10 year top that will cure deaf to be hearing

I really have no desire to become hearing again. In fact, I have a strong desire to remain deaf. However, if a cover-all-ends cure for deafness sweeps the deaf community out of existence, I would be forced to follow suit and accept the cure for the sake of my own success in life.

However, I don't know what the cure could possibly be. The most inclusive "cure" I've ever heard of would be an auditory nerve implant, which requires a functional auditory nerve. This would bypass every problem there could possibly be with the ears, and would provide flawless, natural hearing that will eventually be developed to be invisible, hidden deep inside the ear canal with never a need to change batteries. However, this will not cure those of us who have auditory nerve damage. We would be scattered and alone after I would guess about 95% of the deaf community has been assimilated by the hearing medical community's "cure."

When last I heard, 10 years would seem to be the approximate timeframe for the completion of the human testing phase and putting it out onto the general American market. I haven't read very much about their progress recently, though, especially since I found out that I wouldn't be a candidate. But it worries me that they will destroy a culture that is older than any human alive today, along with its language, and would disburse my only hope for a community with which I can associate, and result in the elimination of all remaining support for deaf needs, along with any hope of ever getting it back.

As a result, if a new cure were to be offered to me that would cure my deafness, in the shadow of the demolition of Deaf culture and the Deaf world, I would be forced to accept it and become a refugee in the hearing world. I wouldn't gripe or fuss about it because it wouldn't do a darn bit of good.

While we're at it, thought, I'm curious. Why don't we work on a cure for the empathically and telepathically impaired, and one for those of us who have no ultra-red, EM charge, and heat-sensing vision? Surely, that would make us more efficient and productive, and would reduce the need for the government to provide a lot of protection services. They wouldn't even need to provide free council or assemble a jury because the judge would be able to read our minds.

I really have no desire to become hearing again. In fact, I have a strong desire to remain deaf. However, if a cover-all-ends cure for deafness sweeps the deaf community out of existence, I would be forced to follow suit and accept the cure for the sake of my own success in life.

However, I don't know what the cure could possibly be. The most inclusive "cure" I've ever heard of would be an auditory nerve implant, which requires a functional auditory nerve. This would bypass every problem there could possibly be with the ears, and would provide flawless, natural hearing that will eventually be developed to be invisible, hidden deep inside the ear canal with never a need to change batteries. However, this will not cure those of us who have auditory nerve damage. We would be scattered and alone after I would guess about 95% of the deaf community has been assimilated by the hearing medical community's "cure."

When last I heard, 10 years would seem to be the approximate timeframe for the completion of the human testing phase and putting it out onto the general American market. I haven't read very much about their progress recently, though, especially since I found out that I wouldn't be a candidate. But it worries me that they will destroy a culture that is older than any human alive today, along with its language, and would disburse my only hope for a community with which I can associate, and result in the elimination of all remaining support for deaf needs, along with any hope of ever getting it back.

As a result, if a new cure were to be offered to me that would cure my deafness, in the shadow of the demolition of Deaf culture and the Deaf world, I would be forced to accept it and become a refugee in the hearing world. I wouldn't gripe or fuss about it because it wouldn't do a darn bit of good.

While we're at it, thought, I'm curious. Why don't we work on a cure for the empathically and telepathically impaired, and one for those of us who have no ultra-red, EM charge, and heat-sensing vision? Surely, that would make us more efficient and productive, and would reduce the need for the government to provide a lot of protection services. They wouldn't even need to provide free council or assemble a jury because the judge would be able to read our minds.

I am in the same boat as your are. If a cure demolishes the Deaf community, ASL, and any services for the deaf, then I wil relunctantly accept it and become a hearing shadow of myself. LOL

I can imagine that it is scary to think what our future world would be like when that happen. Maybe we would go underground and hide from the hearing world so that we don't get force to be implant. :hmm:

I can imagine that it is scary to think what our future world would be like when that happen. Maybe we would go underground and hide from the hearing world so that we don't get force to be implant. :hmm:

:bowlol:

That would be fun actually. Urban underground guerilla deaf. We could have night raids on the outside world for food and other necessities until we could produce all we need underground.

And when it happens, I inform you all in advance that I have spoken for my code name, and it is "Elf!"

That would be fun actually. Urban underground guerilla deaf. We could have night raids on the outside world for food and other necessities until we could produce all we need underground.

And when it happens, I inform you all in advance that I have spoken for my code name, and it is "Elf!"

