Approval for Surgery and schedule date

Johnjoe1011

Reaction score
Well my CI friends is time for me to update everyone. My insurance UnitedHealthCare approved my CI surgery and the schedule date is April 3rd. I still don't know which side they are going to implant.

The out-of-pocket total is $1,500.00 that is very cheap for a 30K+ surgery. I am excited but at the same time very very nervous. I have a little chip on the shoulder and not sure how people are going to react when they see me with a CI. Need some forum support.

The surgery will be at University of Miami Cochlear Implant Center. The doctor is Dr. Thomas Balkany. I have choosen the Freedom and it comes in different colors. Also with rechargable battery.

Upon reading a post from HearAgain it seams the at the activation date the voices will sound like a robot but it get's better later.

As far as my tinnitus i do hope it goes away. I have had this ringing in the ears for more than 30 years and if it goes away it will be a blessing.

Well guys/gals give me your comments.

Thanks - JohnJoe

Surgery: April 3rd Very Nervous

Cool. Good luck with the surgery and the outcome aftermath. Just take everything in stride, including people's ignorance or bad attitude. :)

Don't you get to choose which side? People usually opt for the bad side because it raise more possibility for improvement in hearing.

Cool. Good luck with the surgery and the outcome aftermath. Just take everything in stride, including people's ignorance or bad attitude. :)

Don't you get to choose which side? People usually opt for the bad side because it raise more possibility for improvement in hearing.

I second that!

You're in a good place on here -- there are a LOT of CIers (CIborgs/ CIborgettes?) here -- you'll be hearing from a lot of them soon!

Congratulations on your insurance approval and surgery date! :)

Like you, I was also concerned about the reaction of others regarding my CI -- especially my Deaf friends. However, I found that as long as I explained that the decision to receive a CI was the best decision for *me*, they were 100% supportive of my decision.

As I mentioned in another post, be prepared for voices to sound strange upon activation. Also expect that the sound quality of what you hear will get better. I've had my first CI for a little over 2 years and my second CI for 11 months. Everything I hear at this point sounds exactly the way I remember before losing my hearing. :) You might want to read the thread I started entitled, "2 Year CI Anniversary" to get an idea of what sounds and voices were like for me during the first several months I had my (1st) CI:

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/38006-2-year-ci-anniversary.html

Good luck -- and congratulations! :)

I did not get to choose on which side for my CI to be implanted. Dr told me best on good ear with better simulation. I was hoping on left ear and leave my good right ear alone but oh well. I may have 2nd implant in 5 years from now. Who know.

WHOOO! Awesome!!!!!!! That's 3 months from now. Good luck! You'll do just fine!!! :) You will feel it was just 3 minutes in the surgery! That's how I felt! It take about 3 hours do the surgery.

johnjoe1011:

Congratulations you are approved and scheduled for surgery! I know you got to be excited about it!

Good luck!! :)

Johnjoe,

Best of success in your endeavors.

Don't worry too much about others. Just worry about yourself. All the rest will take care of itself.

It's great that you have a date now Johnjoe! :) Let the days roll on!

I think we need to have a calender thread so that we can put everyones dates down and know who is due to have their surgeries and/or switch ons. There is so much going on now in this forum it would be nice to keep track of everyone for support.

Does anyone know how to do a table of sorts? On other forurms I've been on (not CI) we have been able to make tables to keep track of people.

I think we need to have a calender thread so that we can put everyones dates down and know who is due to have their surgeries and/or switch ons. There is so much going on now in this forum it would be
nice to keep track of everyone for support.

Does anyone know how to do a table of sorts? On other forurms I've been on (not CI) we have been able to make tables to keep track of people.

That's an excellent idea R2D2. I second your suggestion. :) Unfortunately, tables aren't accessible to me via my screen reader and Braille display, so I wonder if we could create several sticky threads (such as "Upcoming Surgeries," "Upcoming Activations," "January Surgeries," "January Activations," etc.) and have people add their respective dates to them?

Back