Yellow Fog Lamps?

same here. I used fog lamps as i used to drive alot in buffulo at night where it gets foggy alot. those cheap relays and switches that comes with fog lamps are crap and got hot. Attach white to ground and black to power source. If you do it yourself, you can keep it simple, just upgrade the thickness of wire. use 12 gauge instead of those 18 gauge that comes as package. I wouldnt bother with relay- I would connect white wire to frame of your car somewhere and connect red/black to the battery and make sure there is a fuse in the on that power wire . I say screw the switching relay from headlight to the fog only. you can do that yourself with headlight switch by switching to running lamps.
Just be sure you angle the fog lamps down low but goes out about 15 ft from car.

Wonder did you wired the relays or just wired the headlight without relays?

From what I know, HID headlights are illegal to install in most places across the USA. The only legal way to install and use them is for showcasing purposes. For instance, car shows. They aren't approved by the DOT, at least not the last time I checked. So despite all these so-called HID headlight kits you see on eBay and in the stores, they are not to be used for driving on public roads.

People have said that it is also unsafe due to the beam pattern. In a lot of cases, the cars are designed to put out only a certain amount of lumens. HID headlights put out at least twice that. Drivers do not like it when you use them because it's distracting and can interfere with their driving. A lot of people out there are pretty ignorant to the fact that fog lights are to be used for fog-related weather conditions. Other than that, it's not safe to use them. Cars are very specifically designed with safety in mind, but people couldn't care any less.

Wonder did you wired the relays or just wired the headlight without relays?

I wired without relay. just went with 10/2 solid wire and heavy duty switch. if you don't go with thicker wire like 12 or 10 gauge, you NEED the relay with the cheap plastic switches. Its all about resistance in wiring. If you are no sure how to do these things, go with relay since you want to leave all heavy current under the hood for safety. I didnt use relay since I knew the risks and knew what I was doing due to experience and needs.

From what I know, HID headlights are illegal to install in most places across the USA. The only legal way to install and use them is for showcasing purposes. For instance, car shows. They aren't approved by the DOT, at least not the last time I checked. So despite all these so-called HID headlight kits you see on eBay and in the stores, they are not to be used for driving on public roads.

People have said that it is also unsafe due to the beam pattern. In a lot of cases, the cars are designed to put out only a certain amount of lumens. HID headlights put out at least twice that. Drivers do not like it when you use them because it's distracting and can interfere with their driving. A lot of people out there are pretty ignorant to the fact that fog lights are to be used for fog-related weather conditions. Other than that, it's not safe to use them. Cars are very specifically designed with safety in mind, but people couldn't care any less.

True, the only legal way you drive with HID's is if your car came factory with them. Like I wanted to see better, so I spent the money to safely see better. When you put HIDs in halogen housings there will be a lot of glare, but HIDs with projectors are fairly safe. If you look at the pics I posted you will notice a distinctive line where the light cuts off. This is made by a shield inside the projectors called the "cut-off" shield. With projectors you dont have to worry about blinding oncoming drivers because the light will not be pointed at them the same way it is in the average headlight

I wired without relay. just went with 10/2 solid wire and heavy duty switch. if you don't go with thicker wire like 12 or 10 gauge, you NEED the relay with the cheap plastic switches. Its all about resistance in wiring. If you are no sure how to do these things, go with relay since you want to leave all heavy current under the hood for safety. I didnt use relay since I knew the risks and knew what I was doing due to experience and needs.

The reason I asked is you wired the OEM headlight switch without the relays. Now I see a heavy duty switch that you mentioned. Yes, the thick wires will harm the OEM headlight switch cuz of the large electric current flows.

I plan to random some good electric schematic of headlights, power distribution
and interior/exterior lights etc... I can add more relays maybe 10 in the relay boxes in my old classic car to save the OEM switches.

True, the only legal way you drive with HID's is if your car came factory with them. Like I wanted to see better, so I spent the money to safely see better. When you put HIDs in halogen housings there will be a lot of glare, but HIDs with projectors are fairly safe. If you look at the pics I posted you will notice a distinctive line where the light cuts off. This is made by a shield inside the projectors called the "cut-off" shield. With projectors you dont have to worry about blinding oncoming drivers because the light will not be pointed at them the same way it is in the average headlight

Bingo. Unfortunately, not many people realize this before it's too late.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Captivate (i897))

You know what I hate the most than hid lighting? High rider trucks and suvs. They have blinding light shining at me because they ride at higher level. They should adjust it to not blind drivers at night, smh.

your white car is cool .i see the low beam is yellow . right.yellow is the best .
i install 6000K VVME HID lights high beam and 3000k low beam ,it looks so so good on the road.
i just realized the color temp.

