Deaf Identity Survey for School

nyustudent

Reaction score
Hi Alldeaf Forum readers! I am a student taking Multicultural Counseling within the Applied Psych department at NYU. My peers and I are looking to study and become counselors/therapists. My group hopes to get first hand feedback from this forum to learn more about how diverse aspects of identity, particularly deaf identity, can influence an individual's experience in counseling. We also hope to gain insight into the considerations that must be taken into account when working with the d/Deaf/HOH community. I've included the survey link below, feel free to answer as long or as short as you'd like and skip any questions that you may not feel comfortable answering. We'd appreciate any feedback you can provide! Thank you in advance :)

Hi Alldeaf Forum readers! I am a student taking Multicultural Counseling within the Applied Psych department at NYU. My peers and I are looking to study and become counselors/therapists. My group hopes to get first hand feedback from this forum to learn more about how diverse aspects of identity, particularly deaf identity, can influence an individual's experience in counseling. We also hope to gain insight into the considerations that must be taken into account when working with the d/Deaf/HOH community. I've included the survey link below, feel free to answer as long or as short as you'd like and skip any questions that you may not feel comfortable answering. We'd appreciate any feedback you can provide! Thank you in advance :)

I’m Deaf.I can help you with all your Deaf Culture questions “OR” if your asking about something “ then” I can not. Please let me know.

One thing about Deaf Counseling that is particularly different than Hearing Counseling is certain information contained in resources given to those who are counselors or psychologists. More often than not you will be dealing with Deaf who have been preyed upon either in the School System or through someone in life. You will find that kind of information to be of value in teaching the victim what should have been taught to all. But sometimes is not for a variety of reasons.

Otherwise being a counsler is run of the mill. Riding herd on the kids to keep them on the range more or less. Its not for everyone. If you think being a parent to a bunch of children is stressful, minding a whole student body or a dorm section is even more so.

Back