Dirty Restaurant Lemons?

M&Mmm

Reaction score
Lemons are standard in most restaurants. But as it turns out, those lemons are spiking your drink with some dirty germs that can cause staph infections to fecal bacteria.

Microbiologist Anne Loving, a professor at Passaic County Community College in New Jersey, has found some pretty dirty findings on restaurant lemons.

Anne and her team tested lemon wedges at 21 restaurants, every time a drink hit the table. They found that 69 percent, or two out of three lemon wedges they tested, had disease causing bacteria.

Restaurant workers should use tongs or gloves to place lemon wedges on drinks, but they often use their bare hands which is a health code violation.

These bacteria causing germs could be from dirty employee hands or nails. Also, the knife used to cut the lemons may also have been used to cut steak.

Dirty Restaurant Lemons - CBS47.com Jacksonville News Leader

TThat's gross! :-o when restaurant workers place a lemon wedge on your glass of water, tea, or soda, they are apparently spiking your drink with germs.Beware the lemon in your drink. It could make you sick!:eek3:

Yes Saw On tv News..... Yuck.. because i am always order Ice tea with lemon :squint:!!!!!

Ohhh...gross. Honestly...the entire restaurant experience is gross. As the waiter/ess carries your food to your table, s/he will likely pass through a talking crowd...by the time the food arrives at your table, it is masked with germs and DNA from everybody who talked, sneezed, etc. Same for ice...lots of the ice machines are germy. A young girl who did a little research for her science fair project; she tested ice from several fast food places and their toliet water. Guess which one was covered more in billions of dangerous bacteria? So if you're thirsty you might want to opt for toliet water...more safe. Just don't add lemon to the toliet water :).

DeafBaja. I have heard about that research before they tested the Ice Machine vs a public restroom.

Yeah I read about that and it's same thing that goes with the food when they put lemon wedge on it for Fish, lobster, or whatever dish you order some lemons comes with it.

Eh?!? No way!

I've just started drinking only water in restaurant. I liked having lemon with it because it masks the awful taste of water itself. (I know people said it's tasteless, but I can still taste "water") Probably due to where they get the water from.

That sucks because I liked to suck some lemon before I leave the restaurant for fun.

But if it's that bad then why aren't there many people that gotten sick from it?

Dunno what I should do? Ehhh...wish I haven't read this information...in this case, ignorance may have been bliss for me...

People be surprised if they knew what went on behind the scene at restaurants!

Also, most people/restaurants do not think to wash the outside of a fruit before cutting it (when you cut it you drag the bacteria on the outside into the fruit). ..So, if that alone can make you sick, consider the fact that they are also dropping the lemon slices in the drinks whole--- unwashed peel and all.

Back