Widex Super 440 SP vs Oticon Chili SP 9

Sam1977

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a bilateral severe to profound hearing loss and it's been so many years using Oticon Sumo DM (Ear simulator data: peak full-on gain is 85 dB with input signal of 50 dB SPL, and the maximum output is 144 dB with OSPL90). The clarity of speech (in quiet environment) with Sumo is OK but not as good as my old analogue Oticon aids. I think it's time to move on and try a new pair with high end technology in order to hear the speech without effort.

I've tried the Phonak Naida, it is powerful but I didn't like the sound quality. So I am now comparing between Oticon Chili SP 9 and Widex Super 440 RITE SP. Will they fit my audiogram? I think Oticon Chili will not fit my hearing loss as the Widex Super 440 does.

-Oticon Chili SP9 Ear simulator data: (peak full-on gain is 82 dB with input signal of 60 dB SPL, and the maximum output is 143 dB with OSPL90)
-Widex Super 440 RITE SP receiver Ear simulator data: (peak full-on gain is 87 dB with input signal of 50 dB SPL, and the maximum output is 143 dB with OSPL90)
As you see, Widex Super is more powerful than Oticon Chili, this is why it is more likely for me to go for Widex.

Anybody who's had experience with any of these 2 aids can please tell me his opinion (pros and cons)? Which one will be better for the clarity of speech (in quiet environment)? Will I notice a positive difference in sound quality by switching from Sumo to Widex Super 440? Are Oticon and Widex planning to release a new HA in the coming months so It'd be better to wait a bit?

Here is my latest audiogram:
125 Hz------> R:35db L:40db
250 Hz------> R:50db L:55db
500 Hz------> R:80db L:80db
1000Hz------> R:100db L:105db
2000Hz------> R:115db L:120db
4000Hz------> R:120db L:NR

Thanks in advance for your help

the Naida Q is already out so maybe you could give that another try??? (Siemens also has hearing aids for your loss also too)

What about the Widex Super? Don't you recommend it? I've also heard about Gn Resound aids. They say that Apple iphones can transmit the sound directly to Resound aids without the need for a bluetooth device. I am trying to find out which Resound aids can fit my loss. But I am more into Widex. I've read some good reviews about it.

Your loss ranges from mild to profound, not just severe to profound so you'll have to look for something that has a big fitting range.

Also as everyone hears differently, you'll have to try the hearing aids out and chose for yourself as no two people are the same with how they hear even if they have identical hearing results.

As you see, Widex Super is more powerful than Oticon Chili, this is why it is more likely for me to go for Widex.

Anybody who's had experience with any of these 2 aids can please tell me his opinion (pros and cons)?

I currently use Widex and it's been the best experience I've had with hearing aids. I'm very pleased and will be staying with them. You can PM for more direct answers, but I can tell you Widex worked well right out of the box with only three adjustments.

Laura

and speaking of Resound, I know someone who's rocking the blue Versos *which is my other option but it's not gonna be like hers since I require alot of power* :P

I had a Widex aid before my Naida and the sound quality was always quite good compared to any other aid of it's time. I can't help you with the current ones, but I was a pretty happy Widex user for almost a decade.

I also was unhappy with the Naida sound quality at the start, but after a number of fittings it is fine now. I think this is the case with most digital aids.

Comparing Widex with Naida, which one has got a better sound quality?

I had a Widex aid before my Naida and the sound quality was always quite good compared to any other aid of it's time. I can't help you with the current ones, but I was a pretty happy Widex user for almost a decade.

How to make sure that the fitting range is good enough for my loss? Widex Super full-on gain is 87 dB. So I guess this will cover all ranges of loss I have. Am I correct? Also, the fitting frequency is 100-7400 Hz.

Your loss ranges from mild to profound, not just severe to profound so you'll have to look for something that has a big fitting range.

It's hard to say, the Widex Senso Diva is now too quiet for me, it is pretty much maxed out capacity wise. I have always preferred the Diva's low frequency response when I put it in to try it out, as it goes lower than the Naida which only goes down to about 140 Hz. The bass on the Widex is also a bit clearer and nicer sounding, less mechanical. The ear I wear an HA in is pretty similar in loss to your left ear, and I have an implant in the right ear. But in terms of features, the new Naida absolutely wrecks the 9 year old Widex aid, which is no surprise. So it's not really a fair comparison.

I probably would have chosen Widex again if I did not have an AB implant. I would have tried a new Widex aid, anyway, but I wanted compatibility between the HA and CI.

But don't get me wrong, I like the Naida now.. I did not at first. Part of it is just the brain adjusting to a new hearing aid. Another part of it is getting it fit well.

