ASL Homonyms ?

dkoronakos

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this was already discussed a lot - I didn't find anything when I searched.

I am a hearing guy learning ASL with the help of online classes and a coworker of mine who is deaf.

She and I are trying to assemble a list of what I'm calling "ASL homonyms" - not sure if there is a better, more official term - signs that look identical, and you must know context to distinguish them.

So far we've come up with the following list. Are there others that anyone can think of ?

----------

good / thank you

f / 9

w / 6

c / 100

devil / naughty

but / different

address / live / survive

battery / electricity

santa / beard

response / order

cute / sugar

pet / spoil

----------

BLUCLOUD.GIF

Only 3 I could think of.
2/peace symbol
hamburger/peace
like/interesting

Oh, interesting [no pun intended] -

Do you sign [interesting] with one hand or two ? I learned [interesting] is like [like] except with both hands. I am learning from people in CA so maybe it is a regional difference ? Where do you live ?

Thank you Thumbup for the info !

I am halfway through the course series given by Dr. Bill - he used to have the online version of his courses behind a paywall, but a while ago I noticed that he made them all free for everyone, I think to encourage hearing parents of deaf children to learn ASL for their sakes, a real public service.

I would differ in several of these, on first glance yes but closer inspection , like but and different one sign is more exaggerated, w&6, f&9, I was taught to tap so as to not confuse, ok the difference in eery, scared, frighten, terrified... give up?? mouth meams, mm, ooh, ahh, is or eee, there is more to a sign than the sign there is also the delivery:popcorn:

Thank you Thumbup for the info !

I am halfway through the course series given by Dr. Bill - he used to have the online version of his courses behind a paywall, but a while ago I noticed that he made them all free for everyone, I think to encourage hearing parents of deaf children to learn ASL for their sakes, a real public service.
If you enjoy learning from Dr.Bill Vicars, he has hundreds of completely available free lesson videos on YouTube.

Back