Cued speech for adults?

Terrible argument, as Deafskeptic is obviously hyper-literate.
Why thank you.

I'm not sure I can say the same for many of my classmates from that program.

So far in my whole life I never seen anyone used Cued Speech to communicate and I only seen it once when lady show me how it works for 1 minute at event. My mum have seen 2/3 people use Cued Speech cos was planning use on me and fail BIG time mostly cos I can't understand it and mum got rubbish hand movement.

Cued speech isn't easy as it looks cos mum really struggled to learn it years ago and impossible for me understand.

Anyway, I hope you do much better.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

RoseRodent,
I can say that I'd looked into it briefly when I was considering taking a linguistics class - the idea being that I'd have an ASL 'terp who also cued. I talked to the University D/Hoh&DS dept, as well as about a dozen interpreters and they all said the same thing - that in 20+ years they'd never had a request for a Cuer (most late deafened or non signers request CART etc). They did say they'd train someone in Cuing if I was serious about it, so they weren't "anti Cuing", it just something that had never been requested (we're all primarily ASL first, then CASE/PSE here, with a tiny bit of SEEII)

When I asked more about it, I was told that it's primarily because it's a speechreading learning tool, used in oral only environments where sign language isn't permitted. (we're fortunate to have a large, great ASL Hoh/Deaf community & a city/province that makes sure ASL is supported and available).

I don't think you're going to find any research or documentation on LD, adult cuers because that group is so very small that even finding research subjects would be prohibitive.

That's not saying you can't learn to cue, and try to make your family, friends and co-workers follow suit.

On a resume, job interview, etc Signing is much more well known, respected, and understood and considered more "useful" than Cuing, not because Cuing is "bad", but because Signing involves a significantly larger group of people (possible employees,clients etc) than cuing, which makes Sign Languages generally speaking 'more useful' to learn (in 34years, I've only seen 2 people cuing to each other, whereas I've seen literally thousands of Signers).

If you want to learn to cue - and ask others to do the same, do it. If it works for you, great.

Honestly though I'd learn the Signed ABCs as well, and at least some basic signs because I truly believe that will be more useful for you, your friends and family.

Excellent post anji!!!!!! Cued Speech is VERY VERY obscure. It would be like using Moon type - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia instead of Braille.

deafdyke said:
Anij said:
RoseRodent,

I can say that I'd looked into it briefly when I was considering taking a linguistics class - the idea being that I'd have an ASL 'terp who also cued. I talked to the University D/Hoh&DS dept, as well as about a dozen interpreters and they all said the same thing - that in 20+ years they'd never had a request for a Cuer (most late deafened or non signers request CART etc). They did say they'd train someone in Cuing if I was serious about it, so they weren't "anti Cuing", it just something that had never been requested (we're all primarily ASL first, then CASE/PSE here, with a tiny bit of SEEII)

When I asked more about it, I was told that it's primarily because it's a speechreading learning tool, used in oral only environments where sign language isn't permitted. (we're fortunate to have a large, great ASL Hoh/Deaf community & a city/province that makes sure ASL is supported and available).

I don't think you're going to find any research or documentation on LD, adult cuers because that group is so very small that even finding research subjects would be prohibitive.

That's not saying you can't learn to cue, and try to make your family, friends and co-workers follow suit.

On a resume, job interview, etc Signing is much more well known, respected, and understood and considered more "useful" than Cuing, not because Cuing is "bad", but because Signing involves a significantly larger group of people (possible employees,clients etc) than cuing, which makes Sign Languages generally speaking 'more useful' to learn (in 34years, I've only seen 2 people cuing to each other, whereas I've seen literally thousands of Signers).

If you want to learn to cue - and ask others to do the same, do it. If it works for you, great.

Honestly though I'd learn the Signed ABCs as well, and at least some basic signs because I truly believe that will be more useful for you, your friends and family.

Excellent post anji!!!!!! Cued Speech is VERY VERY obscure. It would be like using Moon type - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia instead of Braille.

Deafdyke
While I'm glad you liked my post, you seem to have intentionally left off the most important sentence - the last one.

At the end of the day, RoseRodent needs to choose what will work best for her. While most of our experience shows that Signed Language is overall a more useful communication tool to learn, the reality is that if SHE thinks Cuing is the best option for her, and her friends, family and co-workers are willing to learn as well, then THAT is what she should do. At the end of the day, LD, Hoh/d/Deaf adults need to make the communication choices that are right for THEM, and WE as fellow Hoh/d/Deaf adults need to both respect and support them in those choices.

BTW, the use of Moon Type isn't as rare as you seem to think. Many people who've lost their vision as adults use this (at least initially) because it's easier to learn and is tactily easier to figure out. Moon helps the user learn to interpret tactile input as text, thus can be a critical stepping stone (and encouragement) towards learning grade 1 and then Grade 2 braille.