My husband is military..he can assist us! :giggle:

I'll be in charge of the crossbows!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh, it is hilarious to think we can make a plan to go underground and have ourselves a Deaf Militants or Hearing Aids and Handcuffs. I was just joking and that it was just a dream to think about. I did not mean to go that far. Right, Shel? :roll:

If we had a cure, and we refused it, people would consider us to be mentally sick and refusing psychiatric counseling. Because of that, we would be denied jobs, education, captioned entertainment, because the fact that we are unable to hear just as well as everybody else would be our fault for denying treatment.

When I was younger, I used to watch shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone. That is what this prospect reminds me of. We either assimilate or we become outcasts. But can you imagine the reaction the hearing world would have if we protested this? Unfortunately, there are obviously a lot of people who would actually want the treatment, so we have no right to deny them it. It's an ethical decision. Do I fight to protect my own culture and way of life at the expense of holding others captive and denying their treatment, or do I stay quiet and let them go at the expense of my culture and way of life, and becoming their captives because there won't be enough of us left to sustain a deaf working class in the hearing world.

I don't think they'll hold us down and force us to undergo the procedure, but we will be pressured to accept the procedure in order to remain viable working citizens.

In a way, I feel like I'm deciding to join the enemy and accept their rule and their culture and their way of life in exchange for equal rights between myself and them. I call them the enemy because they threaten to destroy my culture and make my language obsolete. I cannot fight them because they come to rescue the people among us who want to join them, and I have no right or desire to hold anybody against their will. I feel like I can understand the dilemma of the Indians did in the days when the American West was being colonised. The hearing world isn't coming to slaughter us, but to assimilate us.

If anybody still wants to build that Deaf City, now's the time. We could use it as a reservation for the few of us who will want to resist. Maybe we could even get Gallaudet to relocate there. Failing that, I suppose we could make the campus a museum of Deaf culture. We could move to Washington DC and get jobs there as exhibits. Maybe they'd even let us have one of the floors in a dorm, and we could live there rent-free! Two to a cell .. er .. room! Tourists could come look at our rooms every day and see how deaf on-campus resident students used to live.

I'll shut up now. Did anybody read all that? LOL! Didn't mean to take up all your time!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh, it is hilarious to think we can make a plan to go underground and have ourselves a Deaf Militants or Hearing Aids and Handcuffs. I was just joking and that it was just a dream to think about. I did not mean to go that far. Right, Shel? :roll:
Don't back out now! You have united us!:laugh2:

If we had a cure, and we refused it, people would consider us to be mentally sick and refusing psychiatric counseling. Because of that, we would be denied jobs, education, captioned entertainment, because the fact that we are unable to hear just as well as everybody else would be our fault for denying treatment.

When I was younger, I used to watch shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone. That is what this prospect reminds me of. We either assimilate or we become outcasts. But can you imagine the reaction the hearing world would have if we protested this? Unfortunately, there are obviously a lot of people who would actually want the treatment, so we have no right to deny them it. It's an ethical decision. Do I fight to protect my own culture and way of life at the expense of holding others captive and denying their treatment, or do I stay quiet and let them go at the expense of my culture and way of life, and becoming their captives because there won't be enough of us left to sustain a deaf working class in the hearing world.

I don't think they'll hold us down and force us to undergo the procedure, but we will be pressured to accept the procedure in order to remain viable working citizens.

In a way, I feel like I'm deciding to join the enemy and accept their rule and their culture and their way of life in exchange for equal rights between myself and them. I call them the enemy because they threaten to destroy my culture and make my language obsolete. I cannot fight them because they come to rescue the people among us who want to join them, and I have no right or desire to hold anybody against their will. I feel like I can understand the dilemma of the Indians did in the days when the American West was being colonised. The hearing world isn't coming to slaughter us, but to assimilate us.

If anybody still wants to build that Deaf City, now's the time. We could use it as a reservation for the few of us who will want to resist. Maybe we could even get Gallaudet to relocate there. Failing that, I suppose we could make the campus a museum of Deaf culture. We could move to Washington DC and get jobs there as exhibits. Maybe they'd even let us have one of the floors in a dorm, and we could live there rent-free! Two to a cell .. er .. room! Tourists could come look at our rooms every day and see how deaf on-campus resident students used to live.

I'll shut up now. Did anybody read all that? LOL! Didn't mean to take up all your time!

No way, Minty! We are going to be a wild and free resistance!

Of course not..I would miss the beach and the sun too much to go underground. LOL!

Haha, I didn't know you guys were writing all that stuff while I was rambling on that post I just made. That militant underground deaf thing sounds like an even better movie plot! HEYYYY!!!!! Let's make a movie about it! We need an awesome producer and a perfectionist director so people will take it seriously though. Probably cost about 140k USD tho :roll:

Back