Why not Cochlear Transplants?!

Wirelessly posted

Yes, OB we have our occassional oddball [not our fiesty Oddball we all know and love!] that just visits this site here and there. Nothing like stirring a hornet's nest during a lovely picnic, ha ha!

Wirelessly posted

Yes, OB we have our occassional oddball [not our fiesty Oddball we all know and love!] that just visits this site here and there. Nothing like stirring a hornet's nest during a lovely picnic, ha ha!

Not that being deaf is necessarily a bad thing. I don't think it is, but with all the hardships that can go along with it, it begs the question why someone would WANT that kind of attention! It boggled my mind.

But, anyway, I digress. I said I didn't want to open that can of worms, so, I think I better stop here! :giggle:

Good news indeed- Mod approved!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

is there cochlear transplants?? my son is deaf his 4 weeks and 5 days and we have to go to the Gold Coast on the 10 of August to find out what the next step in getting this fixed, I've been Googling cochlear transplants but it only comes up with cochlear implants and I dont know if it is possible that there are cochlear transplants, I know I'll be able to find out this on my next appointment but I cant seem to sit here and just wait untill then to find out what I can do to make my little man better.

Wirelessly posted

no, there are no cochlear transplants. There are only cochlear implants.

Wirelessly posted

It seems someone is pushing drphil's buttons today - he is a tad touchy don't you think?

Cochlea transplant would probably be the most complicated transplant there is , next to brain transplant (heaven forbid that!) since its intricate nervous channels that had to be 'soldered' on and i dont have a freakn clue what medical researcher would know or have say about this. Its probably not do-able.

I agree. I do not want to have to take drugs to suppress my immune system to avoid rejection of the cochleas. When you think about the pros and the cons of a cochlea transplants, the cons outnumber the pros largely due to the necessity of having to take immune suppressants. Uh, no thanks!

A CI is just so much more simpler. No anti-rejection drugs, thus no worrying about getting sick, less susceptible to serious infections, etc. With a CI you pretty much have to only worry about meningitis and the general ear infections. Meningitis can be easily avoided for the most part with vaccinations and the general ear infections can be taken care of with antibiotics.

With a cochlea transplant you would need:
*more complicated surgery to transplant the delicate cochlea
*anti-rejection/immune suppressants drugs that can make you sick and more susceptible to many serious infections because the drugs makes your immune system weaker in order to prevent it from rejecting the cochleas or any other organ transplants
*constant monitoring as is common with many organ transplants
*very expensive over the entire lifetime due to the meds and the constant monitoring and any problems that can most likely pop up as a result of a organ transplant as is common with a kidney or heart transplant. And I'm not talking about $60 grand....I'm talking like $500,000 or even more because this would be so fucking complicated!
*the pros of this surgery beyond just restoring hearing is yet unknown
*there would be so much research that still have to be done before even thinking about doing a trial
*I highly doubt the FDA would approve this procedure based on the given fact that cochlear implants work quite well in many cases and therefore cochlea transplants are not needed.
*It's simply not necessary anyway - it does not save your life.
*you're not going to die if you don't get a cochlea transplant anyway - you also won't be tied to a machine 3 or 4 times a week for 3-4 hours at a time like you would be if you were a kidney failure patient who is most definitely in need of a kidney transplant like my friend N.S. who has been on dialysis for 15 years, ever since she was 10.
*YOU DO NOT NEED A COCHLEA TRANSPLANT. IT'S JUST FUCKING SILLY. END OF STORY. :roll:

have you got Tourette's Syndrome?:giggle:

Wirelessly posted

It seems someone is pushing drphil's buttons today - he is a tad touchy don't you think?

:confused: Why are you asking us about drphil's state of mind today? Wrong thread, maybe?

Wow: missed important history Nov/10! Not sure what buttons involved in the innocuous comment-mod approved?
Something to consider while swimming. Multitasking in water!

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

have you got Tourette's Syndrome?:giggle:

Excuse me.. do you even know what Tourette's Syndrome is? Or know some one that has it?

My brother has it and nothing that Lucia posted indicates or warrents for you make a joke out of TS.

Lucia, I mean do you have coprolalia?
*excuse me Babyblue I have narrowed to that specific 'neuro/behavioural disorder'.. a more accurate one...Now im beginning to wonder why and how Tourette's got a 'bad name' thru the media by leaving it tooo general?!! hmmm it got me thinking eh, and im more aware of it now, as does im more aware of why and its not so nice to get picked on...say sorry to him too for me BB, or just say to yourself you've won yourself a 'converted understanding' - that's me...
now Lucia, im just saying you Cuss ALOT...and guess what...dont laugh but I think you are taken anyway (still impossible for me in other side of world) but kinda thought your cussing (in a weird way) makes you sexy LOL....gotta laugh about it...

i guess its cuz no many girls cuss that mean, let alone cuss alot while really being intelligent as you see ive seen on TV and real life, girls/women who cuss alot arent very bright...

no thanks, i prefer my CI than a cochlea transplant. But If there's any risk-takers willing to do it, I'll wait and watch a few years to see how they're doing with that.

Back