Would you write a short diary entry for $20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHalfWayMan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Meeting Half Way needs you!

A major part of Meeting Half Way is a joint effort diary for members of the Deaf community to share their experiences with the world. It aims to highlight the challenges Deaf people face and help hearing people realise that a lot of those challenges have been created through inconsideration.

Now, I'm sure no-one will take part until someone else does, so I'm asking you (members of AllDeaf) to give it a kick start and, in thanks, the campaign will donate $20 USD for each of the first 30 stories to AllDeaf.com, a Deaf cause of your choice or to you as the author.

This is urgent because UK Deaf Awareness Week is only 2 weeks away and its a good opportunity to publicly launch the campaign.

What do you have to do?

All you have to do is tell a story about an occurrence in your life which happened because of your Deafness. Particularly, I want to know the role which hearing people played in the experience... whether they were to blame in anyway or helped to make things better.

I've read one story about a Deaf woman treating an injured child, only to be brushed off on account of her deafness. I've also read about Deaf people missing their trains because the platform changes were announced by voice only. I've also read about a Deaf woman asking a hotel to wake her up in person and being terrified to find a man over her bed.

That's all. You tell me about your experiences to kick start the diary and as more and more Deaf people around the world read your experiences, they'll post their own.

What do you think? Who's ready? Any questions?

We already have NAD here in USA to teach the hearing world about Deaf Culture. Keep in mind NAD is not the only group as there are more.

Not only that, but different efforts might employ different methodologies and I'm quite confident in the methodology which we're looking to employ. The only requirement is the non-financial support of people in the Deaf community.

In my opinion, big change can only come about on an individual level. That is to say, individuals changing themselves and encouraging others to do the same. I've already started to rally the support of hearing people - they love the idea and are willing to back it. All that's needed now is the support of Deaf people to give it its base.

Not only that, but different efforts might employ different methodologies and I'm quite confident in the methodology which we're looking to employ. The only requirement is the non-financial support of people in the Deaf community.

In my opinion, big change can only come about on an individual level. That is to say, individuals changing themselves and encouraging others to do the same. I've already started to rally the support of hearing people - they love the idea and are willing to back it. All that's needed now is the support of Deaf people to give it its base.

Actually, from another perspective, it is not so much the individual that needs to change, but the societal attitudes toward the individual. Change needs to come at a much wider level than with the individual. We have been trying to force deaf individuals to change for centuries. Its time for society to change.

Let me ask you this. If a deaf person was to send you this "diary entry", who would hold the copyrights on it? I would reccommend to any deaf person considering your request to first copyright, in their own name, any written works they submit to you.

In addition, if you are planning on publishing these diary entries, I would reccommend that they get a contract from you stating what their share of the royalties wil be.

How about an explanation of this methodology you are planning to use?

Hi Jillio,

Society is made up individuals. Our methodology is to encourage change on an individual level and for such individuals to encourage change amongst each other in a viral manner.

If everyone changed themselves, then society will change.

Also, you may have misunderstood, but the change which I am trying to bring about is in hearing people and not Deaf people.

As for publishing, copyright and royalties... these diaries are going to published in an online diary which will be visible to all. Nothing will be sold (so no royalties) and copyright belongs to the author if the author wants it that way.

All it is is a joint effort blog.

If you've got any other questions or doubts, please let me know.

Also, if anyone was deafened or born deaf to hearing parents or is a hearing parent with a Deaf child, I would like to hear your Hearing-to-Deaf story as well. Thanks.

Hi Jillio,

Society is made up individuals. Our methodology is to encourage change on an individual level and for such individuals to encourage change amongst each other in a viral manner.

If everyone changed themselves, then society will change.

Also, you may have misunderstood, but the change which I am trying to bring about is in hearing people and not Deaf people.

As for publishing, copyright and royalties... these diaries are going to published in an online diary which will be visible to all. Nothing will be sold (so no royalties) and copyright belongs to the author if the author wants it that way.

All it is is a joint effort blog.

If you've got any other questions or doubts, please let me know.

Good luck with your endeavor. While society is comprised of individuals, there is a collective consciousness that supercedes the individual. Change on an individual level is good, no doubt. But changing the collective consciousness is a slow, slow process. We've been working on it for about 100 years now. Given that this campaign is being sponsored by yur company, and your company is int he communications field, I would still urge the members of this board to proceed with caution.

