Been thinking about ditching my SVRS (Sorenson)

Exactly, I have worked hard to explain Dead Deaf VRS users that they can't just depend on technical support agent, or Customer care agents, or whatever to convey their complaint to FCC. Its called "Conflict of interest". Most of the Deaf I talked don't get the term "Conflict of interest" meaning. That is where their message intended for FCC gets lost and FCC don't hear from them but complaints and rants about VRS making too much money. What they don't realize is that there are much more behind just paying terp to do the job. I have always directed them contact FCC directly, OR can always e mail to VRScomments@sorenson.com. I am not sure about NAD because they do have relationships with some VRS providers and it might cause conflict of interest.

I DO already noticed as soon as after Sorenson discontinued terp training program 3 or 4 years ago, their quality had declined considerable. Now more Deafies are complaining about poor terp quality. Since there is no training program, which leaves Sorenson two choices, warn terp to improve themselves OR fire them. Those who gets fired find another job, perhaps with Convo, Purple, WHATEVERVRS, Deaf then complaining their new provider didn't provide good terp. Its pretty much catch 22

Regardless, ALL corporations who are running business have done dirty business, and WILL always have dirty business to do. Its rare that companies would be doing business with 100% honesty because it can either cost them dearly, or they will go out of business in no time.

What I believe is that FCC needs to recognize the real needs of training program for relay operators and it would cost them money. I personally am hoping that FCC is making right decision, but from my experience, I think they are going wrong direction and again I hope my thoughts are wrong.

Finally, we need to realize that need of functionality equilvent isn't going to work, what we really need is functionality adaptive because the idea of functionality equilvent gives the impression that we need one size fits all. WHILE if we demand functionality adaptive, they could recognize different level of deafness needs. Deaf and HoH do not have same needs, their needs are pretty much different, and how can functionality equilvent is going to help?

Right now, FCC theme are Functionality Equivalent, whether you like it or not.

One person just told me recently, that I have deep passion for VRS and should go back and work for them again. I don't know and hopefully soon, I will be able to talk with those who works for FCC and find out more on where they are heading. I will be in DC, MD, VA alone with my friend on business trip and may have chance meet one of them who works for FCC.

I don't know about my future, and was hoping that I might stay in where I have passions with. I will have better picture within next month on where I am heading to. So, best I can say to those Deaf, especially the capital D not to give up and keep contact FCC directly and voice your concerns.

second the Deaf community needs to become more involved directly with the FCC, not using a cut and paste letter but in their own words, explaining where the problems are and what FCC should do to address them...

My college terps had "specialties" or at least passions. I had certain terps who I'd request who knew names of artists and how to spell colors better (when your colors become "phthalo" it makes a difference!). Some of my college terps would volunteer to do nano for another local college. Others would jump into history more. Some would work with all of us then be called upon specifically to interpreter for Deaf-Blind students. Along the same lines I had some interpreters (religious) who turned down working for my painting and drawing courses because of nudes in the room. And an SVRS interpreter handed me off to another person when I called into headquarters about photographing a stillborn baby.

I think the hardest thing is knowing what the interpreters for SVRS are going to be good at. I'd expect they probably have experience in a classroom or doctors office before they started for Sorenson. But how many SVRS interpreters are there and what are the chances of finding one who used to interpret for chemistry etc?

Are you able to converse with the terps before hand? Is there any level of interaction when you request?

During, I switched port from SVRS to ZVRS plus free iPad2 device. SVRS woke of my port has been switched. They ordered SVRS installers to offer me free nTouch device twice.. Yesterday, my local SVRS installer came over my home while I was not home. They offer me a free 22 inches HDTV with nTouch device. I say like rolling eyes...

I do think we as the Deaf consumer need to be a bit considerate of the interperters. while I feel they should be able to interpret anything from an ethical standpoint, I understand that with VRS they don't have an opportunity to decide if they want to take the assignment like with regular interpreting. For example, a terp that had been a victim of sexual abuse may not want to take an assignment for a counseling appointment for such subject. It is obvious to see how this could be emotional overwhelming for the interpreter even if she was trying to be totally professional.

If you are calling on a subject that you know might be difficult for some its nice to ask them and give them a chance to switch interpreters for you... Just say "I'm calling the dr about abortion. or calling my Girlfriend/Boyfriend and we tend to have pretty kinky conversation, are u comfortable interpreting this call or would you like connect me to a different interpreter?" I assure u either way the interpreter will appreciate you asking them

:laugh2: Sorry, the whole idea of having a kinky conversation with my partner with a terp made me laugh pretty hard... LMAO! :laugh2: I can just picture their uncomfortable face as I ask in a sexy signing motion "Hey baby, what are YOU wearing?" LMAO! Ahhhhh, it was too much... Especially since most of the terps I see now a days are older... lol! :laugh2:

:laugh2: Sorry, the whole idea of having a kinky conversation with my partner with a terp made me laugh pretty hard... LMAO! :laugh2: I can just picture their uncomfortable face as I ask in a sexy signing motion "Hey baby, what are YOU wearing?" LMAO! Ahhhhh, it was too much... Especially since most of the terps I see now a days are older... lol! :laugh2:

I had a guy I started going on a few dates with (didn't last).... he didn't have a phone with texting, so he would call me. He asked "what are you wearing" (joking) and they lectured him/me and hung up because they thought it was a prank.

Barbaro, just read this thread... I do have VP but don't mainly use it for VRS calls since I rely on IP-Relay to make calls to hearing because that way my typing are spoken word for word instead of substituting one word for another word that is easy for terp to speak...