Last edited:
What is CART? Don't know what that is. In this context I'm not so much thinking of someone keeping a running commentary in cued speech, that level of fluency is hard to master or understand, but in terms of having something up your sleeve to help with difficult situations. I usually get people to finger spell words I really don't get, but it takes time, and if you are asking someone "what did he say?" in a group setting you lose the next part of the conversation. It needs to be faster. Sign depends on you knowing the word for each concept, if you don't know it you don't know it. How would I ask someone to clarify "carberretor" which is long, a spelling nightmare and hard to visually demonstrate.

BSL will never, never be for me. Why? Cos I know loads of languages and in not one of them am I prepared to say a single word as it makes me nervous. I learned some BSL but given the opportunity to use it I sat in a corner wishing I felt like I could say something and never did. That went on for about six months. I'm paralysed by fear of getting it wrong, and it's not down to how much the other person cares, they can be the nicest, friendliest person on earth, I'm still not prepared to make a mistake. Signing, like all other languages, just represents a hideous ordeal, something awful that has to be done to pass the exam and a sigh of relief that you need never do it in front of a real human again. I'd more than happily learn BSL in my bedroom, and there it would forever stay. If I could take a pill that taught me BSL in one night with no effort or expense I'd probably be no closer to being able to communicate. Not unless it came with a cast iron guarantee that I could never make a mistake anyway.

Amazingly in this age of internet, I did start with google to look for stuff, having not found anything I thought I'd try other sources who might know.

You're more afraid of BSL than speaking and lipreading?

You say you're not prepared to make a mistake. Sweetie, that's like saying you're not prepared to be human. The truth is, with that attitude, you are your own biggest barrier, not your hearing loss.

I've tried, but I've failed. I moved to another country for 2 years which was supposed to force me to use the languages I had learned, but it drove me to a level of distress that was not worth it. Communication is about being in a position to express your desires and feelings and debate and have a back and forth, and if you are stifled by your lack of ability to contribute anything it is just a frustrating experience. Worst of all, it makes me feel stupid, makes me look stupid. I don't have the skills to make a deep argument on a topic, so if I do finally say something it's more "I like your dress" than the merits of a particular political position. I don't want to spend years being shallow because I can't express anything deep.

You are perfectly capable of expressing anything you want. Anything at all.

If you get a chance, read this book "The Unheard: A Memoir of Deafness and Africa" by Josh Swiller who is profoundly deaf. He grew up oral and mainstreamed but while in some obscure town in the middle of Nowhere, Africa, he made the choice to stop wearing his hearing aids and discovered a new way to communicate and bond with others on a very profound level.

Might give you some food for thought.

How do you express a complex argument using only vocabulary from stage 1 BSL, colours, directions, asking people their names? If you are stifled by lack of language skills you can't express anything you have not yet learned to express.

So, are you telling me you cannot speak, lipread nor use sign language? That you cannot use pen and paper, emails, texting? That you cannot draw a picture?

That you have no language at all? No way to express yourself whatsoever?

This is in the context of "Reasons I don't want to learn BSL" though. This is not "I cannot communicate with anyone ever by any means" this is "The reason I don't want to learn BSL is because I personally couldn't use it as an effective communication tool anyway"

This is in the context of "Reasons I don't want to learn BSL" though. This is not "I cannot communicate with anyone ever by any means" this is "The reason I don't want to learn BSL is because I personally couldn't use it as an effective communication tool anyway"

So, what's your alternative?

RoseRodent said:
So, what's your alternative?

Astonishingly, given the title of the discussion, I am investigating Cued Speech.

My concern here is that you've said that you're so fearful of making mistakes, that you're basically paralyzed by it. How will Cuing be different for you? While you're learning, and even once you're fluent you're going to make mistakes, people will get confused and need clarification etc just the same as using any Language or modal tool. We all make mistakes, it's part of being human. The thing is we need to make mistakes in order to learn - and making mistakes isn't "failing", it's learning.

More than anything else, it really sounds like you need to get some help to overcome this fear of being human and making mistakes.

If you're going to learn to cue from someone, then you'll be making mistakes in front of them, which is the idea, so they can correct you.

If you think Cuing is what you need, then really who cares about "research" or any thing else. You asked what we thought based on our experience and got our answers, but at the end of the day just because all of us think it's not really a great choice doesn't matter at all - it's your life and you have to live it.

If your friends, family and co-workers are willing to learn to cue, and use it frequently (to remember how, you'll all have to be cuing conversations daily) then go for it. Again, I'd recommend they learn the BSL or ASL ABCs as well, because it's going to be something you use too.

Just do what you need to do.

Last edited:
Astonishingly, given the title of the discussion, I am investigating Cued Speech.

People here were trying to help you. Your sarcasm wasn't needed.

Editing all your posts on the previous page was kind of pointless when the original posts were quoted by those trying to help you.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you are trying to do.

I'm a late in life HoH. I am learning sign. And in doing so I'm also finding a bunch of wonderful new people who I am now lucky enough to call friends. Will all your friends learn? Probably not. But those who want to keep you in their lives will at least make the effort to learn a few basic signs and fingerspelling, if that's the direction you want to take.

And, BTW, I don't see how removing your posts helps anyone.

Back