"You can exist without hearing, but to have a life, you need to hear."

The article reminded me so much of an article I read several years ago about a child with Cerebral Palsy having a procedure called a "Selective Dorsal Rhisotomy", and how the parent was quoted as saying that she hoped the procedure would "fix" her child so he would be able to walk.

Now, my son had this very procedure when he was three, not to make him walk, but to reverse or at least slow some complications that he was starting to experience as a result of his CP, and it is a procedure that comes with great risks and possibilities of serious complications.

For me, as a mom, to read that another mom thought her child needed "Fixing" and that walking would be the best thing that could ever happen to him just broke my heart...I wrote a letter to the magazine that published the article, telling them how saddened I was that this boys mom viewed him as "less than" merely because he could not walk, and that I just prayed that her child never ever heard how he had needed to be "fixed". Her child wasn't broken... why would he need fixing???:pissed:

I feel the same way about this article...it saddens me to no end that anyone would say that "You can exist without hearing, but to have a life, you need to hear,"... The Deaf people I know live full lives, and do so much more than merely "exist"...this audist propaganda is just disgusting. :pissed:

What's the purpose of the Selective Dorsal Rhisotomy operation?

I assume it's to help counter some of the complications that goes with CP?

As this article indicates, Some people just never see past the disablities that some people have. As young as your son is, he prolly has an inkling of that already.

As this article indicates, Some people just never see past the disablities that some people have. As young as your son is, he prolly has an inkling of that already.

FONT SIZE About Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR)

Introduction to SDR

Of all the surgical procedures currently performed on patients with cerebral palsy, selective dorsal rhizotomy (SDR) has undergone more thorough scientific scrutiny than any other (including orthopaedic). Accumulated evidence and our own experience indicate that SDR is an excellent option for selected patients with spastic CP. We believe parents and patients should inquire about SDR as a part of the management of CP before the patient undergoes orthopedic surgery.

Outline of the SDR procedure

SDR involves sectioning (cutting) of some of the sensory nerve fibers that come from the muscles and enter the spinal cord.

Two groups of nerve roots leave the spinal cord and lie in the spinal canal. The ventral spinal roots send information to the muscle; the dorsal spinal roots transmit sensation from the muscle to the spinal cord.
At the time of the operation, the neurosurgeon divides each of the dorsal roots into 3-5 rootlets and stimulates each rootlet electrically. By examining electromyographic (EMG) responses from muscles in the lower extremities, the surgical team identifies the rootlets that cause spasticity. The abnormal rootlets are selectively cut, leaving the normal rootlets intact.This reduces messages from the muscle, resulting in a better balance of activities of nerve cells in the spinal cord, and thus reduces spasticity.
Details of our SDR procedure

Different surgical techniques are utilized to perform SDR. Neurosurgeons typically perform SDR after removing the lamina ( laminectomy ) from 5-7 vertebrae. That technique was also used at our Center to perform SDR on over 140 children with CP. However, we were concerned about possible problems that can arise from removal of such a large amount of bone from the spine. Additionally, because of the extensive removal of the bone, we could not offer SDR to children with weak trunk muscles or to adults.

In 1991, we developed a less invasive surgical technique, which requires removal of the lamina from only 1-2 vertebrae. We refined the technique further and currently remove the lamina from a single lumbar vertebra (Figure A&B).

SDR begins with a 1- to 2-inch incision along the center of the lower back just above the waist. The spinous processes and a portion of the lamina are removed to expose the spinal cord and spinal nerves. Ultrasound and an x-ray locate the tip of the spinal cord, where there is a natural separation between sensory and motor nerves. A rubber pad is placed to separate the motor from the sensory nerves. The sensory nerve roots that will be tested and cut are placed on top of the pad and the motor nerves beneath the pad, away from the operative field.

After the sensory nerves are exposed, each sensory nerve root is divided into 3-5 rootlets. Each rootlet is tested with EMG, which records electrical patterns in muscles. Rootlets are ranked from 1 (mild) to 4 (severe) for spasticity. The severely abnormal rootlets are cut. This technique is repeated for rootlets between spinal nerves L2 and S2. Half of the L1 dorsal root fibers are cut without EMG testing.

When testing and cutting are complete, the dura mater is closed, and fentanyl is given to bathe the sensory nerves directly. The other layers of tissue, muscle, fascia, and subcutaneous tissue are sewn. The skin is closed with glue. There are no stitches to be removed from the back. Surgery takes approximately 4 hours. The patient goes to the recovery room for 1-2 hours before being transferred to the intensive care unit overnight.