Given that this campaign is being sponsored by yur company, and your company is int he communications field, I would still urge the members of this board to proceed with caution.
Jillio, whilst your concern for others is great, your word of caution is only going to act as a barrier. What does anyone have to be cautious about?

The difference between now and the last 100 years is the internet and the increasing levels of human participation online.

Really, up until now, I've been brushing off everyone's suspicions. Now I'm actually beginning to get upset.

I am a busy professional who directs a company with more than 6,000 customers and it hardly gives me any time to get engaged in good causes. When I finally find a good cause which I can engage it through the company itself, the ones who benefit treat me like a smelly fish.

This project aims to help Deaf people and it needs their support. In stead of support, all I'm getting is suspicions and words of caution to others.

Please tell me, how can everything get cleared up?

Jillio, whilst your concern for others is great, your word of caution is only going to act as a barrier. What does anyone have to be cautious about?

The difference between now and the last 100 years is the internet and the increasing levels of human participation online.

Really, up until now, I've been brushing off everyone's suspicions. Now I'm actually beginning to get upset.

I am a busy professional who directs a company with more than 6,000 customers and it hardly gives me any time to get engaged in good causes. When I finally find a good cause which I can engage it through the company itself, the ones who benefit treat me like a smelly fish.

This project aims to help Deaf people and it needs their support. In stead of support, all I'm getting is suspicions and words of caution to others.

Please tell me, how can everything get cleared up?

While it is a good cause, indeed, perhaps you would do well to devote your time to those organizations that already serve to accomplish the same goal.

You have admitted to no experience with the Deaf population. Therefore, it leaves your motives open to scepticism. The fact that this project is tied to your company, the suspicion for financial profit for yourself is to be expected. Coming onto a deaf message board to request support from people you don't know, and a community to which you have no ties, other than through this proposed project of yours is a situation which leaves one to be sceptical. Asking deaf individuals to tell their stories so that you may publish a document seems to be preying on the population...in short, using thier stories to turn a profit for yourself. The Deaf population has already experienced this type of treatment through organizations for years. A.G. Bell in infamous for sensationalizing children to gain support for their organization. The CI industry does the same. All to bring in financial support that in turn, supports the hearing CEOs more than the deaf individuals they claim to be serving. The deaf/Deaf have every right to be sceptical of any such endeavor, and they have not only the right, but are very wise to be sceptical.

And if my word of caution acts as a barrier to further mistreatment of the deaf, then I have accomplished my purpose.

Jillio,

Thanks for making your skepticism clear for me. At least now I see where you are coming from.

What your basically saying though, is that a company is not allowed to do good because it is a company. Being a busy individual who is devoted to family life, I hate not having the time to get engaged in good causes. By doing good through the company, my work becomes a way of doing good, which is why I love this idea so much.

When I first came on to this board, I mentioned that the third objective of Meeting Half Way was to raise ongoing funds for Deaf charities. Unfortunately, some people understood that to mean I came to the boards to raise funds and the thread got deleted. I talked about it with Alex by way of email and, to avoid confusion, I stopped mentioning that aspect of it.

The reason why I am mentioning it now is because you raised the topic of financial gain. I would therefore like you to know that we are looking to channel all the direct profit which comes through this project back to Deaf charities and whether you believe that or not is up to you. I stopped mentioning it because it was confusing people and my Lord knows what the hearts conceal and what the tongues reveal.

As for getting involved in something which I don't know about, the reason I am getting involved is because it is somewhere I feel I can bring about change. In fact, being ignorant on the topic makes me more suitable for the job because the project aims to focus on challenging the prevalent ignorance of today (something which I am a part of).

I am looking to help Deaf people by fixing myself as a hearing person and then encouraging other hearing people to fix themselves and get them to do the same and so on. Its quite an original approach and I believe it can work. It needs the help of the Deaf community though, and this is how things are turning out.

I'm beginning this chain reaction with myself... I've registered on a long distance learning course (which is due to arrive here on Thursday) and I'm spending a good deal of time on this (even though my company is going through a major transition which I'm supposed to be more involved in).

I have an enterprenurial mind and wish to apply that mind to good.

I'm more than happy to publish an agreement which states that author's own all the copyrights of their stories and they can never be sold. I'm also happy to link back to the authors of stories if they have personal websites or blogs. I'm also happy to do anything else that will bring the skepticism to an end.

