Busted! Octomom Charged With Welfare Fraud

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Nadya Suleman has yet again found herself in trouble, and this time, the charges are more serious than ever.

The tabloid-friendly breeder better known as Octomom was charged Monday with welfare fraud by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office. The charges came as a result of an investigation by the Department of Public Social Services that claims she allegedly failed to report nearly $30,000 in earnings between January and June of 2013.

The complaint, which uses Suleman's given name of Natalie Denise Suleman, says the 38-year-old filed for public assistance in Lancaster, California, in January 2013, but didn't disclose that she was also getting checks for personal appearances and residuals from videos.

Suleman allegedly earned more than $200,000 in 2012 largely from an adult video she made; she can only legally collect welfare if she earns less than $119,000 a year.

If convicted, Suleman would face up to five years and eight months in custody. She's scheduled to surrender and be arraigned on Friday at the Foltz Criminal Justice Center in downtown L.A. She was charged Jan. 6 with one count of aid by misrepresentation and two counts of perjury by false application for aid. Deputy District Attorney William Clark, who's prosecuting the case, will ask that bail be set at $25,000.

It's unclear what would happen to the custody of Octomom's 14 children should she be incarcerated. The D.A.'s office would not discuss that hypothetical situation.

Suleman became a tabloid fixture when she gave birth to octuplets in January 2009. She already had six other children, all of whom were conceived via in vitro fertilization.

Busted! Octomom Charged With Welfare Fraud

Wait a minute--"she can only legally collect welfare if she earns less than $119,000 a year" ?

Wait a minute--"she can only legally collect welfare if she earns less than $119,000 a year" ?

:lol: That one kind of jumped out at me too!

I must have years of back payments coming.

It seems it would be a great good fortune for the kids if she was convicted and they got into a better living situation.

It's probably because she has 14 freaking kids. That many dependents would push the maximum income for benefits up, waaaay up.

WTF?!?!
If that's the case then the average American citizen should qualify for welfare.

Oh yeah, I'm not surprised by the welfare fraud charge. How did she afford the fertility clinics and IVF procedures when she was ALREADY receiving welfare assistance? Also, if she already had six children, why did any doctor OK her for IVF??

Natalie Suleman is the kind of person that raises more questions rather than manages to get questions answered.

I qualify for welfare but Ambrosia has a good point...$119,000 may not enough to support a family of 15 in California.

If you break it down. it is roughly $7,933.33 per person per year.

If you break it down. it is roughly $7,933.33 per person per year.

In California which has a high cost of living.

If you applied that to me and my 2 kids that'd be 23,800. Yeah I'd qualify fir welfare then too.

$100K doesn't get a family of 4 very far here in the DC area. I cant imagine if it is a family of 16!

You remember Duggar family? You could wonder how the parents could afford raising 20 children and they are not on welfare. :shock:

You remember Duggar family? You could wonder how the parents could afford raising 20 children and they are not on welfare. :shock:

I think they did well with money management and had real estate investments.

They got married first, then had their kids naturally, paying their way as they went along.

Yeah, I've always believed there is nothing wrong with having a "big family"...IF you can afford it....watched a TV show today, where this 21-yr. old guy had 5 kids...no job...didn't finish school, etc., etc. and of course, did not support 'em...made me very :mad:

Wirelessly posted

Wow...14 kids?! I'd stop after the first two or three.

Like, I have no problem with big families (if you can afford it) or people getting aid (if you really need it), but like....I hate hate HATE it when people lie and take advantage of the system. I especially dislike the fact that she had many children she couldn't afford INTENTIONALLY, and then lied about her income...

Nope. I don't keep up with idiotic people like this. Waste of my time I can spend working or whatever else.

Back