Deaf Wanna-Be's

'Merican!

Oh I am thank you. :D

I don't know, that's a pretty limited list of values, behaviors and traditions to distinguish themselves from the hearing. It's basically all about being deaf, and rights of the deaf. I am still unconvinced. Not that it matters what I think, I'm just one person in billions.

Why do the deaf think taking turns in a conversation is a deaf social norm?? They don't think hearing people do that?

Personally, I think of myself as an American-Italian not an Italian American. I think the country of origin should be first, but that's just my opinion.

Ambrosia, the definition of any culture is what brings them together because that is what they share. Italian culture shares an affinity for Italy; Drug culture shares affinity for drugs; Grunge Metal culture shares an affinity for that type of music this binds the people of those cultures. Yes, other cultures do the same things, but not for the same affinity and that is the difference. Young people are part of youth culture and, like it or not, we cannot be a part of it anymore, but we have experienced it.

How come they call it italoamericani in Italian?
What's interesting is that they have a full wikipedia page dedicated to it.. Italoamericani - Wikipedia

Edit: I found the English version here: Italian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia can be pretty unreliable sometimes. It is somewhat narrow one-minded sometimes. No perspectives from all sides.

Examples:

omission of religious backgrounds in order to conceal themselves. This is especially true because there was one guy that I looked thru. Days later, his Jewish background was deleted. There are many other examples that don't include such explicit backgrounds, even among those who deem 'devout Catholics'.

what causes WWII? Too vague to conclude, unless you read some actual researched books. For example, Poland wasn't really victim of Nazi-Soviet war- in fact, after WWI, Polish government was still in warfare state and capturing parts of lands of Ukraine, Belarus, and other Eastern European lands, as well as war against Russia during the interwar period. In fact, Hitler praised this by giving them an "apple tree" to be planted as gesture of peace- it still hasn't been removed to this day. He thanked them for defending Europe from Soviet aggression. This is reason why Stalin held back in 1922-1923. In addition, like as Gleiwitz "false flag" incident as allies propaganda suggested, seem to be very contradictory as to what really led Germany to declare war on Poland.

There are too many stuff to list here, but just saying. I think I'm too drunk to list here. I think wikipedia is OK for 'common background knowledge', but it's not detailed at all. Sorry if I read too much books, lol. But I often criticize the motivations behind wikipedia information insertions, they can be sometimes contradictory. I mean, do scholars or graduates actually insert their information in there? I don't quite think so.

Personally, I think of myself as an American-Italian not an Italian American. I think the country of origin should be first, but that's just my opinion.

Ambrosia, the definition of any culture is what brings them together because that is what they share. Italian culture shares an affinity for Italy; Drug culture shares affinity for drugs; Grunge Metal culture shares an affinity for that type of music this binds those cultures. Yes, other cultures do the same things, but not for the same affinity and that is the difference. Young people are part of youth culture and, like it or not, we cannot be a part of it anymore, but we have experienced it.

lol my ex used to love this genre of band. I thought it was great also, very intense in noises and sounds

Wikipedia can be pretty unreliable sometimes. It is somewhat narrow one-minded sometimes. No perspectives from all sides.

...I often criticize the motivations behind wikipedia information insertions, they can be sometimes contradictory. I mean, do scholars or graduates actually insert their information in there? I don't quite think so.

I think it's pretty decent for a term or concept lookup reference. Like to see if that concept or reference actually exists.
If it isn't there, then there's probably a good chance it's not a popular thing to look up.

I'm sure with your WWII interests, probably most of the terms you're interested in are there despite the accuracy of them. Clarification should be sought by journals, which no one has time to read or post on forums.

Seems we lose our bodies at a very specific point of time in our lives. Our death.

A theological/philosophical discussion what "that means".

Means we all share the same culture; it's inevitable, it's eventual, and nobody on earth will ever create a culture that's apart from it.

ambrosia said:
Why do the deaf think taking turns in a conversation is a deaf social norm?? They don't think hearing people do that?

Hearing interupt each other constantly, and do talk many at once in casual settings. That's all I remember of family conversation growing up - interupting and noise. My hearing friends often do the same. Maybe the people I know are strange?

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Wow, interesting. As much as I mused at times about how it would be easy for a hearie to hang out with Deaf people and not have them ever find out that this person is hearing, I didn't think people would go as far as faking it.

