Deaf Friendly bar has ASL Kiosks

The part that I saw <my computer crashed> looked great! :ty: for putting that up

I still rather live interpreter at restaurant because I want to enjoy my meal while interpreter stand right there and drooling. :lol:

Nice feature, hope this spread to banks, police stations, public coffee shops, etc. Also I noticed that hearing waitress is kind of having a hard time to hear the sound coming out from VRI. :dunno:

I agree with Authentic. If the hearing waitress does not know ASL taking orders from a Deaf Patron (customer). She was bending down to listen to the VRI trying to understand what the Deaf Patron wanted to order. It would be better for both hearing and d/Deaf waitress to do ASL to wait on both hearing and d/Deaf Patron. What is wrong with paper and pen if the hearing waitress does not know ASL?

Beside it is suppose to be a signed ASL restaurant. So something is missing over there. :hmm:

The Pizza Bar itself isn't a Deaf business- more of a 'deaf-friendly' business- a hearing business making communication access to deaf easier. Nothing wrong with pen/paper (or boogie board lol) but I guess both the deaf customers there and the Pizza Bar figured that with VRI it's a bit faster to do? :dunno: I did notice the waitstaff had to lean in but guessing it's because of the ambient noise level in the restaurant; I've seen waitstaff do that with groups of hearing people too.

Not a bad idea to have VRI in places like the Pizza Bar in areas where there's a large population of deaf folks.

The Pizza Bar itself isn't a Deaf business- more of a 'deaf-friendly' business- a hearing business making communication access to deaf easier. Nothing wrong with pen/paper (or boogie board lol) but I guess both the deaf customers there and the Pizza Bar figured that with VRI it's a bit faster to do? :dunno: I did notice the waitstaff had to lean in but guessing it's because of the ambient noise level in the restaurant; I've seen waitstaff do that with groups of hearing people too.

Not a bad idea to have VRI in places like the Pizza Bar in areas where there's a large population of deaf folks.

What about the menu along with pen and paper? A patron can point at the food in the menu but would like to either omit or prefer to add to the food by writing down on pen and paper. That would help much better than VRI, would it? :hmm:

What about the menu along with pen and paper? A patron can point at the food in the menu but would like to either omit or prefer to add to the food by writing down on pen and paper. That would help much better than VRI, would it? :hmm:
True.
I think it's just a matter of which communication mode the deaf person is most comfortable with- some might like the ability/ease to just sign over writing. I'd probably be more comfy to just write it or show it straight from the menu.

This is an awesome idea.

However, not sure about the servers lugging around something like that. Why not do tablets with VRI that are more compact and quicker?
And is that limited only to ASL? Why not be inclusive of other languages such as Spanish, French, etc?

Or hire servers that already know an acceptable level of ASL (screened by the interviewer who can judge their fluency 1:1)? Make hearing people more motivated to learn ASL in order to have a job.

This is an awesome idea.

However, not sure about the servers lugging around something like that. Why not do tablets with VRI that are more compact and quicker?
And is that limited only to ASL? Why not be inclusive of other languages such as Spanish, French, etc?

Or hire servers that already know an acceptable level of ASL (screened by the interviewer who can judge their fluency 1:1)? Make hearing people more motivated to learn ASL in order to have a job.
They are installed at every table.

New restaurant staffed with deaf waiters - YouTube

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Wow ok so my link didn't work, but I like the asl restaurant 'signs' better. They only use asl and the menu has the signs beside the words. Unfortunately being a waiter helping tons of hearing people that have never used a sign in their life (except the middle finger lol) would be like taking orders from children all day. But it sounds like a great place for the deaf community

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back