Autoimmune disease & CI? (not the ears though!)

mistyfog

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm new here. I've been cluelessly plugging along with my 8yo oticon Epoqs, but hearing is almost always difficult (esp. of course social situations, unless one-on-one in quiet).

When I went for eval for new aids, my audi mentioned that I meet criteria for hybrid CI (hearing wise). I was totally stunned since I hadn't heard about this... but I am cautiously excited!

I've been doing as much reading as I can, trying to learn about CI technology, biology and the way this all works.

Would having an autoimmune condition exclude me from a CI? I have small fiber neuropathy (post-Lyme) - and I get IVIG (intravenous immunoglobulin) infusion weekly as treatment (which is slowly helping).

Has anyone with Cigna medical, gotten a hybrid CI covered?
Many thanks,
Misty

Having an autoimmune disorder will not be an automatic disqualifier but if the ENT thinks there may be an issue with it affecting the outcome, it could. That would an case by case decision.

As for the Hybrid....please look at the thread going about hybrids already....if you need a CI, get a CI. The outcome will be much better!

Hi mystifog
Have you looked into sign language? (If you dont already use it)
No drills, no wires, no plugs,no holes in your head
Its Portible, Can be used in more enviroments, is safer, doesnt require any device or power supply, sign is the superior technology and when learned will set you.....(refer to my sig)

Hi mystifog
Have you looked into sign language? (If you dont already use it)
No drills, no wires, no plugs,no holes in your head
Its Portible, Can be used in more enviroments, is safer, doesnt require any device or power supply, sign is the superior technology and when learned will set you.....(refer to my sig)

#rolleyes..... if you are late-deafend and live in a 'hearing' world, sign is worthless. I have a good job to maintain, I have bills to pay, I have medical insurance needs. I lost my hearing but that doesn't have mean I need to lose all sense of my identify and community.

Back to the original question. Auto-immune issues shouldn't be an issue unless there is something very specific that would affect the implanted area. I have all sorts of auto-immune issues (believed to be the cause of my hearing loss) and had the CI done w/o issue.

Best of luck.

#rolleyes..... if you are late-deafend and live in a 'hearing' world, sign is worthless. I have a good job to maintain, I have bills to pay, I have medical insurance needs. I lost my hearing but that doesn't have mean I need to lose all sense of my identify and community.

Actually I am late deafened with bills to pay, a job to maintain....while the VA pays for my medical bills so I cannot claim that. I would not call sign worthless and it has in fact helped me a lot. I have not lost my identity nor community .... And have, in fact, gained on both aspects....

You sure you only lost your hearing? Or did you always have difficulty in critical thinking?
learning sign in no way shape or form means you need to give up your identity, or community.
But im sure fear makes you all warm inside. So
Meh

I spent my whole life hearing, but I am slowly losing my hearing. I will get a CI a soon as I am eligible, but I also want to learn sign. What's wrong with taking advantage of all the tools available?

You sure you only lost your hearing? Or did you always have difficulty in critical thinking?
learning sign in no way shape or form means you need to give up your identity, or community.
But im sure fear makes you all warm inside. So
Meh

Re-read my post, I didn't say learning sign meant you gave up your identity or community. Loosing one's hearing does that and learning sign will not make you part of your former 'hearing' community or 'hearing' identity. If one chooses to learn sign over getting a CI, by all means more power to them. But your community and identity will be forever changed.

Actually I am late deafened with bills to pay, a job to maintain....while the VA pays for my medical bills so I cannot claim that. I would not call sign worthless and it has in fact helped me a lot. I have not lost my identity nor community .... And have, in fact, gained on both aspects....

If you want/need/try to maintain your former 'hearing' life/job and community after your hearing loss sign won't help you. Let me be clear, I'm only disputing the value of sign in the specific instance of trying to live in the 'hearing' world. I agree sign is an invaluable tool, but you have to be in an environment that compliments that form of communication. There are benefits to learning it and using it, and I won't dispute that. But maintaining your 'hearing' identity and 'hearing' community isn't one of them.

I could never do my current job using sign. I could certainly never go into business on my own like I had planned to do. I've only maintained my job because of other means of communication: email, instant messaging, text messaging and now the use of my CI. I have to be able to communicate and I would never expect my co-workers, vendors, clients..etc to pick up sign simply to communicate with me.

If you want/need/try to maintain your former 'hearing' life/job and community after your hearing loss sign won't help you. Let me be clear, I'm only disputing the value of sign in the specific instance of trying to live in the 'hearing' world. I agree sign is an invaluable tool, but you have to be in an environment that compliments that form of communication. There are benefits to learning it and using it, and I won't dispute that. But maintaining your 'hearing' identity and 'hearing' community isn't one of them.

I could never do my current job using sign. I could certainly never go into business on my own like I had planned to do. I've only maintained my job because of other means of communication: email, instant messaging, text messaging and now the use of my CI. I have to be able to communicate and I would never expect my co-workers, vendors, clients..etc to pick up sign simply to communicate with me.

Again I disagree...but to each their own...

Back