American hearing guy/deaf Korean girl meet

jackinkorea

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post. Please forgive me if I am offensive in anyway due to my ignorance. I am embarrassed to say that I have never spoken to a deaf person before I met this woman in Seoul, South Korea. It was a blind date. I did not know she is deaf. I saw her and smiled at her. She turned and signed to her friend. That was when I realized she was deaf.
She, her friend, and I had dinner then drinks and wrote(in Korean) on a notebook. The date was extremely comfortable and smooth. She seemed to like me and I know that I liked her. The problems are: 1) I cant speak/write korean well; 2)she knows no English;3) I know nothing about deaf culture or how to act. I was so afraid that I would offend her. I wanted her not to care about others watching them signing and other people watching. I really didnt care. The koreans will all watch. I really like her so much. I felt so at peace with her. She is so beautiful and so kind. I just want to get to know her. My questions are: 1.does anyone have any resources to learn Korean sign language? 2) How can I pursue her(in honorable fashion) and let her know I care about her so much. I felt such a strong attraction to her, but also there was a large gap due to language and she is deaf and I am hearing. Please help me. And again, I am sorry if I am unintentionally offensive.

No offensive. No Worry! !

Wow, That is difficult situation. I understand how u feel abt her...go after her. Unless if you willing learn about Korean sign language. Ya can find it on internet or library. They do have lot lot lot information.

Deaf just cant hear. Thats all. No big deal. U can communication with her thru sign language (Korean).

Good luck.... :fingersx:

:afro:

M-

LOL, you're not offensive at all. You don't have to "act" a certain way around deaf people. There's no such thing. Be yourself! Think of it this way. What if she was hearing, Korean and didn't speak any English? This is a good way for you to practice your language and tell her to teach you a few signs. You'll pick up from there. Yeah, you should try to get books on Korean sign language. Good luck!! I hope it really works out very well. Any questions, write back! At first, it may seem impossible, but remember you're still new at this.

I don't know how long you have been in Korea or whatever.
But just in case, also keep Korean culture in mind. Their culture is different from our. I know only a little about their culture because I used to take Tae Kwon Do lessons and I like to watch Korea drama television and movies.

That and add deaf culture into mix. That would be tough, but if you truly like her then I guess anything's possible.

One thing you can do is ask her if she have books or resources to help you improve. She would be glad to know that someone cared enough to learn their own culture and language.

Learn to speak/write/sign in Korean...wow.

no matter any international deaf people can learn as English or non-English no matter for you.

My boyfriend who lives in London,England he can sign and also he is hearing because he told me on e-mail messages that he have deaf friend.His deaf friend taught my boyfriend to learn sign some not lots im also deaf but he like me very deeply.But i will teach my boyfriend to sign languages in American from British because British looks so different! but that not so easy in British sign languages books!

it's better for you to go to take special course to learn ASL then you should be fine.

Hello everyone. This is my first post. Please forgive me if I am offensive in anyway due to my ignorance. I am embarrassed to say that I have never spoken to a deaf person before I met this woman in Seoul, South Korea. It was a blind date. I did not know she is deaf. I saw her and smiled at her. She turned and signed to her friend. That was when I realized she was deaf.
She, her friend, and I had dinner then drinks and wrote(in Korean) on a notebook. The date was extremely comfortable and smooth. She seemed to like me and I know that I liked her. The problems are: 1) I cant speak/write korean well; 2)she knows no English;3) I know nothing about deaf culture or how to act. I was so afraid that I would offend her. I wanted her not to care about others watching them signing and other people watching. I really didnt care. The koreans will all watch. I really like her so much. I felt so at peace with her. She is so beautiful and so kind. I just want to get to know her. My questions are: 1.does anyone have any resources to learn Korean sign language? 2) How can I pursue her(in honorable fashion) and let her know I care about her so much. I felt such a strong attraction to her, but also there was a large gap due to language and she is deaf and I am hearing. Please help me. And again, I am sorry if I am unintentionally offensive.

My old friend has been married to his Korean wife and gave me some Korean phrases, which is fun to learn. Why? My hearing fiance spent two years in South Korea, so I can woo him with love phrases. :) He had learned Korean language and Korean Sign Language simultaneously, which was a big challenge for him. He even has a Korean Sign language book, but it is in Korean language, though. As far as i know, Korean sign language is influenced heavily by the Japanese Sign language and it is two handed sign language.

I recommend getting a very good Korean dictionary and Korean Sign Language books. This Korean girl you like can teach you sign language. My suggestion is hang out with her daily will help you learn the Korean sign language quicker than studying Korean Sign language on your own. You can sign up for a Korean Sign Language class. Ask her about Deaf Korean Culture and classes is where you will get information from. Good Luck.

By the way, Greeting to lover ( like Honey) is "Yobo." ;)

my girlfriend has a CI... her first language is Hungarian but she's fluent in English, and understanding spoken english is going on in leaps and bounds.

I guess language barriers can be an issue, but hey, it's just a matter of time to learn another language eh?

Back