Dear Phonak: Things I Would Like To See...

I can't figure out why Phonak seems to be the last streamer device that still relies upon things around your neck. That is the worst thing about all the previous alternatives, loop systems, body-worn receviers, all those things we have been steadily moving away from, and now the "round the neck" thing is back. Everyone else has them so you can put it in a top pocket, clip it on a jacket, but the iCom is a "round the neck" solution - eurch!

That and the fact you must buy two items if you want a streamer and a remote, others combine them in a single unit. The Simens Mini-Tek is my current model of perfection, Phonak just gives you too many things to charge, carry, and wrap around yourself.

I can't figure out why Phonak seems to be the last streamer device that still relies upon things around your neck. That is the worst thing about all the previous alternatives, loop systems, body-worn receviers, all those things we have been steadily moving away from, and now the "round the neck" thing is back. Everyone else has them so you can put it in a top pocket, clip it on a jacket, but the iCom is a "round the neck" solution - eurch!

That and the fact you must buy two items if you want a streamer and a remote, others combine them in a single unit. The Simens Mini-Tek is my current model of perfection, Phonak just gives you too many things to charge, carry, and wrap around yourself.

yeah that's the thing about Phonak I'm not crazy about.. at least with the FMs, you can get the shoe/boot for the HA, and the transmitter, and that's fine. But the iCom, I wasn't all too crazy for as it went around the neck, and I find that I prefer the "neckloop" to be right next/behind my HA for best sounds/volume, not around the neck. I love the NoizFree Musiclink, goes behind my hearing aid on my ear, switch HA to T-coil and perfection. I still have an old neckloop that I use at the computer, and I always put it up to my ear instead of around my neck. I should just get another NoisFree MusicLink to use for on the computer only.

Why would you need to wear a hearing aid while swimming?

To chat with your friends! If you and/or your friends are non-signers, if you want to be a swimming instructor, learn something swiming related like learn to surf, waterski, things where being able to hear instructions would be an advantage.

I'd particularly love to be able to hear the alarm go off at our local pool which signals they are about to put on waves. I can't control my direction and all with waves on because I can't walk, and I can't tell they are about to start and keep finding myself washed upside-down on someone's lap.

To chat with your friends! If you and/or your friends are non-signers, if you want to be a swimming instructor, learn something swiming related like learn to surf, waterski, things where being able to hear instructions would be an advantage.

I'd particularly love to be able to hear the alarm go off at our local pool which signals they are about to put on waves. I can't control my direction and all with waves on because I can't walk, and I can't tell they are about to start and keep finding myself washed upside-down on someone's lap.

No one can hear voices underwater, so that's a moot point. If they don't sign then teach them. All my hearing friends can sign. I never needed a hearing aid or my voice to communicate with them.

I know of several friends that uses the ICOM system from Phonak, It seems that the Phonak ICOM uses a digital stereo neckloop that is more resistance against interference than my old analog neckloop. However the ICOM will not work with my older Phonak hearing aid or with my CI as far I can tell.

If I can make a video and compress it down somehow and send it down the cables to my mum on a cruise ship thousands of miles away and she can watch that video, all for the price-point of consumer electronics, you are seriously saying we couldn't make a soudn travel a distance of about half an inch? Why not?

This really happened. A couple of years ago, i had the cochlear implant processor off (100 percent deaf). But somehow, my internal implant heard the telephone's ring with no CI processor on! I went looking for the phone, and it was ringing. I cannot explain how this happened.

And for the record, the phone's rings sounded like a siren next to my ear (with no CI processor on at all).

But anyway, this already happened. So the ci companies probably could put the CI processor inside a cell phone and send radio frequency signals wirelessly at a distance to my head (internal implant) a lot like a satelitte.

This is as good as a totally implantable ci, i think?

Back