Blog Post Sparks Internet-Wide Discussion On Nudity In Parenting

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Who knew nudity in parenting was such a controversial topic?

A few months ago, blogger Rita Templeton wrote a massively-shared blog post titled “Why I Want My Sons To See Me Naked.” To summarize, Templeton said she frequently exposes her young sons to her naked body in order to fight the unrealistic body images they will soon see in the media.

“Before they are exposed to boobs that are as round and firm as cantaloupes and pictures of taut, airbrushed, dimple-less butts, I’m exposing them to a different kind of female body. Mine,” she wrote.

Templeton’s approach sparked a huge discussion on the issue. Many agree with her, many firmly disagree, and still others find themselves somewhere in between.

CNN’s Kelly Wallace penned a column of her own this week in which she discusses her opinion on the topic and asks others for their's as well. No two answers are the same, which is about what you’d expect for a topic with as much grey area as this one.

Her personal approach?

“A lifetime of body image issues means I’m not one to walk around naked at home,” she writes. “But I don’t cover up around my daughters, 7 and 8, when I’m getting dressed or in the bathroom, either. I don’t want them to think there is anything wrong with my body or theirs.”

Rhonda Woods, a mother of three, says the approach used by her and her husband evolves as their children age.

“As they get older, my husband is more discreet around our daughters and I am more discreet around our son," she says. "Not because we are uncomfortable, but because they may be. So when it is time for me to undress, I tell whichever of my kids is in my room talking to me, that I plan to do so and they have the option to leave.”

Norman Nathamn, founder of the blog “The Mamafesto” also shared her approach with Wallace.

“Nudity, when it’s within your home and 100% nonsexualized, isn’t going to traumatize a child, especially if you’re all on the same page, are all consenting and are all comfortable with it,” she says.

Nancy Friedman, a mother of two, says her children inexplicitly dictate the policy in her home.

“I think your kids let you know when it’s time to stop being naked in front of them — usually about the time they decide they don’t want to be naked in front of you,” she reasons.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/blog-post-sparks-internet-wide-discussion-nudity-parenting

rockin'robin: I read about this recently. Thanks for posting this. I'm wondering if our own belief has to do with one's year of birth (or upbringing).

I was born in the '50s and it wasn't uncommon to see my parents in the nude. They weren't doing anything other than preparing for work. While I dislike using this phrase, it desensitized me to a degree. There was nothing sexual about it and it didn't hurt me at all - not to say this is the norm (I don't know what norm is).

My roommate goes in the nude around her kids but not around the rest of us. I don't go around in the nude because I am more comfortable with clothes on. Feels too cold and weird. lol

I was born in 1951, and I never saw my parents naked. They got dressed in their room, and I got dressed in mine.

My roommate goes in the nude around her kids but not around the rest of us. I don't go around in the nude because I am more comfortable with clothes on. Feels too cold and weird. lol

same here when I was younger. it's typical in Asian culture. no big deal.

it's pretty common in Asia that friends go to spa together.... yes nude lol. I did that with my friends couple months ago. same thing for Europeans and Russians. American... lol why so private?!?!? :lol:

same here when I was younger. it's typical in Asian culture. no big deal.

it's pretty common in Asia that friends go to spa together.... yes nude lol. I did that with my friends couple months ago. same thing for Europeans and Russians. American... lol why so private?!?!? :lol:

I think it started with the Pilgrims...very Puritan religious beliefs and just became the culture here.

I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm not a fan when people tell parents what to do with their children in public. Hey, I'm biased 'cause my parents are from other countries. We don't care.

My Swede friend told me about his friend from West Africa. He and his friend went to the states to stay here for two years. West African was dealing with the American culture shock. He wondered why Americans find women' breasts so fascinating. He still can't figure it out to this day. Ha!

I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm not a fan when people tell parents what to do with their children in public. Hey, I'm biased 'cause my parents are from other countries. We don't care.

My Swede friend told me about his friend from West Africa. He and his friend went to the states to stay here for two years. West African was dealing with the American culture shock. He wondered why Americans find women' breasts so fascinating. He still can't figure it out to this day. Ha!

lol! Middle Eastern men too. they go crazy over even Victoria's Secret magazine.

I don't understand the purpose of going naked around home.

It's not about getting attention. I think it has to do something with the small home. In European countries, there are many small homes and they all have to share same rooms and bathrooms for many years. So, it's crowded and no private at all. It's just spontaneous.

No "purpose". Some people are comfortable naked - or uncomfortable wearing clothes 24/7.
I don't walk around the house naked, but it doesn't bother me if I know others do it.

in my case - bathroom. bedroom.

but I also don't understand the purpose of walking naked around home either. I mean like... walking around nude casually for some period of time. my gf told me she does that and sometimes her dad sees her nude and he yelled at her to put on some clothes or at least wrap a towel around her.

I walk in nude in my apt with curtains closed sometimes when I feel so hot. Mostly, I am being nude in bathroom or bedroom. Shrugs. I have to wear clothes when I am around with people.

I go nude in the shower stall...that's it.

I walk in nude in my apt with curtains closed sometimes when I feel so hot. Mostly, I am being nude in bathroom or bedroom. Shrugs. I have to wear clothes when I am around with people.

I know.

I have an open mind about nudity, always have. I was not raised that way though.

Ive lived in Europe & I agree with European culture regarding nudity. I have raised my son accordingly. He's always been able to make his own decisions to be nude or not. I do not force nudity on anyone, though I personally prefer to be nude unless it's winter then it's just too cold! :giggle:

Back