Any deaf chef here?

I'n my budding years at Disney, I worked with chefs Tony Bodner, Alfred Boll, and Jesse Tiscareno. I dunno if any of these names are big now but they can cook up real fancy stuff. I even dipped live grasshopers into chocolate with one of them. And add my top notch home cooking skills too.

I dunno if that makes me a 'Deaf Chef' here.

Richard

I used to know a deaf professional chef that lives in Boston. He wa one of the chefs at The Hyatt. I dont believe he is an AD member. Last I heard he won a couple of local awards for his recipes and got moved to one of the top chef positions at his work.

I have not heard of his name? In Boston Chef ?

Oh sure i will tell you as I dont mind.. Well I was trying to cut the Ribeye steaks for back up so be ready in case we ran out of steaks for that night. My boss said he did sharpened the knife. I have things about knife.. dont ask me why.. ha..

So I cut but somehow i heard the tendon popped then I felt the pain went thru to my elbow. it Hurts!!! (my sis heard the tendon popped too?)i had to go to ER.. the dr said i have cts.. I went my family dr he said same thing.. So i was referred to special dr and he ordered tests.. he found that I have cts and something else.. but hes not sure what it was??

I had therapy for my hand.. it helped but it is still swollen? so not sure why.. every time i used my hand it get swollen and painful.. so i have to be careful and do it easy.. you know?? Oh yeah it is weak now.. So i cant hold my coffee cup or other thing much anymore. Sometimes I dropped things out of my hand.. cant help.. so have to put it on my left hand.. lol

the bad thing that I am a right handed.. so it's hard to write .. its not the same as before.. so you see i cant work again in restaurant cuz it kept getting painful when i used my hand?? :( I just have to find something else that I dont have to use my hand but what?? jeez.. maybe go back to school and learn something else.. sigh! i really love cooking... :(

Gingerbread-

Tell me what happened with your right handwraist, do you mind? Hope it wasn't burned from inside the fryer or grinder.Let me tell you a terrible story and hope it wont make your mind as dwell as forever. I promise that it wont happen to you again includes others, too!

In the last 10 years, one of my oldest friends who worked as chef with me at the hotel and he worked for 8 years. He is very nice person and friendly. Unfortunately, the most saddest thing I ever seen in my life. It was hard for me to forget what happened to my friend, u know. Image if he was my son or brother, I would cry for hours and hours..he is my friend who always helped me through a tough job here for many years. Anyway, what happened was that I saw before he put his right hand inside a big metal of Doug Mixer which is 375 volts- 5hp motor 4 speeds. His job is to make alot of mashed potatoes, heavy cream, butter, salt, garlic and white pepper.He had done it many times but one day it happened so fast He didn't realize when it spinned his right hand through the mixer when he put some butter into it. That was how it happened. I can't even explain how horrible thing you wouldn't want to see.

One day u might never know when it could happen to you, that is why the job is very serious and dangerous in your position or area. Be sure to watch before you do something.

The Equipment Kitchen like Food Processor, Grinder, fry cutter, Meat Chopper ,Slicier, mixers,machine and oven. As most of us as chef or cook should know how to be careful because these are too powerful it is dangerous to put yourself in a high risk of job. Please watch yourself or others if you could.

K.S. Sous Chef-California

Maybe someone should start a Deaf cooking show to compete with Rachel Ray!

cool idea!! U know I may be medical, but I do cook a ton. And I sometimes work with a chef. Also Could Rachel Ray do a 15 min meal? I can!! I could even do a video with my webcam for ya'll I am dead serious!!

bye for now

I have not heard of his name? In Boston Chef ?

His name is Howie...I forgot his last name. Havent seen nor spoke with him in 5 years but through friends, they tell me about him winning some awards for his recipes. He did cook me dinner one time when I was living in Boston..very delicous!!! hmmm!

my hometown dont have deaf chefs but only for hearing people that really stranges for me!

Hello all, I am a professional chef but I'm sorta "retiring" from that field since I've been doing it for so many years. I do enjoy it but I'm burnt out with working with the hearing folks since they always think that deaf people cannot do it. The last one I had was at a local ski resort. It was fun but I didn't get any respect at all from fellow workers. It is sad that this is happening but that's okay because I know I am damn good and my wife is satisfied! LOL

Hello all, I am a professional chef but I'm sorta "retiring" from that field since I've been doing it for so many years. I do enjoy it but I'm burnt out with working with the hearing folks since they always think that deaf people cannot do it. The last one I had was at a local ski resort. It was fun but I didn't get any respect at all from fellow workers. It is sad that this is happening but that's okay because I know I am damn good and my wife is satisfied! LOL

If your wife is satisfied, then how come she has been cooking more than you have been? Pffflllt!!!! :giggle:

His name is Howie...I forgot his last name. Havent seen nor spoke with him in 5 years but through friends, they tell me about him winning some awards for his recipes. He did cook me dinner one time when I was living in Boston..very delicous!!! hmmm!

Oh gosh! is your first name is S___ and your parent and brother are deaf too? anyway His Last name Ka____n and has deaf sister Bonnie.. I am sure Kalista knew his sister!? also Howie was my ex for 5 years and no longer worked in Hyatt! :):):)

I have a small restaurant, my son is a chef and I'm the "short order cook" but that's an understatment. We do catering for parties and groups.

While reading this thread I had daydreams of all the Deaf Chefs here challenging Bobby Flay in Kitchen Stadium. Of course, the Deaf team wins and serves the opponent some humble pie for dessert. :giggle:

hint hint hint...

I work as a Sous chef/ pastry chef, its fun because my boss lets me do the pastry stuff on my own and I am slowly teaching them sign. dont know any Deaf chefs but my mom graduated with a Deaf chef at the Culinary Academy in SF.

Back