Bingo. Unfortunately, not many people realize this before it's too late.

Just try driving anywhere in USA with HID light lit on, wait until cop pulls you over and tell you that HID light are illegal, they'll slap you with warning ticket.

I think that IF you adjust HID foglamp to 25 ft on ground and spread out a bit so It won't blind the driver. OR move HID lamp back 3 or 4 inches that the foglamp holes of the bumper act like "light shield" that limit exposure. What I do is to park my truck or motorcycle on straight flat road and walk 25 to 30 feet and squat down pretending I'm at small car driver position. If it don't blind you then it's good, If it blinds you, go back and adjust the beam till it don't blind you. I would make sure that beam 25 feet from origin point don't glare if you duck down bit further down pretending that you were reaching something from glovebox or picking up dropped item from car floor. Upper portion of beam have to hit middle or bit lower-middle grille of the car. Also if you were driving in fog, you would not want it too much reflections that can 'blind" you in fog day or night..

20 years ago, I bought and installed Neon license plate light back of my 1990 Mazda 323. When I drove on I-35 and Highway Patrol pulled me over and told me that Neon License plate is illegal except for parking. I asked him why Western Auto sells them and I though it was legal. He said reason for illegal because it blinds you if you tried to write license plate number down. That's the purpose that criminal use to get away. AAHH!! make sense to me so I went home and removed the Neon license plate and returned it to store and told them it's Illegal here in KS. Salesperson accept that and got $$$ back.

Here in Kansas, it is illegal for anyone to use more than 55 Watt lamp in Foglamp. If anyone use 100 Watt bulb (either incandescent or Xeon or HID), Cop will ticket you cuz it's way too bright. I would just put 100 Watt bulbs in and wait until Cops pull me over otherwise they would not pay attention to that if I drove past by them if foglamps are properly positioned and adjusted :giggle:

It would be very neat to use foglamps and drive through downpour at night during late Spring or early Summer night near the creek or lake, you'll see frogs jumping across the road like a Frogger game (squish squish) :rofl: I caught many frogs as much as I can hold and I even caught big frogs which is good for Mark Twain Frog race :lol:

Catty

Why do people use fog lights when there's no fog? It doesn't improve your visibility, in fact, it makes it worse.

Why do people use fog lights when there's no fog? It doesn't improve your visibility, in fact, it makes it worse.

You know nothing about San Francisco's weather, always foggy in the am/pm.

You know nothing about San Francisco's weather, always foggy in the am/pm.

Is it foggy everywhere else in the world at all times? Besides, I said... "Why do people use fog lights when there is no fog?".

I have factory, yellow, running lights on my Ridgeline which are OK. Years ago, I knew a guy who installed fogs behind the grill of his 80's Lincoln, they looked really cool.

I'm for it, but you need to look at the position of the lights. If you like that look, in that position, get them. Otherwise, they might come off as cheap modification. Think about what you are trying to present, custom or factory modified because in the end, you have to be happy with it.

I have factory, yellow, running lights on my Ridgeline which are OK. Years ago, I knew a guy who installed fogs behind the grill of his 80's Lincoln, they looked really cool.

I'm for it, but you need to look at the position of the lights. If you like that look, in that position, get them. Otherwise, they might come off as cheap modification. Think about what you are trying to present, custom or factory modified because in the end, you have to be happy with it.

They are yellow because they're supposed to be. The factory lights are often not white since it is actually all colours in one, which is what you don't want. It has to be on a wavelength. The yellow colour takes away the blue light emitted by the white bulbs.

Is it foggy everywhere else in the world at all times? Besides, I said... "Why do people use fog lights when there is no fog?".

When there's NO Fog out......

1. See much better at night that foglights spread wider, not further to be able to see Deers or people on side of Highway. This will give you head ups before you hit them.. Safety!!

2. Make SUV or Truck looks "meaner" with Foglamp and scares little car driver (especially Smart car driver) if close to back of little cars. :twisted::naughty:

3. Be able to avoid "froggers" on road during heavy downpour at night if you don't want to squish it. Even Crawdad crossing over road too!! :giggle: (I mean frogs seriously!!)

