Your opinion for teenager who goes to college?

In that case, I wouldn't mind adding a class in general safety designed to prepare students for the more dangerous classes and workplaces. Some programs preparing students for these kind of workplaces might love the option of adding this class to their course requirements (auto mechanics, welding, electrical engineering, etcetera). It probably doesn't have to be more than a 1 hour class. It could serve as a prerequisite to those classes. To me, my life is worth it. Of course, students can have the option to test out of this class. :)

That is actually an excellent idea.

That is actually an excellent idea.

Really?! Cool, I don't have those very often :giggle:

Now there's convincing program heads. That won't be easy. I've met many of them. They're usually 7 and a half feet tall, 600 pounds, dressed in greasy custom coveralls and leather sleeves to cover all their tattoos of fire-breathing dragons and demons riding motorcycles, big booming voice, dominating personality, opinionated, a stack of smartass come-backs waiting on the tip of their tongue, and are the "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire" type of people :)

Of course, I'm describing one specific program head, but if anybody's reading this and it describes you, it's purely coincidental
angel.gif

Really?! Cool, I don't have those very often :giggle:

Now there's convincing program heads. That won't be easy. I've met many of them. They're usually 7 and a half feet tall, 600 pounds, dressed in greasy custom coveralls and leather sleeves to cover all their tattoos of fire-breathing dragons and demons riding motorcycles, big booming voice, dominating personality, opinionated, a stack of smartass come-backs waiting on the tip of their tongue, and are the "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the fire" type of people :)

Of course, I'm describing one specific program head, but if anybody's reading this and it describes you, it's purely coincidental
angel.gif

:laugh2:

Great idea, Mints, about classroom safety.

I am concerned about the teenagers' personal safety in an adult environment, though, especially when it comes to young girls. How does this work?

As a high school student, I did take some community college courses. I had a horny male interpreter at the college hitting on me and wasn't aware I was 16 years old at that time.. *rolls eyes. High school students can take community college courses. My mom has very strong opinions toward the educational system and thinks that students should graduate high school when they turn 16.

Great idea, Mints, about classroom safety.

I am concerned about the teenagers' personal safety in an adult environment, though, especially when it comes to young girls. How does this work?

The rules and laws governing college students in terms of sexual harassment are adequate for all ages in my opinion. If any student is being mistreated, they need to know that they need to seek help.

I was a legal independent adult when I first started college, so I have no idea what other safety issues are considered, such as waivers that under aged students need to have their parents sign or whatever. Maybe I'm not even understanding your concern.

The rules and laws governing college students in terms of sexual harassment are adequate for all ages in my opinion. If any student is being mistreated, they need to know that they need to seek help.

I was a legal independent adult when I first started college, so I have no idea what other safety issues are considered, such as waivers that under aged students need to have their parents sign or whatever. Maybe I'm not even understanding your concern.

I think she is referring to things like this:

We require that all psychology 101 students participate in 3 experiments that are conducted through out the quarter in the psych lab. It is a requirement of the course designed to provide them with a basic knowledge of research, and to provide a convenience population for upper classmen that are actually conducting research. We have a release that the students must sign. If there is a PSO student in the class, we cannot allow them to participate if they are not 18, because they cannot legally sign the release. Parents cannot sign for them in this situation. Because someone under the age of 18 cannot, legally, provide informed consent, they cannot be permitted to participate in the experiments. The professors come up with an alternate assignment in these cases.

You cannot against on the age who are quality brainy. It's like you're against on black who cannot go college. Oh! You're deaf, you shouldn't go college. :giggle:

I'm not against age with quality brainy. Sure, teenager with genius mind can go to college.

oh, yeah Ddeaf/Hhoh can always go to college but teenager 14-15 yrs old in college okey-dokey.

Some kids can step right off the high school graduation platform into university and know exactly what they're gonna take, graduate, and go on to be those people for a major portion of their lives. In my opinion, those people are lucky. Oh I thought I knew what I wanted to be, but I got a few quarters into it and realised I'd been misinformed as to what that career would be like. Unable to find adequate guidance, I took numerous stabs in the dark, changing my degree every few quarters. I still don't know what I want to be. But my point is, I didn't even have a decent grasp on what career options I had until I was in my mid-twenties.

Some kids can step right off the high school graduation platform into university and know exactly what they're gonna take, graduate, and go on to be those people for a major portion of their lives. In my opinion, those people are lucky. Oh I thought I knew what I wanted to be, but I got a few quarters into it and realised I'd been misinformed as to what that career would be like. Unable to find adequate guidance, I took numerous stabs in the dark, changing my degree every few quarters. I still don't know what I want to be. But my point is, I didn't even have a decent grasp on what career options I had until I was in my mid-twenties.

They aren't only lucky, they are few and far between.:giggle:

Colleges are all seeing an increase in non-traditional students who have returned after several years in the career they thought was what they wanted, only to find that, after they had worked in that field for a while, and their values changed with a little maturity, what they thought they wanted wasn't satisfactory any longer.

They aren't only lucky, they are few and far between.:giggle:

Colleges are all seeing an increase in non-traditional students who have returned after several years in the career they thought was what they wanted, only to find that, after they had worked in that field for a while, and their values changed with a little maturity, what they thought they wanted wasn't satisfactory any longer.

They probably count me as one of those returning students .. except I never finished any degrees :roll: I'm starting to wonder if I should just pick up my first field (architectural engineering) and tweak it a bit and just be an AutoCAD tech. I wonder if I'm creative enough for that. I promised my friend when she died that I'd be a pharmacist in her place, because she was taking pharmacy. But I failed to consider that I'd be deaf before I finished school. I've got this conflict going on inside of me, and I don't know what to do. It feels like a promise to the dead is unbreakable, but I don't wanna fight that hard to make a living just so I can be a deaf pharmacist.

Sorry if I've slipped the topic a bit ^^

They probably count me as one of those returning students .. except I never finished any degrees :roll: I'm starting to wonder if I should just pick up my first field (architectural engineering) and tweak it a bit and just be an AutoCAD tech. I wonder if I'm creative enough for that. I promised my friend when she died that I'd be a pharmacist in her place, because she was taking pharmacy. But I failed to consider that I'd be deaf before I finished school. I've got this conflict going on inside of me, and I don't know what to do. It feels like a promise to the dead is unbreakable, but I don't wanna fight that hard to make a living just so I can be a deaf pharmacist.

Sorry if I've slipped the topic a bit ^^

A promise to a dead friend is certainly not taken lightly, but you cannot base your career choice on what someone else wants you to do. Many people make that mistake, and then end up doing something they hate. I would advise you to follow your heart on a career choice. I'm sure your friend would understand if you could not keep your promise. I doubt that she would want you to sacrifice your happiness and satisfaction just to keep the promise.

It depends I guess. I'm 17 and in college, and I barely notice the age differences. 14 or 15 though... hmm I guess it depends on how mature they are.

Back