boy, moving sure is a lotta work!

cdmeggers

Reaction score
But it'll all be worth it once I get settled in at the new apartment. SMOKE FREE! and the pool is in front of my apartment, yay! The apartment I'm moving to is just a lot nicer, so I'm looking forward to living there. Just don't care for all the work involved with packing, cleaning, moving, unpacking and putting stuff away.... ugh. And of course, calling/contacting EVERYONE to update my address (bank, insurance, college, work, everything!), and switching my renter's insurance, and utility bills over to the new address as well. oy.

I just signed the lease today and got the keys, happy dance time!

Wait til u have a house and need to move to apt, that's even worse nightmare!

I've moved from a house to an apartment, but that was because I was moving out of my mom and stepdad's house.... but I have even more stuff in my apartment since moving out of mom's house, and how to have to haul it all over to the new apartment... haha. I'm gonna have to get a new flat screen TV so I don't have to haul over the giant old brick of a TV up the stairs...... ick.

Moving is a lot of work, been there and done that! We will be moving almost cross country next year.

why is that? I would think it d be more easier to do that? guess no ROOM for many stuffs?

Yes that is why . I had clients that had to move into senior housing and they where very upset about having to get rid of things that they had for years .

It can be very stressful. You look at all your stuff and you *know* you should be able to get rid of some of it - so many things just taking up space, etc. But then you look at each item *individually* and say "well of course I can't get rid of that..."

that's what I've been dealing with lately. I'm a bit of a packrat, and have saved stuff for YEARS because of memories associated with them.... or just for the heck of it. I've saved a bunch of greeting cards since I was a kid (but they just sit in storage, never to be looked at ever again) and that sort of thing. I've started throwing away those sort of things. Oh my gosh, I filled up 4 trash bags and an old plastic toy box full of trash (old papers and cards and junk) in just one day, from one room only. I still have more to sort through and get rid of. Clothing items or random items like that, I'll donate to Goodwill.

I recently had the challenge of helping an elderly lady downsize and move after the death of her husband. She was going from a 4-bedroom, 2.5-bath house with family room, large formal dining room and living room, 2-car garage home with large attic, down to a one-bedroom, one-bath apartment in another state. It took us quite a while to go thru her stuff, and many trips to the dump, Goodwill, and Habitat for Humanity. We sold some things outright (kitchen appliances), and a large amount was picked up by a consignment store, which has been selling those things. She also gave away a lot to family and friends. It was a major, full-time task.

Because of that experience, I've decided to start downsizing my stuff now. We have only one daughter, and she can't use all our stuff, so it will just have to go. I don't want her stuck with sorting thru all our things when we die.

We will probably be faced with clearing out my mother-in-law's things in the near future. Her health is not good. She's been hoarding for a while now, on top of never getting rid of any furnishings that she's had for decades. TCS and his sister have decided that, except for jewelry and photographs, they'll probably rent a dumpster and just get rid of everything. Then, they'll try to sell the house. The problem is, the house is in Lansing, MI, where no one is buying houses.

We really wish that she could get rid of some stuff now so that she could enjoy the space of her house more comfortably, and so that people could visit her. It's really sad that she wants to live that way. :(

One of the more fun things about moving is that I rented an open end U haul trailer and hooked it up to my blue 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I used it to move. It was a joy towing an trailer. I would have made more trips, but I wanted to see what it felt to tow a trailer. Make moving a game :).

That was back in 1999 when I was 22 years old. I was a lot younger back then. If you are young, make the moving a fun game :).

One of the more fun things about moving is that I rented an open end U haul trailer and hooked it up to my blue 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I used it to move. It was a joy towing an trailer. I would have made more trips, but I wanted to see what it felt to tow a trailer. Make moving a game :).

That was back in 1999 when I was 22 years old. I was a lot younger back then. If you are young, make the moving a fun game :).
Yes, I think age makes a difference. :)

My nephew (in the Air Force) and his wife and Lab are driving from Alaska to their new duty station in Virginia, towing a pop-up camper. They had the additional challenge of dodging bears and moose on the road. :lol:

Yes, I think age makes a difference. :)

My nephew (in the Air Force) and his wife and Lab are driving from Alaska to their new duty station in Virginia, towing a pop-up camper. They had the additional challenge of dodging bears and moose on the road. :lol:

I don't know if I would want the experience of dodging moose and bears. That is one fun moving trip!!!

My nephew (in the Air Force) and his wife and Lab are driving from Alaska to their new duty station in Virginia, towing a pop-up camper.

This put an image in my head of the three of them sharing the driving.

This put an image in my head of the three of them sharing the driving.
Their Lab has a human name and is smart, so who knows?

(I think she's too young, though.) :lol:

Their Lab has a human name and is smart, so who knows?

(I think she's too young, though.) :lol:

I wrote Finlay's name on his collar and we where walking down town one day and a guy asked me if Finlay was my last because that was HIS last name.
I told guy "No, it's my dog's name" and you should had seen the look on his face. He was not too happy . LOL! And I think some dogs are smarter than her owners.

It can be very stressful. You look at all your stuff and you *know* you should be able to get rid of some of it - so many things just taking up space, etc. But then you look at each item *individually* and say "well of course I can't get rid of that..."

My mom had to move out her house she lived in for over 50 years and she had a dining room set that her parents brought her for a wedding gift and no one wanted and we could not give it away. My poor mom was heart broken so I took the whole set and it been in the basement for years. It was too big for my condo , I only too it so my mom would won't be so heartbroken.
And I tried to give away and no one want it. Not even the Boys and Girls Club wanted it. At least my mom was happy .

Back