Hello again,

I see that there are 3 types of widex Camisha shell earmold for the RITE Widex Super 440 Hearing aids. I dont know which earmold is more suitable for my hearing loss audiogram. Can you please help me with the choice of the earmold. Here are the 3 types:

1- Custom ¾ Hard Earmold with Output Extender:
The Output extender in the earmold is like a curl made in the bore inside the mold and it is used to boost the bass sound below 1000 Hz and provide more gain in the low frequencies (125, 250, 500 Hz)
Material: acrylic
Venting: No vent (standard) OR pressure vent (upon request)

2- Custom ¾ Hard Earmold with Straight Sound Bore:
Material: acrylic
Venting: No vent (standard) OR pressure vent (upon request)

3- Custom FULL Soft Earmold with Straight Sound Bore:
Material: silicone
Venting: No vent (standard) OR small trench (1 mm) OR medium trench (1.8 mm) (upon request)

My loss is moderate in low frequency, severe in middle frequency, profound in high freq. So, what is better for my hearing, mold with vent or without vent? the pressure vent or the small trench 1mm or the medium trench 1.8 mm? the more the diameter of the vent, the more high frequency gain I get. Am I correct? And shall I go for the acrylic hard mold or the silicone soft mold?

What about the mold with output extender? Do you recommend it for me? From what I understood after reading the Widex features on their website, the Output extender in the earmold is used to boost the bass sound below 1000 Hz and provide more gain or output in the low frequencies (125, 250, 500 Hz) for people who have severe low frequencies loss. So, I think this is not my case. It will be useful for a person with more low frequency loss I guess. I think if I receive an excessive gain in the low frequencies, this will make the sound more echoing. Am I correct? If yes, then I should pick the hard earmold without the output extender. What do you think?

Here is my audiogram again:

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
When my hearing loss was much less severe I had ReSound Canta 4 BTEs. The sound was good.

Since I have progressive hearing loss I needed much more power than the resounds could provide and while waiting on coverage for my Naidas my audiologist loaned me a bunch of different super power BTEs. This was a few years ago but the Oticons were ok. Widex was good. Starkey was worthless.
But honestly nothing compared to Phonak esp with sound recover.
It took a week or two to get used to.
My audiogram is my avitar but if you can't see it

Both ears are the same so I'm including my aided results as the second one
250 Hz------> Ears: 95 Aids: 40
500 Hz------> E: 100 A: 45
1000Hz------> E: 110 A: 45
2000Hz------> E: 105 A: 55
4000Hz------> E: NR A: 80
8000Hz------> E: NR A: NR

Thanks a lot ecp for your feedback. There are many users who are recommending Phonak, but to be honest my trial with Naida failed to convince me, especially that I am satisfied with Oticon sound quality. And I've been using Oticon since age of 8. I am hard to be convinced by a new aid because I won't pick any new aid unless I feel a noticeable improvement in sound quality compared to Oticon's quality. I hope Widex can do it. Waiting for Widex trial. Thanks again

When my hearing loss was much less severe I had ReSound Canta 4 BTEs. The sound was good.

Since I have progressive hearing loss I needed much more power than the resounds could provide and while waiting on coverage for my Naidas my audiologist loaned me a bunch of different super power BTEs. This was a few years ago but the Oticons were ok. Widex was good. Starkey was worthless.
But honestly nothing compared to Phonak esp with sound recover.
It took a week or two to get used to.
My audiogram is my avitar but if you can't see it

Both ears are the same so I'm including my aided results as the second one
250 Hz------> Ears: 95 Aids: 40
500 Hz------> E: 100 A: 45
1000Hz------> E: 110 A: 45
2000Hz------> E: 105 A: 55
4000Hz------> E: NR A: 80
8000Hz------> E: NR A: NR

Im profoundly deaf in both ears. I wear Siemens Nitro 301 SP, Full shell silicon molds, no vent. I´m happy with them, I searched 1 year for a good solution to hear.

Hello,

I have a bilateral severe to profound hearing loss and it's been so many years using Oticon Sumo DM (Ear simulator data: peak full-on gain is 85 dB with input signal of 50 dB SPL, and the maximum output is 144 dB with OSPL90). The clarity of speech (in quiet environment) with Sumo is OK but not as good as my old analogue Oticon aids. I think it's time to move on and try a new pair with high end technology in order to hear the speech without effort.

I've tried the Phonak Naida, it is powerful but I didn't like the sound quality. So I am now comparing between Oticon Chili SP 9 and Widex Super 440 RITE SP. Will they fit my audiogram? I think Oticon Chili will not fit my hearing loss as the Widex Super 440 does.

-Oticon Chili SP9 Ear simulator data: (peak full-on gain is 82 dB with input signal of 60 dB SPL, and the maximum output is 143 dB with OSPL90)
-Widex Super 440 RITE SP receiver Ear simulator data: (peak full-on gain is 87 dB with input signal of 50 dB SPL, and the maximum output is 143 dB with OSPL90)

Anybody who's had experience with any of these 2 aids can please tell me his opinion (pros and cons)? Which one will be better for the clarity of speech (in quiet environment)? Will I notice a positive difference in sound quality by switching from Sumo to Widex Super 440? Are Oticon and Widex planning to release a new HA in the coming months so It'd be better to wait a bit?

Here is my latest audiogram:

Thanks in advance for your help

When you say sound quality, do you mean that it has like stereo sound?

I have Phonak Savia's and they definitely don't have the sound quality my Starkey's had, but I can hear better with them. I think I just don't need stereo sound for my hearing loss, but just good old treble with not very much base.

My sister has Widex and loves them.

Back