Crickets

LadySekhmet

Reaction score
the Post - CI Moments is not up...

Regardless...

I heard crickets for the first time on Friday. It only took 4 months...LOL! (well, where we live it's very difficult to hear crickets..so I had to hang out at Mom's), and it's been cold until now.

It sounded so soothing. :)

That's my CI moment

Whay hey! Congrats.... Can't wait for my Moment!!! I have crickets in my garden and birds.

What a great CI moment! I can still remember the first time I heard crickets -- it happens to be one of my favorite sounds.

What a great CI moment! I can still remember the first time I heard crickets -- it happens to be one of my favorite sounds.

Mine too. I did hear them with hearing aids, but have always loved that sound along with the sound of waves on the ocean.

I know the feeling. It has a creepy and soothing feeling to it... depending on where you are and when it is.

When I was a little kid, I could hear crickets outside... loudly. It was in a neighborhood where crickets were widespread.

Where I am now, there aren't many crickets. There's also so much background noise that I can't really hear the crickets. :(

Glad you noticed something you enjoy. :)

I can't really pick out crickets or stuff like that, but I do hear a general 'noise' when I go outside, which is different from 'inside noise'. And I'm sure it involves crickets and probably some other bugs... I usually tune it out, but some times it is 'eerie quiet' when I come back into the house.

Actually I don't hear crickets either, and I am not sure why you are happy about it. I don't even like to see them. (Maybe I shouldn't reply here since I am not CI user)

Actually I don't hear crickets either, and I am not sure why you are happy about it. I don't even like to see them. (Maybe I shouldn't reply here since I am not CI user)

I'm sure there's no problem with you posting here.. :)

I don't know why its 'good' either, in sense of experience, but I've known of a lot of people who enjoy hearing crickets. Apparently it is a 'soothing' or even 'musical' sound.

Also, just to add my own thing... I do enjoy hearing a fan blowing. It's not so much that the sound itself pleases me, I used to think it was quite annoying in fact, but now for some reason it is soothing and makes me feel secure... I'm not really sure why, but I don't like the feeling I get when one is suddenly turned off after running for a long time. It's weird because simply turning off or disconnecting my CI doesn't cause that, it also doesn't happen if I turn the fan off myself, usually.

You're lucky you weren't here during the summer of 1996! That was a nightmare!

Where I am now... there was a HUGE outbreak in crickets. I mean... every place was swarming with crickets.

I went to a local Blockbuster Video. When I was inside, I could see a huge brownish-black blob-like thing against the window. It was thousands of crickets squirming all over each other.

I was on my way into a building at a community college campus. Outside, they had a guy who was running a leaf vacuum (it sucks and grinds leaves)... and a guy who was running a leaf blower (blows leaves). EXCEPT... they were using it on crickets. The walls outside were covered (almost every inch) with crickets. I stood there for a few minutes to watch. They managed to clean up a lot of it.

After class (2 hours later), I walked outside... the walls and sidewalks were covered with crickets. I guess they multiply faster than they die. Yikes!

That is awful! I send my husband around the foundation and the basement every spring and fall to spray for bugs. I dread them. Now I will shut up and quit derailing the happy CI thread.

You're lucky you weren't here during the summer of 1996! That was a nightmare!

Where I am now... there was a HUGE outbreak in crickets. I mean... every place was swarming with crickets.

I went to a local Blockbuster Video. When I was inside, I could see a huge brownish-black blob-like thing against the window. It was thousands of crickets squirming all over each other.

I was on my way into a building at a community college campus. Outside, they had a guy who was running a leaf vacuum (it sucks and grinds leaves)... and a guy who was running a leaf blower (blows leaves). EXCEPT... they were using it on crickets. The walls outside were covered (almost every inch) with crickets. I stood there for a few minutes to watch. They managed to clean up a lot of it.

After class (2 hours later), I walked outside... the walls and sidewalks were covered with crickets. I guess they multiply faster than they die. Yikes!

Haha, thats like fish flies in some places near lakes here... some years they literally cover EVERYTHING, there are so many... I haven't heard it myself, but have been told people can literally hear them 'squish' under the tires, when driving over them... which you have no choice to do, because the streets can be 'wall to wall' in fish flies.

Here is a fish fly, otherwise known as mayfly... they are totally harmless, don't even eat as adults, and die in a matter of days once they leave the water to mate.

However, this is what can happen under the right conditions... while they can't actually hurt anything (they are delicate, don't bite, or anything) they can leave a mess, especially when squished or sucked into intakes, or other such things.

mayflies1gn7.jpg

Anyway, sorry for off topic.. carry on. :D

Oh cool lucky you....
I wish I can hear those right now, but can't wear my CI :( *sigh*

hehe, one of those blessings that turns into a curse after awhile in a way, if they're prevalent where you live! :)

Oh cool lucky you....
I wish I can hear those right now, but can't wear my CI :( *sigh*
Be careful what you wish for.

There are some sounds that creep people out. The sounds of insects squirming around may not sound so pleasant. ;)

the Post - CI Moments is not up...

It's up allright, just not at the top any more.
Go here, and enter your moment there as well.

It should be part of your "subscriptions" if you have entered something before.
(Goto "Links" and select "Subscriptions" or use the shortcut here.)

Thanks Cloggy!

To everyone else who thinks bugs are eww...

Well, it's the Circle of Life. We need those bugs. I do not find crickets gross. I find cockroaches gross.

To me, I found crickets to be very soothing. It's fine that other people find it annoying, but I don't.

Soon I will be living in Vegas, so there's not that much crickets there as it is in NJ...So I'm enjoying it as much as I can.

Yeah I heard crickets.

The first time I've heard it chirping was in the basment after 8 or 9 months of CI implant. I can hear it clear and sharp. I tried to look for it and I did located it at that spot but can't find it. I asked my son where it was. He pointed exactly where I was honing to.. We both looked behind the file cabinet and I pulled the trash hidden behind it. There it is!! I found it and killed it.

Few months later, I was in the basment in the middle of night working on computer. I kept hearing chirping and I tracked and found one of the hole on cement (it's a "bubble" hole on cement wall). I poked with long screwdriver. It stopped chirping and resumed. So I use bug spray and sprayed it. Heard it chirp chiiirrpp chip chip ......(silent). And few week later. Again in basment, I heard chirping and it's not on the floor or on wall.. I point my CI ear to ceiling which was a bit strange where loudest sound came from. I got up on a ladder and heard loud chirping. I tracked it and found it inside the outdoor socketbox which was sticking in from wood frame. I sprayed the bug killer through the wire hole of socketbox and it went silent. LOL. I hate crickets in my house or garage but I don't mind on my lawn or anywhere outside of my house which are soothing.

My kids thanked me for silence crickets in basment cuz they can hear it on 2nd floor from basment and it's so annoying that they couldnt sleep :LOL:. I couldn't hear it on 2nd floor tho.

Catty

Back