Likewise, other members are upset with this barrage of questions, demands, and denials. It's an unknown with zero background asking instant and unchallenged trust and compliance without foundation.

From the first, this campaign has been odd and has become increasingly bizarre. It's obviously unwanted for whatever reason.

The above carries a hint of threat. The goal of Halfway is clear, so further pressures on individuals and the group are redundant and excessive and must cease.

And do not under any circumstances imply further threat, however broad.

Likewise, other members are upset with this barrage of questions, demands, and denials. It's an unknown with zero background asking instant and unchallenged trust and compliance without foundation.

From the first, this campaign has been odd and has become increasingly bizarre. It's obviously unwanted for whatever reason.

The above carries a hint of threat. The goal of Halfway is clear, so further pressures on individuals and the group are redundant and excessive and must cease.

And do not under any circumstances imply further threat, however broad.

My curiousity, or skeptisism if you will, lies in the first postings that mentioned that your company produced a product that you felt would benefit the Deaf community. If I recall, you said that you were unsuccessful in marketing it to the Deaf? I could not go back and read the thread, cuz I just don't know how to navigate to past threads here, and I do not wish to misrepresent what I thought you said. Please forgive me if I have spoken out of turn here. But what does your company produce?

Jillio,

Thanks for making your skepticism clear for me. At least now I see where you are coming from.

What your basically saying though, is that a company is not allowed to do good because it is a company. Being a busy individual who is devoted to family life, I hate not having the time to get engaged in good causes. By doing good through the company, my work becomes a way of doing good, which is why I love this idea so much.

When I first came on to this board, I mentioned that the third objective of Meeting Half Way was to raise ongoing funds for Deaf charities. Unfortunately, some people understood that to mean I came to the boards to raise funds and the thread got deleted. I talked about it with Alex by way of email and, to avoid confusion, I stopped mentioning that aspect of it.

The reason why I am mentioning it now is because you raised the topic of financial gain. I would therefore like you to know that we are looking to channel all the direct profit which comes through this project back to Deaf charities and whether you believe that or not is up to you. I stopped mentioning it because it was confusing people and my Lord knows what the hearts conceal and what the tongues reveal.

As for getting involved in something which I don't know about, the reason I am getting involved is because it is somewhere I feel I can bring about change. In fact, being ignorant on the topic makes me more suitable for the job because the project aims to focus on challenging the prevalent ignorance of today (something which I am a part of).

I am looking to help Deaf people by fixing myself as a hearing person and then encouraging other hearing people to fix themselves and get them to do the same and so on. Its quite an original approach and I believe it can work. It needs the help of the Deaf community though, and this is how things are turning out.

I'm beginning this chain reaction with myself... I've registered on a long distance learning course (which is due to arrive here on Thursday) and I'm spending a good deal of time on this (even though my company is going through a major transition which I'm supposed to be more involved in).

I have an enterprenurial mind and wish to apply that mind to good.

I'm more than happy to publish an agreement which states that author's own all the copyrights of their stories and they can never be sold. I'm also happy to link back to the authors of stories if they have personal websites or blogs. I'm also happy to do anything else that will bring the skepticism to an end.

That is not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that, when you approach people for a venture of this sort, you need to have everything in place prior to requesting help so that your motives don't appear skewed or your intent illegitimate.

Likewise, other members are upset with this barrage of questions, demands, and denials.
The barrage of denials is in response to the unexpected barrage of incorrect assumptions and accusations.

It is odd because it is a completely original approach to solving the ongoing problem of ignorance and service inaccessibility. If it wasn't wanted, I wish someone would have said so and told me why so I could have been on my way eariler, rather than having to defend myself.

The above carries a hint of threat.
No, it is not a threat. I wrote what I wrote because I had just responded to someone else who somehow managed to make baseless accusations and then came to this thread to find this response. See things from my point of view... I've come here with sincerity and my sincerity has been dealt with like this.

jillio said:
That is not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that, when you approach people for a venture of this sort, you need to have everything in place prior to requesting help so that your motives don't appear skewed or your intent illegitimate.
If you look at my history, you will see that I began to ask questions because I was impatient waiting for my long distance course. I then began focusing more on getting things rolling for the campaign because we have Deaf Awareness week in less than 2 weeks; something I was not aware of.