It has been known that VRS terps may make callers sound low level to hearings... AS for me I catch them saying wrong words as such... so that force me to use IP-Relay so it would be said word for word. (hopefully)

I use Purple VRS (P3) on my laptop most of the time. It has a box for you or interpreter to type. I always type when they asked me for my last name, address, credit card nbr, etc. It was very beneficial.

Even sometimes interpreter can't see me due to bad wifi connection, we communicate via chat.

As a hearing person who communicates with deaf friends who use VRS, I'm sorry to say that not all VRS terps are created equal. :(

As a terp myself (not VRS) I understand the interpreting process. In addition, because I know the context of my conversations on VRS, I can easily catch interpretation errors. I sometimes have to make corrections in the utterance. No, I don't shout, "You made a mistake!" Rather, I respond back with rephrasing that includes the corrected phrases.

Fortunately, I'm able to catch name and spelling errors, and phone number errors. I don't know what other hearing callers think or do about calls that have errors.

On the other hand, some signing callers forget that the random VRS terp probably doesn't know all the name and local signs that you're using. The terp doesn't know who is "K-on-heart" or that "M-P" means Mount Pleasant.

Don't get me wrong. VRS is a wonderful service, and a more dynamic option to TTY. However, both parties need to be aware that it's not perfect, and adjust their calling practices accordingly.

I use Purple VRS (P3) on my laptop most of the time. It has a box for you or interpreter to type. I always type when they asked me for my last name, address, credit card nbr, etc. It was very beneficial.

Even sometimes interpreter can't see me due to bad wifi connection, we communicate via chat.
I like that text box option.

I think the various accents of the terps are interesting. Getting a call from a deaf good ol' boy from South with a terp's strong Boston accent is interesting. :giggle:

Did you know that some of the terps also have strong foreign accents? That is, I don't think their first spoken language is English.

Well said, I personally had experience with calling center taking calls from Deaf customers. Sometimes I was frustrated with Deaf customers using their hometown signs for name of whatever it is. I had to ask them spell out whatever their signs refer to. That made me realized and fingerspelling whatever the name of whatever it is instead of using signs. Especially when it comes to address. Some signs, I never heard of or know of.

As a hearing person who communicates with deaf friends who use VRS, I'm sorry to say that not all VRS terps are created equal. :(

As a terp myself (not VRS) I understand the interpreting process. In addition, because I know the context of my conversations on VRS, I can easily catch interpretation errors. I sometimes have to make corrections in the utterance. No, I don't shout, "You made a mistake!" Rather, I respond back with rephrasing that includes the corrected phrases.

Fortunately, I'm able to catch name and spelling errors, and phone number errors. I don't know what other hearing callers think or do about calls that have errors.

On the other hand, some signing callers forget that the random VRS terp probably doesn't know all the name and local signs that you're using. The terp doesn't know who is "K-on-heart" or that "M-P" means Mount Pleasant.

Don't get me wrong. VRS is a wonderful service, and a more dynamic option to TTY. However, both parties need to be aware that it's not perfect, and adjust their calling practices accordingly.

ZVRS applause me for switched port from Sorenson VRS to ZVRS?

attachment.php

Cool... I got free iPad 2 and gift card for me.

Attachments

• DSC02069.jpg
    DSC02069.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 87
ZVRS applause me for switched port from Sorenson VRS to ZVRS?

attachment.php

Cool... I got free iPad 2 and gift card for me.

$25? That's enough for dinner at Cheesecake Factory. :lol:

Very cheaper, IMO.

Weird.. ZVRS said they will offer me $50 giftcard and Ipad after I sent my Ntouch VP. Decision.. Decision.. hmm:hmm:

Weird.. ZVRS said they will offer me $50 giftcard and Ipad after I sent my Ntouch VP. Decision.. Decision.. hmm:hmm:

Z-20 device is no more now. Oh, hey silverhawknike. How is your Purple SmartVP? i heard someone upset of SmartVP. is that true?

wtf? no wifi and bluetooth and no downloadable apps? they lied to everyone about the features i saw what they said at detroit deafnation expo first show of smartvp! last spring and see? i have smartvp since oct 10 th and no feature and incoming flashing no work after they left hmmm?

Z-20 device is no more now. Oh, hey silverhawknike. How is your Purple SmartVP? i heard someone upset of SmartVP. is that true?

SmartVP is okay. Its work fine with other VP like Zvrs, P3, and other. SmartVP is not good compatible with Sorenson VP200/ NVP. Everytime, I call my friend who have SVRS, I kept get black Screen. Sometimes, I wait a little and my friend's screen will finally show. If not show screen, I have to hang up and call again and call again until I finally see my friend's video screen. SmartVP require two plugs and cant turn off. I decided to put away SmartVp and use NVP. NVP work great for me.
You can ask me more questions anytime! :)

SmartVP is okay. Its work fine with other VP like Zvrs, P3, and other. SmartVP is not good compatible with Sorenson VP200/ NVP. Everytime, I call my friend who have SVRS, I kept get black Screen. Sometimes, I wait a little and my friend's screen will finally show. If not show screen, I have to hang up and call again and call again until I finally see my friend's video screen. SmartVP require two plugs and cant turn off. I decided to put away SmartVp and use NVP. NVP work great for me.
You can ask me more questions anytime! :)

Someone told me that when you get the black screen, to hit the privavcy button and then hit it again and it works. Purple is supposed to update ssoon to fix it. That's what I was told. No idea if it's true.

Back