Curious: what do our deaf members do for a living?

Go to sleep... If you get caught, tell them you have a huge headache..:)

i wish i could do that but in the UNCOMFORTABLE chair, and in front of coworkers when i was in the cubicle. It is not exaclty privacy and comfortable at all. :aw: i liked your idea though. :giggle:

i wish i could do that but in the UNCOMFORTABLE chair, and in front of coworkers when i was in the cubicle. It is not exaclty privacy and comfortable at all. :aw: i liked your idea though. :giggle:

Yeah, it would be hard to sleep if there are people around you.

When I was working as a cleaner during the late evening, I used to work fast, then I'd go to sleep all because I had a lot of privacy and control; I was able to lock the lifts to prevent my supervisors from walking in..:)

Yeah, it would be hard to sleep if there are people around you.

When I was working as a cleaner during the late evening, I used to work fast, then I'd go to sleep all because I had a lot of privacy and control; I was able to lock the lifts to prevent my supervisors from walking in..:)

LOL you are so BAD. guess your supervisors stilll never knew about you. :cool2:

I used to have an office where I can sleep under my desk like George Constanza. It was good while it lasted.... till my boss hired additional counselors so I have to move out to join with graphic designer. If I needed to take a nap, I can simply go upstair to library/conference room/lounge room or my server room (only I have a key access to it) and take a nap there. so far - I haven't done that yet because I mostly work about 5 hrs (I always arrive late and leave early :laugh2:) :cool2:

I am not sure what you mean by that? like in a meeting.

you said you could not sit silently for more than 5 seconds. what do you do? shake your finger, twirl around chair, chew gum loudly?

you said you could not sit silently for more than 5 seconds. what do you do? shake your finger, twirl around chair, chew gum loudly?

LOL! ahh, i tend to cross my legs on the chair or one cross my leg on the chair or wiggle my feet or waves my legs. sometimes i lift my body up with my hands on the chair's handles with support of my arms something like that. twirl around chair is a very tempting as its fun as i know it isn't a good idea. lol
Look like, get my legs & butt busy in the chair. :giggle:

eh, compared to everyone else's job title...I'm a little embarrassed to share mine. I work at an animal clinic. Started there when I was 17 and have been there for 9 years. I started out as a vet tech assistant, but was some how over the years demoted to "janitor". Nor have I had a raise in about four years. Job training to progress has been denied time and time again and at this point and time with the economy the way it is, I'm not complaining. Sure, it sucks being the Deaf janitor, and the only Deaf person there but it pays the bills.

::gets all red faced and runs out the AD door::

Jack of all trades here. Mainly involved in sales and promotions. Needless to say communicating is vital. Despite my 35% speech recognition I do ok. Been self employed for 11 years but biz got slow so I am working for the man again. Get this, I provide tech support over the phone lol.

Hello, fellow AD members! There's something I've been curious about for a couple of years. What do deaf people do for a living? Or how would deaf people make money through a hobby or part time job?

Myself, for example... I work part time at Pizza Hut. Even though that's the majority of my income, I also have a small hobby which involves buying and selling on eBay.

That's me. I'm curious to know what other deaf members do, if you feel like sharing.

I am a professional student :D

I'm a registered nurse in a burn ICU. Sometimes all the beeping alarms get on my nerves, but overall I really enjoy my job.

<--Professional Bra Inspector...

Really actually I'm the Merchandise Support Auditor at a warehouse. My job is pretty much complicated:

1) Open at LEAST 5 cartons of an incoming shipment to check if UPC's, SKU's, colors and styles matches the Purchase Orders

2) If the order's pretty much small, I just scan them in and send 'em on to Shipping Dept. Large Orders? I let a 3-man team take over and do my dirty work :)

3) If a team finds something wrong with it....I'm the one who gets to do the paperwork and a nice flowery report to my boss who in turn kicks it up to the buyers. What the buyer wants to do with fucked-up orders aint my problem..The teams or me find em and I just report em.

4) If I got a lot of closed stores, I gotta transfer a lot of cartons intended for the closed stores over to the other stores.

5) I relay orders from my boss to the Receiving Manager and tell him what his teams can do about the orders I get from my boss.

6) I man the reject line and take care of the stray cartons.

7) I just have fun :)

Here attached is a pic of my at-work toys :)

UPDATE: It's been like almost 5 months since I posted about this job I held til last December. Unfortunately the company went out of business in Jan and I ended up collecting unemployment for a month until I got a job at the local Walmart.

The job, Inventory Control System Assoc, that I'm doing at Walmart is almost similiar except I also do help unload trucks, picking, delivering and binning merchandise. Same toys as Goody's (laser guns) but Walmart also tossed in a portable printer for bin labels.

I'm finding it a lot more interesting to work at the Walmart after having spent almost 13 years working at Goody's. Not bad at all considering the state of the economy so I consider it was luck that Walmart took me right in quick after I got laid off.

I don't think I have already answered to this question :shrug:

I am a desktop publishing assistant for an architect office, seeking for another job though...

Jamie

Back