Deaf artist John Brewster Jr

Bottesini

Old Deaf Ranter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was just watching an Antiques Roadshow program on PBS and one of John Brewster Jr paintings was featured. He was an interesting person of the late 1700's and early 1800's.

He took a break from his painting career from 1817 to 1820 to become one of the first students at Connecticut Asylum in Hartford, now know as American School for the Deaf. He was born deaf, but learned his first sign language there as one of the oldest students at age 51.

Deaf artists were considered at that time to have an advantage due to their better visual observations.

BrewsterPrinceSon.jpg

That's awesome! I'm curious how did the seller come across his painting on this show?

That's awesome! I'm curious how did the seller come across his painting on this show?

Sorry to say I don't know. My interest was caught when I noticed it was a deaf artist from long ago, and I hadn't been paying very good attention.

Sorry to say I don't know. My interest was caught when I noticed it was a deaf artist from long ago, and I hadn't been paying very good attention.

Ah, drats lol. I was just wondering. Still, its a good find especially something that is from this artist.

Botti and Reba, both very interesting! :ty: for putting that up!

I wish I'd seen that segment on the Antiques Roadshow. I like that program.

Thank you for posting it here. I think i have not heard of him. Interesting.

Neither have I...and to note...in N.C., there is a deaf artist also. He is really awesome...guessing I can't say his name tho'...he's well-noted.

Some people are just that way...I'm guessing. He does sell his art downtown by theCape Fear River in NC....now he should now be in his 70's...(I went to school with him)....

I been trying to find the Antiques Road show on TV watch myself and was not able to find it. I really like this show.

Back