Accidental Death In Children Is Drowning...

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
The second leading cause of accidental deafth in children is drowning ..Every year approximately 300 children under the age of 4 drown in swimming pools...To keep your children safe this summer check out the fast-action plan...

Pool Rules:

• DO install a fence around your pool. It should be at least five feet high and have a self closing, selft-latching gate.
  • DO use a rigid safety cover when no one's in the pool. Avoid soft coverings like plastic sheets. If your child tries to walk on toop , he/she could fall underneath.
  • DO make sure children wear sneakers or rubber-soled shoes while walking on the desk, which can get slippery or too hot for bare feet.
  • DON'T keep toys or clutter on the pool desk, a child could trip over something and fall into the water.
  • DON'T let your children push others, run, or play aggressively near the pool.
  • DON'T let your children swim alone and make sure your family knows what to do in emergency , including whom to call and where to find rescue equipment.

Swimming Lessons
Your child may be ready to learn to swim around the age of 4... Keep these tips in mind when picking a program....

• Ask the superbisor how instructors are trained and what qualifications they hold: YMCA Or American Red Cross - certified programs are good ones.
  • To see wheather your child's skill match those of others children taking the class, watch a lesson before signing up. If he/she uncomfortable in the water, consider joining a parent and child course first.
  • Check that the class has one instructor in every six preschool-age children. Your child should receive some individual attention druing the lesson.
  • Make sure the instructor practice ' toch supervision ' by being within arm's length of your child.

Household Hazards

* Toilet Bowl:
( your active toddler could climb into the toilet or fall in while trying to retrieve a toy )....To stay-safe-- Install a toliet-cover safety latch or lid lock. Keep the bathroom door closed....

* Deep Containers or Buckets:
(A child can drwon in a bucket containing only an inch of water ).... To stay-safe-- Make sure you empty containers such as coolers and utillity buckets and check that all lids fit properly....

*Baby Bath Rings or Seats:
( Your child can slip out of the device and get trapped underneath, especially if it moves or tips over )....To stay-safe--Don't rely on baby rings or seats to keep your child safe. Never leave him/her alone in the bathtub....

* Wading Pools:
( They're often not fully drained and are easy for children to climb into )....To stay-safe-- Empty the pool completely after each use, and make sure to store it out of your child's reach....

To The Rescue
If your child is stuggling in the ocean or a lake , have someone call 911 immediately and follow these steps:

• Fight the instinct to jump into the water after her/him. You might get caught in a strong current, putting your life in danger too.
  • If she/he's within reaching distance, extend a long stick or an oar---- anything she/he can grab onto or throw out one end of a large beach towel, and pull her/him to safety.
  • If she/he's too far out, toss her/him a flotation device, such as a life jacket or life preserver. If possible, tie a rope to the device first so you can tow her/him in.
  • If you decide to go into the water, wear a life jacket device between you and your child so she/he uses it amd not you -- for support, you may not be strong enough to carry her/him yourself.
  • If your child is unconscious, begin rescue breathing until help arrives, Make sure you know CPR

Beach

Watch your child at ALL times, no matter how good a swimmer he/she is...and even if he/she's playing in shallow water. Unlike swimming pools, oceans can change conditions at any moment....Don't let your child use flotation device or inflatable toys if he/she's not a strong swimmer, they could suddenly shift position, lose air or slip out from underneath him....Make sure your child stays within the designated swimming area-- away from piers , pillings and diving platforms...Check the surf conditions every morning ....Ask the lifequard which potential hazards you should watch for that day....

Surprising Swimming Pool Hazards
Checking out what you need to know to keep your child from catching cooties at the pool this summer season..

E.Coli, Shigella, Giardia And Cryptosporidium -
Symptoms Diarrhea ( sometimes bloodly ) with E. coll and Shigella, children may also have a fever....How children catch it? These germs are spread through food or water ( including pool water ) that has fecal contamination.... Prevention Plan Avoid pools that aren't well maintained or where children are allowed in the water in diapers...Tell your child not to swallow pool water...

Common warts and Molluscum Contagiosum ( Viral Skin Growths )
Symptoms Small warts or blisters on the skin....How Children catch it? A virus enters the skin through direct contact with an infected person or by sharing a towel... Prevention Plan Make sure your child use her/him own towel at the pool....

Swimming's Ear
Symptoms This ear-canal infection cause pain and discharge.... How Children catch it? It's spread by water-loving bacteria called pseudomonas... Prevention Plan Dry your child's ears as best you can after she/he swims.....If she/he's prone to swimmer's ear, your doctor may suggest an alcohol-based ear drop to dry the ear canal after swimming....