Advantages of our technique over other techniques for SDR

We believe that our SDR procedure has these significant advantages over others:

Reduced risk of spinal deformities in later years
Decreased post-rhizotomy motor weakness
Reduced hip flexor spasticity by sectioning the first lumbar dorsal root
Shorter-term, less intense back pain
Earlier resumption of vigorous physical therapy
Possible complications

The dorsal rhizotomy is a long and complex neurosurgical procedure. As in other major neurosurgical procedures, it presents some risks. Paralysis of the legs and bladder, impotence, and sensory loss are the most serious complications. Wound infection and meningitis are also possible, but they are usually controlled with antibiotics. Leakage of the spinal fluid through the wound is another risk.

Abnormal sensitivity of the skin on the feet and legs is relatively common after SDR, but usually resolves within 6 weeks. There is no way to prevent the abnormal sensitivity in the feet. Transient change in bladder control may occur, but this also resolves within a few weeks. A few of our patients have experienced urinary tract infections and pneumonia.

About Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR) - St. Louis Children's Hospital

That's actually a pretty interesting surgery.

And why would you put a dead rooster on a person's door/? Is that some kind of witch craft! I would rather have a dead chicken at least I could made nice Kosher chicken soup!

Nope. Chicken was killed the wrong way to be Kosher.:giggle:

Back to topic now.:P

The article reminded me so much of an article I read several years ago about a child with Cerebral Palsy having a procedure called a "Selective Dorsal Rhisotomy", and how the parent was quoted as saying that she hoped the procedure would "fix" her child so he would be able to walk.

Now, my son had this very procedure when he was three, not to make him walk, but to reverse or at least slow some complications that he was starting to experience as a result of his CP, and it is a procedure that comes with great risks and possibilities of serious complications.

For me, as a mom, to read that another mom thought her child needed "Fixing" and that walking would be the best thing that could ever happen to him just broke my heart...I wrote a letter to the magazine that published the article, telling them how saddened I was that this boys mom viewed him as "less than" merely because he could not walk, and that I just prayed that her child never ever heard how he had needed to be "fixed". Her child wasn't broken... why would he need fixing???:pissed:
I feel the same way about this article...it saddens me to no end that anyone would say that "You can exist without hearing, but to have a life, you need to hear,"... The Deaf people I know live full lives, and do so much more than merely "exist"...this audist propaganda is just disgusting. :pissed:

Kudos to you chipmunks! We will never get rid of these hurtful attitudes until we start to speak out each time we encounter them. Advocate on!

The purpose of the surgery is SUPPOSED to be to lessen some of the problems that often go hand-in-hand with CP, such as increasing spasticity, pain due to contractures of muscles, deformities/ malformations of joints, etc. It is, as the article Bottesini posted states, a long and painful surgery,with serious potential risks. The surgery should typically take 4-5 hours...my sons took almost 7.

He later developed post-operative meningitis, and we almost lost him yet again, so to hear a woman wanting her child to have this surgery in order to "fix" him REALLY upset me.

I am just tired of people thinking that we need to "fix" differences, rather than accept and embrace them. I think our differences are what make our world such a wonderful place.

:gpost:

The only thing I would add is that PARENTS are the ones that helps foster a kids' self esteem. If the parent isn't promoting a strong sense of self in that child, a device sure as Hell won't do it for them!

^^^^^^ Yeah that!!

The purpose of the surgery is SUPPOSED to be to lessen some of the problems that often go hand-in-hand with CP, such as increasing spasticity, pain due to contractures of muscles, deformities/ malformations of joints, etc. It is, as the article Bottesini posted states, a long and painful surgery,with serious potential risks. The surgery should typically take 4-5 hours...my sons took almost 7.

He later developed post-operative meningitis, and we almost lost him yet again, so to hear a woman wanting her child to have this surgery in order to "fix" him REALLY upset me.

I am just tired of people thinking that we need to "fix" differences, rather than accept and embrace them. I think our differences are what make our world such a wonderful place.

Wow. No wonder that woman upset you. :hug:

Wow. No wonder that woman upset you. :hug:

Thanks. I had the exact same "gut" reaction when I read the "You can exist without hearing, but to have a life, you need to hear." WHEN will people learn that life is NOT about whether you can walk, or hear, or see, or whether you are "the same" as another person?? Life is about who you are as a person, the choices you make, the things you do...

Thanks. I had the exact same "gut" reaction when I read the "You can exist without hearing, but to have a life, you need to hear." WHEN will people learn that life is NOT about whether you can walk, or hear, or see, or whether you are "the same" as another person?? Life is about who you are as a person, the choices you make, the things you do...

Some are slow to learn. That is why we have to keep telling them over, and over, and over.... With repetition and luck, we will one day see the light bulb go on.

My son has had a wonderful life without hearing I wish all hearing people would go deaf for a week then they would see what life is all about and maybe change there ignorant ways

Back