Ci president now

DDU

Reaction score
looks like NTID is getting it's first ever CI President !!! Dr. Gerry Buckley will become the first Ci president for a major deaf college. this is very fitting since NTID is a technical college and Dr. Buckley's implant is a technical wonder. a happy day for CI and HOH people of the world but a sad day for the TRUE DEAF.

looks like NTID is getting it's first ever CI President !!! Dr. Gerry Buckley will become the first Ci president for a major deaf college. this is very fitting since NTID is a technical college and Dr. Buckley's implant is a technical wonder. a happy day for CI and HOH people of the world but a sad day for the TRUE DEAF.
Why is it a sad day? I don't understand why some people feel threatened by a CI. :dunno: d/Deaf culture will be around forever.

Let's hear it for divisivness!
21e8col.gif

images

it just that certain deaf group don't like CI that they see them as kill their future on deaf culture.

I've always felt NTID gear more toward HOH and oral-only deaf anyway (and now CI deaf) , Let them have their own college. And let the deaf/ASL culture have Gally.

Iam happy for the man and I wish him best of luck.

However, to measure one's hearing ability is getting SO OLD! Why should we look at whether he has a CI or not? Unless u think a CI is one of the crieteria to meet to become president of an university?

Wirelessly posted

Huh? Isn't NTID more of a tech school, and Galladuet a liberal arts college? And both institutes accept deafness of all sort? Especially since Rochester supposedly have the highest percentile of Deaf (with big D) in the country? Statements like "I've always felt ____ gear more toward" would only further divide and alienate people even more.

All I know that Gally will ask you to take ASL classes. I am not sure NTID does that. I didn't mean make it seem like we should "forbid" all sorts of deaf people from applying or even take president positions. I'm just saying they should relax about who is deaf and who HOH. If deaf people scream "deaf president now" (as in ASL deaf people, and not someone who is oral only and don't know how to sign) to NTID, then HOH would not have a chance to be presidents.

Afterall, growing up as an oral only deaf, I feel oppressed by hearing. Because I can't speak, read, write, act, think etc. well enough for either world. But I know that deaf/mute feel the same way.

Last edited:
i do so love to poke HOH and CI. their reactions are so defensive. this is probably before a lot of ADers were born but i remember way back when it was DEAF PREZ NOW at Galley and the students went nuts for a deaf prez, even though the women first elected was HOH or something if remember right. back then the cool deaf culture thing was you were DEAF or not, HOH and CI were wannabe's.
i am just surprised this new prez thing wasn't mentioned here on AD before this. i wonder if Galley could get away with a CI prez now?

i do so love to poke HOH and CI. their reactions are so defensive. this is probably before a lot of ADers were born but i remember way back when it was DEAF PREZ NOW at Galley and the students went nuts for a deaf prez, even though the women first elected was HOH or something if remember right. back then the cool deaf culture thing was you were DEAF or not, HOH and CI were wannabe's.
i am just surprised this new prez thing wasn't mentioned here on AD before this. i wonder if Galley could get away with a CI prez now?

I don't think, "the woman first elected was HoH......" is true. But true for the Gally second student/alumni uprising.

You need to double and triple check facts about DPN cuz I was there.

Show me someone who is born deaf or deaf before preschool (I'm not talking about late-deafened because they already have a language), mute, only language is ASL who is a college president without deaf people protesting "DPN" and I'll shut up.

And show me a oral only deaf who is a president for a hearing college while you are at it.

On the OTHER hand, I think that's awesome, and shows how far we've come in just twenty years, that someone with a CI can become president of a big Deaf College.
There's no major protesting, and nobody is really blinking.
deafgal, there are hoh and orally skilled deafies at Gally. Yes, they require ASL, but it's the LANGAUGE they use! They use ASL on campus. The percentage of ASL only deafies is actually pretty small you know, even in the Deaf World!

In the Deaf community that I am involved with, whether a person has a CI or not is not a big deal these days. I think it is great so when I see people making a big deal out of CIs, I get bored.

In the Deaf community that I am involved with, whether a person has a CI or not is not a big deal these days. I think it is great so when I see people making a big deal out of CIs, I get bored. I mean from both sides..someone calling it a miracle or someone calling it a betrayal to the Deaf community. It does get old after a while.

On the OTHER hand, I think that's awesome, and shows how far we've come in just twenty years, that someone with a CI can become president of a big Deaf College.
There's no major protesting, and nobody is really blinking.
deafgal, there are hoh and orally skilled deafies at Gally. Yes, they require ASL, but it's the LANGAUGE they use! They use ASL on campus. The percentage of ASL only deafies is actually pretty small you know, even in the Deaf World!

Does it really matter how small deaf people with no speech/listening skills is? If they want to have a chance to be president, then so be it. I know there are HOH and orally skilled deafies in Gally.

In the Deaf community that I am involved with, whether a person has a CI or not is not a big deal these days. I think it is great so when I see people making a big deal out of CIs, I get bored. I mean from both sides..someone calling it a miracle or someone calling it a betrayal to the Deaf community. It does get old after a while.
:h5: :gpost:

it just that certain deaf group don't like CI that they see them as kill their future on deaf culture.
Yeah just like when HA's came out and look what happened (or what didn't happen) to the d/Deaf culture.

Back