Thanks Angel for posting that. We sometimes forget about water safety. Summer is approaching so it is a good idea for you to post that to remind us :)

Even a split second makes a huge difference. Once when my oldest was 2, we were at a pool party. I turned around to look for a particular person. Before I knew it, people were screaming. I turned back really quickly to see my daughter sinking into the pool. I jumped right into the pool, fully clothed and had my hearing aids and a glass of pop in my hand to grab her.

You can't imagine how panicked I was. I ruined my hearing aids but it was worth my daughter's life.

Meg said:
Thanks Angel for posting that. We sometimes forget about water safety. Summer is approaching so it is a good idea for you to post that to remind us :)

Even a split second makes a huge difference. Once when my oldest was 2, we were at a pool party. I turned around to look for a particular person. Before I knew it, people were screaming. I turned back really quickly to see my daughter sinking into the pool. I jumped right into the pool, fully clothed and had my hearing aids and a glass of pop in my hand to grab her.

You can't imagine how panicked I was. I ruined my hearing aids but it was worth my daughter's life.
wow... u lucky save ur daughter alive!!! yea true worth ur daugther than hearing aid i dont blame u.. same thing if happen i will same!!!

Good Reminder Sis.....

I am with My Boys the Whole time around the Pool or Water Park..My 4 Yrs Old still scared of Water He would just hold on So Tight and Won't let go.. Heh...

That is a Very Important Issue about Drowning Cuz it can Happen so Quick and Scary the same time....

Meg said:

Yup Meg I have to agree with you *Even a split second makes a huge difference*

I remember when my daughter would NOT listen to me, I told her stay right here, do not go to the pool, while I struggle to lock the gate for my sister when My ex was doing landscaping so he asked me to lock the gate, I told him watch daughter, but he was moaning so I took her with me and told her "stay right here (right beside me)" but somehow the lock gave me hard time to lock it, I felt so funny I turn around and found her disappear I knew the moment that she's right there I ran over and grabbed her (she wasn't in deepend thank god) Never forget that so She held "teddybear like she was giving a hug" I told her "please don't scare mommy" I gave her a hugs and held her so she would know that I am there for her etc then she was fine :) It can take a second even you turn away from your sight for a sec or two.

Wendy

Great thread, Angel.
Also I would like to add another hazards when it comes to children and drowing.

Remember that if you go on vacations in the nature, that the nature can be very unpredictable. If you are camping in canyon valleys or in some places where land is low, get your children and yourself to higher ground to avoid potential flash flood hazards.

Flash floods can be dangerous, even when you are not on vacation. If there is a bad thunderstorm or rainstorm, with a lot of rain dumping, do not drive through a road that has water going over it. It could be much deeper and you would be putting your child in danger. Avoid roads like that.

Meg said:

You're so welcome Meg! ;)

I'm glad that your quick response to jump into the pool did saved your daughter's life....Any mother or father wouldn't hesitate for one second if it meant saving a child's life....I would have been frantic but at the same time I'd do anything that would require of me in order to save my child's life....

You are one great mom! :)

In Australia -- if anyone with a swimming pool in the back don't have a fence or safety installed for pools...they face massive fines and require by law to have fences built around the pool.

Great thread, Angel...

Wow Meg! I know it could be happening at less than 1 minute... True, the children are worth in our life...

I keep my eye on my children when they go pool... My oldest sons are good swimmer... They learn to swim since they were toddler & also at school, too...

At out/indoor swimming pool is safety than sea... but I still watch them... ESPECIALLY sea... :-o Oh No... I make sure they are safety when I go swim with them when we visit beach...

WaterRats13 said:
In Australia -- if anyone with a swimming pool in the back don't have a fence or safety installed for pools...they face massive fines and require by law to have fences built around the pool.

That I like to keep see in USA too.. They should pass law for that too.. I mean there are many kids with parents have pool.. My sister has inground pool they removed gate and fence.. Makes me worry with their last child who has epiplsey plus other few disbilities.. that's scary though to see her go in backyard but they do have fence yard in backyard for playground.. STILL that is not enough..

Wendy

Wow, your daughter is lucky.. Has she sign up for swimming lesson yet?

My son Kyler is almost 2 and thank god I got him signed up for swimming lesson when he was 10 months old, and he is in 3rd time in swimming lesson. He is getting good with swim, and holding breathe while under water.. Now, this time, he is learning to dive in the water. Kyler is a waterbaby.. :roll:

CrazyRedHeadWV said:
Wow, your daughter is lucky.. Has she sign up for swimming lesson yet?

Oh yes I signed my girls up for swimming lessons :) It was just that my oldest daughter love water and was not afraid of water, not realizing how dangerous it is. She would jump into deep end, laughing but I keep telling her she cannot do that without me watching as she was only 2 at that time and did not know how to swim in deep ends.

My younger one is afraid of water and never did anything like that so I didnt have to worry so much about water safety around her.

Back