Amtrak Crash Kills 5 In Colorado

Sadly yes. Congress keeps monkeying with the Amtrak budget every year and within Amtrak itself the push around the money too. Back about 15-20 years ago middle management was bloated big time in my aunt's department- I don't know if it still is- wouldn't surprise me.
Most of the tracks Amtrak owns (northeast corridor and a few other small sections) don't have grade crossings.
Freight train companies (UP, BNSF, CSX, etc) are responsible for the grade crossings along their tracks.

Everyone should stop, look, listen before crossing tracks that don't have gates & lights.

And then what no one seems to have mentioned at the ones that have lights but no gates.

And then what no one seems to have mentioned at the ones that have lights but no gates.
Lights and gates are triggered to come on by approaching trains. If everything is working properly, then you do not need to stop at the tracks before proceeding if the lights are not flashing. Though it's always a good idea to look for trains as you approach the tracks.

You need to stop, look, listen when the only warning of tracks is the crossbucks RR signs

Last edited:
If every driver did as LoveBlue stated, there would be no problem with the crossings. The problem is, people get lazy or in a hurry, then accidents happen.

Even at lighted and gated crossings, I slow down enough to look both ways first, and make sure the way ahead is clear before I enter a crossing.

At ungated ones we always stop and look.

Yep agree with everyone about the stop/slow down, look, listen (for hearing people). Too many stories from my aunt about train accidents, trains hitting cars (especially at crossings where there are no signals or barriers(or even if there is lights- they're probably broken).

Yep agree with everyone about the stop/slow down, look, listen (for hearing people). Too many stories from my aunt about train accidents, trains hitting cars (especially at crossings where there are no signals or barriers(or even if there is lights- they're probably broken).
Or drivers who run around the gates to beat the train or don't stop before the gates if there's no room to cross safely (traffic backed up).

Or drivers who run around the gates to beat the train or don't stop before the gates if there's no room to cross safely (traffic backed up).

It's usually those drivers I heard about all those years ago. Her department had to deal with the fall out with many of the accidents including rerouting, schedules...

It's usually those drivers I heard about all those years ago. Her department had to deal with the fall out with many of the accidents including rerouting, schedules...
She worked at CNOC by the Wilm train station?

Gramps rode a train all over the country. Just jumped on them. If I recall he made it all the way back to the East Coast. :afro:

Sad story. We have plenty of ungated crossings here but have the flashing lights. I have not heard of any fatal accidents around here.

It's so embarrassing... Other countries has advanced trains and better railroads. Hmm... :|

Yes, of course, it is true. :(

High speed train in northeastern states are joke.

That's because at the time they started using them they WERE tops or whatever. The fact that Amtrak and/or the US government didn't expand from that is what's a joke.

That's because at the time they started using them they WERE tops or whatever. The fact that Amtrak and/or the US government didn't expand from that is what's a joke.

I blamed on US government for poor job, not Amtrak, also state government can be part of problem.

Back