread yr post and see that you dont sign and are comfortable in hearing world.....this is the sort of club I was looking for, deaf/hoh so they understand where I am coming from but also wordly wise.......typical female wanting everything hey

Raykat,

To answer your questions...

1) It made all the difference in the world to me. I can use the phone including conference calls, hear and understand in the dark, simply listen and not watch the speaker and all that jazz. Background - I have always been a severely deaf HOH person. Mainstreamed to the hilt and extremely oral which explains alot of my success with a CI.

2) Before I lipread a lot and especially as my hearing was going south in recent years. Nowadays, I rarely lipread and if I do it is when there is a lot of noise in the background. It isn't as hard when I had a HA. It is much easier with my CI.

3) I listen to music all the time. It sounds just as it always has for me...great!!! Actually, it is better than before for me. Although, I admit if the music is complicated and a full range of instruments, then one notices subtle differences. It is nothing to lose sleep over.

Hope that helps...

I think so possible option, I don't know what are you problem ruin cochlear implant. I didn't know everything better than you feel really disappointment> doesn't help you wearing processor not work, if you are not perfect or can do it hear. I option your up to think. I couldn't think hard explain to say difficult to cochlear implant

I voted no. The reason being not eveyone will be a candidate for a CI. Also without the CI you are still deaf. And I guess I still don't really have a grasp on what the Deaf culture really means. I think I get it but then I see the post from Nestmuth and I get confused a bit. I really hope that is not what deaf culture is about. I think the things that Nesmuth describes are really deaf audists and not representitive of what Deaf culture is about. At least I hope not.

Deaf Culture means booting out a person who represents the future of deaf society from running a university. Deaf Culture also means either your deaf or not deaf enough. Deaf Culture also means screw the hearing people. Deaf Culture also means refusing to caption vlogs to make them accessible to the hearing people.

Just what good has Deaf Culture been to the rest of the society? Hearing society spent a lot of money to help us and we've basically been flipping them off in return.

Thats why come up with these things like the CI and other hearing loss mitigations to get rid of Deaf Culure.

Richard

I voted no. The reason being not eveyone will be a candidate for a CI. Also without the CI you are still deaf. And I guess I still don't really have a grasp on what the Deaf culture really means. I think I get it but then I see the post from Nestmuth and I get confused a bit. I really hope that is not what deaf culture is about. I think the things that Nesmuth describes are really deaf audists and not representitive of what Deaf culture is about. At least I hope not.

Believe me that is not what Deaf culture is about..at least not the one I am involved with. I think it depends on who u associate with..if they r mature, intelligent and open minded, then they won't be like what Richard described.

I wanted to add something for Rockdrummer, too but I think it'll come off the wrong way so....difficult to aver as a fact/dogma so I guess I should refrain...

I wanted to add something for Rockdrummer, too but I think it'll come off the wrong way so....difficult to aver as a fact/dogma so I guess I should refrain...
Tousi, I have a pretty open mind and my skin is thick. Say what's on your mind brother.

I voted NO... i met few friends who have CI.... it did not ruin their deaf cultures.....

I vote no. I used to think they would when I was in high school, but now that I'm older and wiser, I see that they don't. They're just like hearing aides, all they do is help you hear- without it you're still deaf.
CI or not, you can still very much be a part of the deaf culture, if you choose to.

Deaf Culture means booting out a person who represents the future of deaf society from running a university. Deaf Culture also means either your deaf or not deaf enough. Deaf Culture also means screw the hearing people. Deaf Culture also means refusing to caption vlogs to make them accessible to the hearing people.

Just what good has Deaf Culture been to the rest of the society? Hearing society spent a lot of money to help us and we've basically been flipping them off in return.

Richard,

I share the same feeling as you.

That is why I am thankful to the hearing society for giving me things that I can use and not take for granted.

It is a shame that some people have to use CI because they're ashamed to be a deaf person.

Richard,

That is why I am thankful to the hearing society for giving me things that I can use and not take for granted.

It is a shame that some people have to use CI because they're ashamed to be a deaf person.
Well said. Some probably do use a CI because they are ashamed but don't forget that some also use it as a tool to bridge the gap resulting in reduced frustrations. Similar to the reasons some folks choose to use HA's.

Richard,

Jordan, don't you use HAs yourself? That is basically what a CI is- another HA.

I use a CI, but I'm definitely not ashamed to be a deaf person. I use it because it works better for me than a HA did. I find it amusing that you act like you're all for hearing people and anti-deaf culture, but the mentality of "people who have CIs are ashamed to be deaf/arent deaf enough" is VERY Deaf. That's the mentiality of most people I know at Gallaudet/deaf schools.

Jordan, don't you use HAs yourself? That is basically what a CI is- another HA.

I use a CI, but I'm definitely not ashamed to be a deaf person. I use it because it works better for me than a HA did. I find it amusing that you act like you're all for hearing people and anti-deaf culture, but the mentality of "people who have CIs are ashamed to be deaf/arent deaf enough" is VERY Deaf. That's the mentiality of most people I know at Gallaudet/deaf schools.

Funny, we have met in person yet, I do not wear hearing aids, once again, your argument is flawed.

I mentioned that because they would say something like this: "I wish I wasn't deaf. I know! I'll get a CI!" How does a CI make you more like a hearing person? Even if you were to deactivate it, you will still die a deaf person regardless of what kind of implants you will have installed into your body by the time you die of old age.

Well said. Some probably do use a CI because they are ashamed but don't forget that some also use it as a tool to bridge the gap resulting in reduced frustrations. Similar to the reasons some folks choose to use HA's.

Right and they choose to take hearing society for granted. Who makes HA's and CI? Hearing people, obviously.

Back