"You're not deaf"

Its ok, no offense taken. I grew up mainstreamed, oralized (is that even a word??).

Besides, I think ASL is a pretty useful tool to communicate, hearing or not, plus its fun, hehe.

I think how deaf you are depends not just on your ears, but also on the situation.

Because my hearing loss is mild, BUT in a place with background noise or several people talking at once, I might as well have a severe hearing loss.

Surely it depends on the situation at least a little bit?

I think other people can MAKE you deafer as well, but preventing you from lipreading properly, etc.

Just my little opinion :wave:

Good post mate - situations really do make a difference. Like you if there is a lot of background noise or if there are alot of people I might as well be less hearing than I already am.

Yes, why are people so damn obessed with dcB numbers? You can be Deaf but have a perfect audiogram. Some people who have other disabilites use Sign as a first language. Besides the people who are so obessed with audiogram readings are hearing people. I'm hoh, but I'm more visual then a hearing person ever could be. Despite what some people think and say, hoh folks aren't more hearing then deaf.

:gpost: *applauds*

I felt like I wanted to commit suicide when I was in Seattle, Washington...
in January...
My sister had no computer, internet or anything... so I can make a relay call.
My sister and I were yelling each other... we couldn't get along that day.

And I wanted to go back to Memphis... and I tried to call on the phone...
it didn't have any volume for me to turn up so I can hear well...
And when I called anyway to change my plane reservation...
the machine kept saying, say 1 for if you have reservation, say 2 for if you
have no reservation.
So I said 1. Machine didn't understand what I was saying.
I had to say 1 many times... and finally Machine said, "Sorry I can't read that, Please wait for representive who can help you".
The representive can't understand what I was saying and I tried and tried to
pronouce words correctly but I couldn't.
She placed me on hold and told me she got somebody to help me.
And so he helped me.... and I spoke, he understood me somewhat...

And then other times, I called relay... and people hang up on relay calls.

And I got frustated so I decided to use my voice...
I called and UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A foreigner picked up the phone. Ugh.

I could not understand what he said.... and I told him to slow down
when speaking English... cause I can't hear well.

So he spoke slow... and I tried to tell him my name... he didn't understand.

He told me spell my name.... and I did... and he doesn't understand me....

So I got pissed off, and got up and told my mom to come talk to this man...

And my mom said... "What? Don't you see me watching my Soap Opera???"

I got so sad.... I argued with her to come on and answer the phone.

And she finally picked up the phone, and she asked, "Hello? Hello? Hello?"
and then told me, "I think he hung up."

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really really really wanted to kill myself on that day....
I cried... I was so mad.

So I called back.... and got an ATTITUDE....

I yelled at the caller on the phone....

It wasn't the same caller.... I apologized to that caller and
she took her time to help me out....

And when she emailed me a survey... I gave her EXCELLENT REPORT on
her for helping me.

You have a right to vend your frustrated experiences on the forum just like everyone who feel like getting angry about what is happening to you. You have to understand that we all go through that and we get frustrated all the time when we can not get anyone to help us make the phone call or have someone to interpret from sign lanugage to spoken english. It was and still is a trying time for all of us deaf people depend on hearing people to help us. To me it really not funny, all forum members please apologize her as she is going through getting all the frustration out of her system. I hope she is feeling better now. :ty:

by the time i was at the end of the blog... well i forgot what the blog was about... interesting..anyway, okay...how Deaf is Deaf???

I am learning in my Deaf culture class that there are several areas of Deaf and you are only core Deaf if you meet a certain criteria..otherwise you exist somewhere outside the core of the culture.. Mind you, i started ASL to learn to communicate with others that are similiar to me..which is difficult once you begin experiencin the Deaf Pride and different issues within the culture.. i get different reactions from Deaf community depending on event and person.. i don't know...what is Deaf.... why do all the ASL and Deaf culture classes reinforce the Deaf Pride to the degree that they teach in Deaf Culture that all attempts to find other sort of language other then ASL is attempt to weaken and destroy the pure Deaf Language... that says a lot about who is Deaf and not Deaf to me...because I NEED PSE.. i must have simmcomm in order to learn..but my teacher who is prominent Deaf person... worries more about how my terp sign to me... true ASL..rather then consider that it is the only way I can understand what is happening in that classroom...

i don't know.. i really don't

Back