Young dancer wins ‘Nutcracker’ role despite hearing impairement

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
Young dancer wins ‘Nutcracker’ role despite hearing impairment - KansasCity.com

The Kansas City Ballet’s performance of “The Nutcracker” always provides plenty of holiday fantasy. But one little angel is giving this year’s production a special magic.

You can see “The Nutcracker” and a ballerina who has overcome amazing odds at 1 and 5 p.m. today or at any of the other 13 performances through Christmas Eve at the Music Hall, 301 W. 13th St.

You’d never know it to watch her dancing to Tchaikovsky’s intricate score, but 9-year-old Gracie Hooks, who plays one of the angels, was born deaf.

“She’s profoundly deaf,” said her mother, Lauren Hooks. “But with Cochlear implants, she can hear like someone with a mild hearing impediment.”

Hooks and her husband, who are both full-time ministers at the Kansas City Church of Christ in Lenexa, discovered their daughter was deaf when she was very young.

“She was only 18 months old,” Hooks said. “By the time she was 2, she got her first Cochlear implant. With Cochlear implants, she has a different life than she would have otherwise. It’s allowed her natural talent for dance to come out.”

The electronic device has given a sense of sound to thousands of deaf children and adults, but the implant does not perfectly restore hearing. Recipients, especially children who have not yet learned language skills, must undergo extensive training to understand words and how to say them.

“Gracie attended the St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf in Lenexa, where they focus on teaching the deaf how to speak and listen,” Hooks said. “She would not be where she is today without that school.”

Ramona Pansegrau, music director for the Kansas City Ballet, has experience working with deaf dancers.

“When I was in Tulsa, we did outreach with one particular school that had four deaf children,” she said. “I set up a whole system with our tech guy that used a portable battery with different colored blinking lights to indicate different beats. But with Cochlear implants, Gracie doesn’t need that.”

Dancing in “The Nutcracker” is a dream come true for Gracie.

“It’s been a great experience,” she said. “When I was little, I saw it with my whole family. I was scared, but I don’t know why. I guess it was all the fighting between the Nutcracker and the Mouse King.”

Now she loves the holiday classic and, from all reports, is doing a stellar job.

“She’s doing great,” Pansegrau said. “You can’t tell any difference between Gracie and the other young dancers.”

Her mother is also pleased with her “Nutcracker” experience.

“The people at the ballet say she listens very well, and that makes us so proud,” she said.

Hooks, who says it was her daughter’s idea to audition for “The Nutcracker,” sees ballet in Gracie’s future.

“She’s athletically gifted and slim, but she’s got these legs. Even when she comes home from rehearsal, she’s still dancing. At home she tries to do what the big dancers do, spinning and jumping high. She’s a motivated little girl. I definitely think she’ll be doing this for a long time.”

It is not about her at all. It is the writer that write the article that make me say "Yeah, right!" that she listens very well. And also another statement saying "Gracie attended the St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf in Lenexa, where they focus on teaching the deaf to speak and listen," Hooks (her mother) said. "She would not be where she is today without that school." :roll:

It is not about her at all. It is the writer that write the article that make me say "Yeah, right!" that she listens very well. And also another statement saying "Gracie attended the St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf in Lenexa, where they focus on teaching the deaf to speak and listen," Hooks (her mother) said. "She would not be where she is today without that school." :roll:

Why do you take a nice story about a child and turn it into a fight about your hate for CIs and all things related to spoken language?

Big whoop, I was a professional ballet dancer with limited hearing until it went gone but I don't see any articles about people like me ( I danced for several companies in Texas, California, and Georgia) You don't need to hear music you can feel the beat and if you watch you can follow the cues for movement...Or am I just sounding bitter because no one seemed to care when I was dancing? Or that I worked in the OR as an RN despite having no hearing? Guess I am just bitter....

Big whoop, I was a professional ballet dancer with limited hearing until it went gone but I don't see any articles about people like me ( I danced for several companies in Texas, California, and Georgia) You don't need to hear music you can feel the beat and if you watch you can follow the cues for movement...Or am I just sounding bitter because no one seemed to care when I was dancing? Or that I worked in the OR as an RN despite having no hearing? Guess I am just bitter....

That is exactly what I meant. If you can feel the vibrations and watch the other dancers plus doing the counting to be ready to dance (like it is your turn to dance). Dancing in a ballet professional company is a big challenge and it is worth every minutes of being a successful professional dancer. I was in the Ballet classes and also into the Master classes. I tried to entered for audition for a professional ballet company many years ago when I was young, but the teacher told me I was not ready and must keep on dancing in classes. Then I had to quit dancing at 20 years old as I had to start working as a Keypunch operator for a University college. I am very happy that you are involved in the professional company which I was turned down.

On the article, it is always have to be CIs or hearing aids in order to listen to the music. Being deaf is not the end of the world and I wish that hearing professional people would just let us do what we can do without being discriminate that we can not do without CI or hearing aids. I had hearing aid, but I could not hear that well, either. I really rely on vibrations and watching other dancers to know where I will start plus to dance with them. Dancing is a challenge to me and love it every minutes being in Ballet classes. Now everything is gone and I am getting too old to dance anymore.

Back