ASL Or SEE Or PSE? Which are you?

peekaboo

Reaction score
I sign all of them. I learned to sign SEE first, then PSE, and THEN ASL much much later in my early 20s :)
AND... I just learned BSL alphabet several years ago. :D

I learned with SEE in school especially in elementary school in reading class (mixed with speech therapy, FM systems, cued speech- or whatever youd call signed supported speech) by HS i used more PSE/SE especially with my Deaf/HoH friends (i don't have many most are from summer camp) I'm in my 20s and working on becoming fluent in ASL so i can be more active in the Deaf community.

Thats awesome. You can learn ASL by watching youtube videos. However being around deafies is one way to learn. That is how I learned :D

I have been learning ASL, but many people around me do PSE. I'm also learning JSL through youtube.

I'm ASL fluent and it is my preferred language. I do code switch to PSE depending on who is around me if they prefer PSE and not ASL fluent.

How about ISL, Irish Sign Language?
I think I held my own, but I also think I made an ass of myself. :)

I'm fluent in SEE, PSE and ASL. I usually use either ASL or PSE. I haven't used SEE in a while. When it comes to SEE, I strongly dislike using past, present, and future tenses. Oh, and adverb, too. I plan to learn LSM (Mexican Sign Language) in future. However, I do know Mexican gestures. It's very common among Mexican society. Hearing Mexicans can use gestures. In San Antonio, it's full of Hispanics here. When they realize I'm deaf, they use Mexican gestures, not LSM. No problemo!

I'm fluent in SEE, PSE and ASL. I usually use either ASL or PSE. I haven't used SEE in a while. When it comes to SEE, I strongly dislike using past, present, and future tenses. Oh, and adverb, too. I plan to learn LSM (Mexican Sign Language) in future. However, I do know Mexican gestures. It's very common among Mexican society. Hearing Mexicans can use gestures. In San Antonio, it's full of Hispanics here. When they realize I'm deaf, they use Mexican gestures, not LSM. No problemo!
I cant stand SEE, BORING! I am the same way, I dont like using past present and future tenses. It takes forever ! lol Hello BTW!

Awesome I grew up in a predominately Mexican Spanish speaking area but Ive never seen or been exposed to MSL. When I taught the special needs kiddos in the Head Start preschool program all but 2 students came from Spanish speaking homes. There was a 4 yo girl with a CI I worked with, and we used verbal Spanish, verbal English and ASL (though it was closer to SE so probably more like PSE)

When you say SEE do you mean signed English ot actual SEE 1 ot 2 the made up systems that attempt to teach DHH kids English as their first language especially with reading ability. A lot of people think SEE mean signed English (SE) so dont worry.

Awesome I grew up in a predominately Mexican Spanish speaking area but Ive never seen or been exposed to MSL. When I taught the special needs kiddos in the Head Start preschool program all but 2 students came from Spanish speaking homes. There was a 4 yo girl with a CI I worked with, and we used verbal Spanish, verbal English and ASL (though it was closer to SE so probably more like PSE)

When you say SEE do you mean signed English ot actual SEE 1 ot 2 the made up systems that attempt to teach DHH kids English as their first language especially with reading ability. A lot of people think SEE mean signed English (SE) so dont worry.

Correct. I grew up oral. I was taught SEE 2 by my 2nd grade teacher.

Back