The reason that particular deaf wannabe is like that seems to be related to her autistic spectrum condition and the associated oversensitivity to sound, which could be a reason for her saying that the earplugs she's using aren't enough. I wonder if there could be other reasons those people are wannabes, including creepy ones.:Ohno:
This is sort of like me, and I do use earplugs a lot, but I can still hear things through the earplugs. I prefer to use earplugs when I sign because then I could just focus on the visual stuff and ignore sounds better. I have a friend who's also hypersensitive to sound and tries to block out all noise because things like cars screeching are too disturbing and overwhelming for her. However, I've never told anyone that I'm deaf. That's just absurd... I can hear and pretending that I can't would just likely make me look very, very stupid and potentially get me into an awkward situation. I do really want to be able to participate in Deaf culture freely, though, and be accepted at least by some Deaf people. I was actually shocked to find out how similar the Deaf cultural ways of communicating are to my own.

I don't understand whats going on, I see what you all are talking about but we're just talking about those who want to be deaf and are not correct? not those who are actually deaf and are just late in life

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

I want to make it clear that I'm not critique it. I well understand how different between cultures and subcultures. I really think it would make more sense if it is called "Deaf Subculture" instead of "Deaf Culture". Because the subculture do not have costumes, an official religion, and some another things... Only some certian deaf-related values that subculture has.

Here: Welcome to Culture & Community

This is an interesting post.

I don't think deaf wannabes have a mental illness, i think they aren't good in their shoes. They wish they were different somehow, and the deaf community is one of the nicest ones out there, so i don't find it THAT hard to understand why someone might think they want to be deaf.
Experimentation, a sense of adventure, can also be what drives someone to be a deaf wannabe.
It annoys me in the sense that i wish i had my good hearing back, and to me good hearing people are gifted in a way, and they don't acknowledge it.

I have nothing against a hearing person interacting with us, but as long as they realize that they are the lucky ones in a way.

How do you define a "wanna be"?
Are you willing to draw a line based on ASL knowledge or Deaf culture?
Do you want to define people by their audiograms?

I know that you wouldn't want any of the above "tests" of deafness.
The people who have perfect hearing and "want to be" deaf and pretend to be deaf definitely have problems but
I can see things like this devolving into "deafer than thou" and possibly making someone who needs a community to feel unwelcome.
This post just kind of made my day, a little. I was thinking something along the same lines.

Is that how you define a culture? I thought a definition of a culture would include those components of; The body of learned beliefs, tradition, principles and guides for behavior that are commonly shared among members of a particular group. Culture serves as a road map for both perceiving and interacting with the world.

So, therefore, Yes, Deaf Culture does exists.
OK, now we're diverting from sociology and heading straight for anthropology. The disconnect, here, is that there are several different meanings to the word "culture" and that many people don't consider all or more than one to be true. Yes, in some definitions of "culture," the idea of "Deaf Culture" does not fit the definition. As assessed in this post, however, "Deaf Culture" as both ideology and term fits perfect within the working definition. So, yes, by all means, Deaf Culture exists. That said, as with any culture, certain subsects believe in different boundaries for the culture itself. Now poses the question: in order for a culture to exist, could it not be said that having a culture in the first place subjectively depends on there being outsiders (i.e. wannabes, hearies)? Sure, it's creepy to have wannabes,--I was going to add onto that further, but no, it's just creepy to have wannabes. ANYWAY, still a valid question to ask.

Has anyone heard of Cara Goodman? She faked being deaf, in addition to other things like cancer and AIDS, to get perks including private concerts.

Alaska-says-sun.tumblr.com has her scam from the beginning.

Nope, it's very simlair. Thing is, those deaf wannabes tend to REALLY be into the cultural bit of deafness. It's an extreme version of those teenybopper girls who come here and are all "OMG ASL so much fun and SO cool!"

SO are you saying that you have to be defined by what an audiogram tells you. I'm sorry but there is such a thing as being culturally Deaf, if that weren't true you wouldn't have codas. I'm Hard of Hearing personally but, this is just my input.

From readings here in Alldeaf.com-hearing people CAN be "members of Deaf community" if they use ASL and accept the "idea" that Deaf persons have/are "oppressed by hearing persons". It seems undetermined if they are "oppressed" as well.

Another circular discussion in Sociology-culture.

Italian...100% Italian....but you'd have to know them to get this...no Italian American says they're Italian American...we say "Italian" or "Sicilian." Although no self respecting Sicilian ever refers to him/herself as "Italian."

Laura

ive got some extraordnary Sicilian red wines....it's fantastic stuff...sorry its off-topic..

Back