1989 HA study showing more gain=better

Are we in 1989??

NOO!!

So therefore it is NOT relevant, we're in 2009 if you didnt notice....

One of the very first sentences says:

"While reliable detection thresholds for pure tones can be determined for severely/profoundly hearing impaired children at a rather young age, it is more difficult to measure their ability to perceive speech."

That is the whole point....which you missed. What good is it to have huge gains and super loud aids if it doesn't provide access to speech?

One of the very first sentences says:

"While reliable detection thresholds for pure tones can be determined for severely/profoundly hearing impaired children at a rather young age, it is more difficult to measure their ability to perceive speech."

That is the whole point....which you missed. What good is it to have huge gains and super loud aids if it doesn't provide access to speech?

Having huge gains and super loud aids doesnt mean you will have enough access to speech, even if you think it would give you enough, DD. Not all hearing aids are appropriate for people.
Things have changed a lot since the study was carried out in '89

I like how Jean Boggess said in the research document:

1) It is much more difficult to measure perceived speech than pure tones
2) Speech perception was not measured.
3) Further research is needed to determine the impact of volume on speech perception.

I'm still in 1986. I'm dressed like Madonna and swaying to the music. :laugh2:

I like how Jean Boggess said in the research document:

1) It is much more difficult to measure perceived speech than pure tones
2) Speech perception was not measured.
3) Further research is needed to determine the impact of volume on speech perception.

I don't know if Deafdude just doesn't read those facts, or if he just doesn't care.

HE posted the thing, and it makes OUR points!!

I told you that I was rocking to Weird Al while you were in diapers. :laugh2:

Did you do the study? Is that why we would ask you questions instead of actual professionals?
Plus, 1989? Really? That was the best you could find? How is it possibly relevant today?

Ask anyone questions. The professionals in that article demonstrated that sufficient gains is required in order to get to the speech banana. They showed that most with severe hearing loss got some benefits from HAs but that most with profound losses could not get into the speech banana. This was true in 1989, but today HAs can dish out 70db gain so even someone with 100db HL can easily get into the speech banana.

Ask anyone questions. The professionals in that article demonstrated that sufficient gains is required in order to get to the speech banana. They showed that most with severe hearing loss got some benefits from HAs but that most with profound losses could not get into the speech banana. This was true in 1989, but today HAs can dish out 70db gain so even someone with 100db HL can easily get into the speech banana.

Well, excepting people like me who miss a lot of sounds due to chewed up auditory nerves. I just hear louder jumbles.

But a CI would not help me either.

Those that think the old study has no value may be forgetting it is important to learn from the past.

And now Deafdude won't reply because he sees how ridiculous the post was.

Sometimes it is hard to believe you are the parent of one of us.

You probably would not take it kindly if someone showed your child such disrespect.

Back