4. Help you be able to spot shiny objects on road that might have been gold coins or quarters much needed change for your McDonald's :giggle:

5. Be able to navigate better offroad in dark campground road or rural road (seriously, it does helps BIG time!!)

Only TWO reasons are valid, you figure out!!

Why don't any of you who have Foglamps and try toggle on/ off to see the difference if you want to know why using Foglamps are useful during FogLESS night.

Catty

When there's NO Fog out......

1. See much better at night that foglights spread wider, not further to be able to see Deers or people on side of Highway. This will give you head ups before you hit them.. Safety!!

5. Be able to navigate better offroad in dark campground road or rural road (seriously, it does helps BIG time!!)

Well, it really depends. However, when there are surrounding traffic, it's not ideal to have fog lights on. The only time I use high-beam headlights is when I drive into a very dark area like a forest. That's when I really need the high-beam headlights. I don't use fog lights since I don't have them, but I've used them in the past. Didn't really find much use for it, probably wasn't installed properly which I think is the case with most of the fog lights.

Off-road is different from driving on the highway. I can see why some people would use them at times.

Have you ever noticed how some cars, especially European cars have rear fog lights. They are usually red. What bugs me is how they turn it on while they are driving in broad daylight. Same with fog lights during broad daylight, in fact, it's illegal in a lot of places to do so.

The problem with a lot of fog lights is that they are installed incorrectly and often not aligned to avoid any glares. This is why a lot of people don't get improved visibility at night. A very tiny bit misalignment of the fog lights makes a huge difference in how it works. In fact, it can end up being a hazard to the other drivers.

Well, it really depends. However, when there are surrounding traffic, it's not ideal to have fog lights on. The only time I use high-beam headlights is when I drive into a very dark area like a forest. That's when I really need the high-beam headlights. I don't use fog lights since I don't have them, but I've used them in the past. Didn't really find much use for it, probably wasn't installed properly which I think is the case with most of the fog lights.

High Beam didn't help much for some places and it's a problems if you on Highway and many cars heading other direction that prevent using high beam. That's why I use Foglamp on highway all the time. (remmy that my 2005 Dodge Durango have foglamp just inside bumpers which are closer to road). I find big advantage to be able to see wider and spread front to fill in gaps which regular headlights don't. This allows me to see comfortably without blinding drivers on other direction. If I had to use high beam on my truck, it'll automatically turns off foglights once it's switched to High beam.

The problem with a lot of fog lights is that they are installed incorrectly and often not aligned to avoid any glares. This is why a lot of people don't get improved visibility at night. A very tiny bit misalignment of the fog lights makes a huge difference in how it works. In fact, it can end up being a hazard to the other drivers.

Yes, it's true if it's not properly aligned. Sometime some driver had a minor wreck on front end, thus mis-align the foglamps, they tend to forget to include foglamp re-alginment. If anyone have common sense, It won't be a problems unless if they install foglamps on top of bumper such as Jeep, Hummer or any vehicles, it'll be a problem. Same as if SUV or Truck had height modified to make it higher then here's the issue with it. It's important that foglamps must be less than foot to ground and properly adjusted for safety.

Catty

Off-road is different from driving on the highway. I can see why some people would use them at times.

Have you ever noticed how some cars, especially European cars have rear fog lights. They are usually red. What bugs me is how they turn it on while they are driving in broad daylight. Same with fog lights during broad daylight, in fact, it's illegal in a lot of places to do so.

I turned fog light on when I need during heavy fog on the road.

I understand how your feels and I really HATE anyone with misalignment of headlight too, not just fog lights.

I hate some brand new Ford SUV *cant remember which model it was* tail light with high watts LED really bright and blind me. It was around 30 feet away from me. It's should be DIM led during night time. Geez.

I hate some brand new Ford SUV *cant remember which model it was* tail light with high watts LED really bright and blind me. It was around 30 feet away from me. It's should be DIM led during night time. Geez.

Ditto!! I've encountered that and it's blinding bright!! I believe it's a customized, not factory installed. It's more likely they are using 5 or 6 watts Red Luxeon LED lamp (it's much brighter than my 3 watts Luxeon flashlight!!)

Catty

Back