My motives are not skewed or my intent illegitimate and I've only spoken the truth at all times - the lack of planning should prove the sincerity. Also, as an individual, I don't have the time or resources to engage in this project, but as a company, I do. Deaf people rightfully complain about the attitudes and lack of accommodation of hearing people and when a hearing person finally decides to do something about it, everyone takes it all completely wrongly. Its as though keeping the status quo is what is desired.

Freaky Cat said:
everything about this sound fishy
What else can anyone expect when a few people have react so badly and encourage others to do the same.

From here...

1. I'd like to withdraw the offer of donating $20.00 to charity in exchange for your stories. If you believe in the project, then please provide your stories without charge. Otherwise, I don't want there to be any other form of incentive.

2. I request you all to monitor the project by subscribing to the blog @ meetinghalfway.wordpress.com You don't have anything to lose and can simply unsubscribe at any time. If you want to contribute to the project, you can do so through the blog.

3. If you don't want me here, then I respect your decision because this is your forum. So, until I'm otherwise told by a moderator, I will stop posting on this forum.

You guys think that you've done some form of good by challenging my sincerity with skepticism, complete misunderstandings and disdain. But you've done far from it.

I came here with a good heart & good intentions and expected to receive the support of good people. It seems that my key problem lay in my expectations.

I wish you all the best and apologise for, apparently, disrupting your forums.

Just to let you all know, although I'm no longer posting on this board, I have put up a post called Ulterior Motives, the title of which should speak for itself.

As was origninally suspected, this whole campaign is centered in making the services you offer through your company more marketable,thus increasing your profit margin. Your "social conern" is related only to how it will benefit you, not altruistic at all. The scepticism was indeed justified. Your efforts were nothing more than a thinly veiled marketing ploy, and an attempt to use the deaf community an cheaply obtained advertising.

As was origninally suspected...Your efforts were nothing more than a thinly veiled marketing ploy, and an attempt to use the deaf community an cheaply obtained advertising.
Never have I said that this project is altruistic in its nature. Rather, I've clearly stated that I've taken on a company project on a personal level because it allows me (personally) to engage in good without neglecting my company. After all, I could have simply paid someone else to do all of this or left out the social change aspect.

Inline with your thinking, you can't benefit from a doctor or a dentist because most are looking to earn a salary and very few actually care about you. Also, you can't send your kids to school or go to university because most teachers care little for their students and simply want to earn their living.

I had promised not to participate in this forum, but you (jillio) do not allow members to email you and I really wanted to discuss things with you. Rather than being interested in helping a project that will be of great benefit to the Deaf community, you've decided to stero-type me and completely misjudge my personal intentions as though you've really seen into my heart.

I've made myself available by email and I do wish you would contact me that way as I have promised not to participate in the forum.

Never have I said that this project is altruistic in its nature. Rather, I've clearly stated that I've taken on a company project on a personal level because it allows me (personally) to engage in good without neglecting my company. After all, I could have simply paid someone else to do all of this or left out the social change aspect.

Inline with your thinking, you can't benefit from a doctor or a dentist because most are looking to earn a salary and very few actually care about you. Also, you can't send your kids to school or go to university because most teachers care little for their students and simply want to earn their living.

I had promised not to participate in this forum, but you (jillio) do not allow members to email you and I really wanted to discuss things with you. Rather than being interested in helping a project that will be of great benefit to the Deaf community, you've decided to stero-type me and completely misjudge my personal intentions as though you've really seen into my heart.

I've made myself available by email and I do wish you would contact me that way as I have promised not to participate in the forum.

I release my email address on request to those that have need to contact me through email. Many members here are in possession of my email address.

I have not judged you personally at all. I have simply read the links provided, and made an assessment of your business practices.

Your comparisons are fallicious.

I have not stereotyped you at all. Nor have I misjudged your intentions. I have simply pointed out the reality of the situation that you chose not to make evident at the very outset. You misreperesented your intent as an altuistic project rather than a business venture that has, at its foundation, the goal of profit for your company and not social revision. Any benefit to the deaf community is is a side effect of your intended goal to advance and sell your product.

The simple fact is, you have a product to sell. And the method you have chosen to advertise that product borders on unethical through misrepresentation to the deaf community of your intended goal. I find the fact that you assumed that the deaf population was so naive as to fall for this ploy insulting.

And I am done debating the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back