Why I'm here, and why I'm mad at all of you

Wiggee

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Wiggy. I'm hearing. I'm a college student, studying to become a high school math teacher. I apologize for this long post, but I've been lurking for a few weeks, worked up the courage to register, and now have enough courage to post. Skip down to the dashes if you want to see why I'm "mad" at you :ty:

After some time off from college from being burned out, I finally worked up the gumption to pick up my education and become a teacher. I wanted to make a difference to students, so I'm trying to become the best teacher I can.

As part of my transfer, I realized I needed language credits. Having studied Latin a decade prior in high school, I wanted something that would be a little more useful in teaching students. Living in Texas, the obvious choice is Spanish, but I figured we had enough teachers who were bad at Spanish. So I decided to learn sign language. When I started last semester, I was almost completely ignorant of Deaf culture. I knew ASL was not English, and that it had different syntax, that it wasn't the same as BSL, and knew 24 letters (darn you, P and Q!) and 9 numbers.

So, my logic was: hey, I can sign while I'm doing math, and help some students out? Maybe when I have a deaf student, I can help him out while lecturing by not needing a "translator".

Hoo boy, no. I quickly realized I was in over my head. As we studied Deaf culture, I realized how much of this world I hadn't even thought of yet. Reading about oralist history and some teaching techniques made me cringe. I love the English language, and I found myself falling for ASL.

As a second semester student, I know my signing is terrible, and my vocabulary terrible. My grammar is terrible, but I'm working to improve it. Being timid doesn't help.

--------------

So, why am I mad at every single one of you? For ruining my plans. For making me want to be a part of this community, even if I can't fully be part of the culture.

I was going to take 2 semester of ASL, then continue on to become a teacher. I'm nearing my maximum credit hours, at which point I lose my ability to get financial aid, so I don't have much room for extra classes. But I've mentally committed myself to take ASL 3 and 4 so I can become fluent enough to carry on a conversation without making a complete fool of myself.

And I'm questioning my career choice. Reading about these situations where people are relegated to second class citizen status by ignorant [censored]s just sets me off. Is teaching where I can make the most difference? Or should I need to move into administration (or some other field) where I can attempt to stop the trouble that arises from belligerent ignorance?

Anyways... a very sincere :ty: to all of you for letting me peek in through the window to the Deaf world. Reading some of the posts about hearing people makes me mad - I had hoped there weren't such idiotic people in the world anymore.

If I ever seem like I'm being preachy, or tripping over my overwhelming ignorance, I apologize in advance.

And now, my novel complete, I go back to lurking.

Back