Do deaf people "hear" sounds in their heads?

rough stuff tinnitus

Whatttt?....why you lucky dog, Tousi!...Was my assumption that all deafies had or experienced tinnitus at one time or another...mine has been constant over 50 years.

I could be wrong but its sure news to me....

I read that many years ago, (and it's possible it still happens today)...that so many elderly HOH people complained of "noises" in their heads...Some went to the doctor and were told "it's all in your head"....and had people thinking they actually were going crazy....:hmm:

When I became a member of AD...the noises, ringing and roaring and especially the music that I had heard before losing my hearing were constant....I questioned this here at AD...to find out that I had "musical tinnitus"...very common to those who are late deafened...I wear no HA or a CI....(totally deaf)...

It's a "comfort" somewhat, to know that I don't suffer alone!...and that I was not losing my mind...:giggle:...I've adjusted, learned to "ignore" all these crazy sounds, however, at times it's hard to concentrate.

And I've also learned to curb my intake of any caffeine...drink a glass of water before bedtime, and it's helped a lot. Seems stress triggers tinnitus also...Feel nothing can 100% control/cure tinnitus, but we can learn to adjust and avoid any triggers that make it worse.

I think I control tinnitus bc I aware when it stopped difficult to explain...I know some people can feel suicidal with it,i feel very sorry for them but are things that help a masking device is one and lavender or rose oil also been told milk with malt before bedtime helps and never eat chocholate

I read that many years ago, (and it's possible it still happens today)...that so many elderly HOH people complained of "noises" in their heads...Some went to the doctor and were told "it's all in your head"....and had people thinking they actually were going crazy....:hmm:

When I became a member of AD...the noises, ringing and roaring and especially the music that I had heard before losing my hearing were constant....I questioned this here at AD...to find out that I had "musical tinnitus"...very common to those who are late deafened...I wear no HA or a CI....(totally deaf)...

It's a "comfort" somewhat, to know that I don't suffer alone!...and that I was not losing my mind...:giggle:...I've adjusted, learned to "ignore" all these crazy sounds, however, at times it's hard to concentrate.

And I've also learned to curb my intake of any caffeine...drink a glass of water before bedtime, and it's helped a lot. Seems stress triggers tinnitus also...Feel nothing can 100% control/cure tinnitus, but we can learn to adjust and avoid any triggers that make it worse.

Robin, I have the musical tinnitus too, I kind of like that, but I don't have it too often. Free music, no device of any kind! :giggle:

Robin, I have the musical tinnitus too, I kind of like that, but I don't have it too often. Free music, no device of any kind! :giggle:

Welcome to the "club"!...Those songs from the 50's and 60's will never die (in my head)...that is...My boys laugh when I "cut a rug" and sing a song that's in my head...it's just at night when I'm trying to go to sleep that's it's highly annoying....and getting into a deep conversation with someone is impossible (for me, that is)....

I get tinnitus from time to time too. It's not too frequent but is annoying when it comes around.

Not to hijack this thread, or to reiterate anything that has already been said, but I have a secondary, 3-part question related to this subject:

For those born deaf,
A) When reading say prose or poetry do you mentally vocalize at all?
B) Can you discern metrical nuances such as the ba-dum ba-dum of iambic pentameter etc?
C) Do written words "sound" like anything?

I apologize for my ignorance, and for any unintended rudeness in my questions. I love literature, and have always wondered about the quality and nature of the experience of someone who could see but never hear a word(s).

Not to hijack this thread, or to reiterate anything that has already been said, but I have a secondary, 3-part question related to this subject:

For those born deaf,
A) When reading say prose or poetry do you mentally vocalize at all?
B) Can you discern metrical nuances such as the ba-dum ba-dum of iambic pentameter etc?
C) Do written words "sound" like anything?

I apologize for my ignorance, and for any unintended rudeness in my questions. I love literature, and have always wondered about the quality and nature of the experience of someone who could see but never hear a word(s).

No

I didn't hear sound so I donno if I got it in my brain except I think no.

I was looking into causes of tinnitus and why a certain medication helps a friend of mine with her tinnitus. There's evidence that when the auditory cortical area in the brain gets damaged, there is cortical reorganization similar to phantom pain. The same area of the brain that was formerly damaged is now again responsive to sound. When this re-organization happens, a bunch of neurone are now very sensitive to frequencies at the high and low ends of frequencies. So the sounds are actually not being created in your ears but you have the perception of hearing them, like amputees feel their limbs when they really aren't there. It's not "real" sound in that it wasn't heard and transmitted through the ears. It can take a very small amount of damage for this neuron reorganization to happen, which is why people who think they are totally hearing can have tinnitus. They can have a small amount of say, noise induced hearing loss, not enough for them to realize that they have any loss, and have tinnitus from that.

Oh, and the medication is an old school antidepressant that my friend takes for repetitive thoughts. It kind of tamps down the working of her brain so she can sleep and it seems to also tamp down the neuron action in that part of her brain.

Back