Why I don't like most hearing males?

Either way ("lazy" vs "disinterest") it's something I've noticed too. And it'd be interesting to learn more about the "why" that's behind it.

Would you learn to speak a language that you would have very little use for ?

Would you learn to speak a language that you would have very little use for ?

Yes, actually. I'm learning to speak Welsh, as well as Old English and Ancient Irish.

But assuming your supposition that ASL isn't "useful" (to men) that doesn't really address the question as to why more females (presumably given their rates of attendance in ASL classes) find a use for it than men.

Either way ("lazy" vs "disinterest") it's something I've noticed too. And it'd be interesting to learn more about the "why" that's behind it.

I'm a massage therapist, a female dominated field. Men and women have different interests so more women pursuing ASL than men isn't exactly eye brow raising for me.

Could it be that the "business world" is still pretty male-heavy and that ASL is not a common language to know in the business world as other languages such as Mandarin or Spanish?

I find languages interesting so I am always willing to learn another one or at least learn something about them but not everyone does. I don't blame anyone for not learning a language when they haven't had any opportunities to be exposed to it.

Pants dropping. You know he my favorite!

Actually you probably don't recognize him haha but he's like the couple pages of my eye candy thread.

Yes, actually. I'm learning to speak Welsh, as well as Old English and Ancient Irish.

But assuming your supposition that ASL isn't "useful" (to men) that doesn't really address the question as to why more females (presumably given their rates of attendance in ASL classes) find a use for it than men.

I took an ASL class in Berkeley and there where men in the class and I was invited to an ASL at college and there just as many men as women there . I really think men do not have explain why they're not interested in learning ASL . It have nothing to with be lazy like the OP said . That great you're like learning new things , I wanted my daughter and granddaughter to learn ASL with me and they had no interest in it. So there is no point in me talking ASL classes again.

I have yet to see a mainstream school offer ASL as a second language. Now Special education is different, but they are few in between.... But a majority of the schools are mainstream and dont offer ASL so there IS a BIG gap between that... It is not a MUST to learn it otherwise I would have been in it when I went to mainstream schools ( both private and public ) so its not offered everywhere at all. All the people I met that uses ASL here learned due to they have someone deaf in the family or a friend who is deaf, everyone else went to a community college to learn ASL, same as I have done, because there were no options or resources provided to me growing up.

I took a look around and was able to find high schools offering asl classes not too far from where you are. Like I said an increasing number, not "popular overnight". Not only that, the exposure from switched at birth generates interest for the teens.

I wouldn't be able to say what I just said a generation ago.

And for that other poster who asked if anyone would be glad to see someone speak to me in asl. My answer is yes, it's a relief for sore writing fingers.

It's not "laziness" is disinterest.

You wouldn't raise an eyebrow to the fact many mothers (of course if they select to utilize asl with their child) takes time to learn sign language while a high percentage of fathers don't? Amazingly enough some fathers also proceed to throw many excuses around to why they can't do it as well.

Is that laziness or disinterest?

When I was in mainstream schools with other deaf students, we wanted to learn to sign ASL as ASL was and still is our primary language but the principals and the teachers do not approve of us using sign language for us to learn so that we can use ASL interpreters to help us understand in hearing classrooms. They won't allow it at all. So if ASL is not giving out to the high schools with other languages, then the public schools are wrong to do that for both deaf and hearing students. It is up to the students to make the choice if they want to sign ASL or other speaking languages.

That was why I got frustrated not being able to understand in the hearing classrooms in spite of lipreading which is not 100%, only about 30% that the deaf student can make out and lot of guess work. It was and is still not good to lipread. :(
Wow, your school forbids ASL? That's an act of discrimination. Was that a long time ago? If so, do they still forbid it?

You wouldn't raise an eyebrow to the fact many mothers (of course if they select to utilize asl with their child) takes time to learn sign language while a high percentage of fathers don't? Amazingly enough some fathers also proceed to throw many excuses around to why they can't do it as well.

Now you're just changing the subject. Yes as a father of a deaf kid that would be laziness. As Joe Schmoe that doesn't know anyone deaf, no no it's not. Apples and Oranges buddy, don't compare the two.

Last edited:

Parents of Deaf Children Not Learning Sign Language

According this web site they feel the doctors have something to do with parents not learning ASL . I think a better word would 'uneducated ', a lot
hearing people are clueless what it's like being deaf or hoh .
My mother never really got it , I told my mom that I would put in a safety
handle in my bathtub for her when I had my house remodel and she can get a telephone that I can hear on when I go to visit her. I kept my part of my the deal but after travel 3,000 miles to see my mom she did not keep her part of the deal .

:hug:I'm sorry you're mom didn't keep her part of the deal.
She missed out on a cool person-

Wow, your school forbids ASL? That's an act of discrimination. Was that a long time ago? If so, do they still forbid it?

||| asl timeline |||

This is interesting.

I grew up in the 50's and deaf and hoh where not taught ASL in public schools in my town . I am not sure when first heard about ASL , there was no deaf culture in my home town. Boston had schools for deaf and hoh kids but I was not send there and it only took 30 minutes to get to Boston from house .

Do you feel good when someone comes up to you and speaks ASL?

Not speak as in oral. You have to remember to use the word "sign" instead of speak. We use gesture for signing, not using our voice for speaking. That is the difference.

So the correct question is "Do you feel good when someone comes up to you and sign ASL?".

Yes, I would be happy to have someone come up and sign ASL to me as I am a ASL user. I don't know about "feel good", but I am happy that the hearing person took the time to learn to sign and now can communicate with me in signing ASL. That take gut. **nodded** :cool2:

Yes, both my elementary and high school mainstream schools really forbid us, deafies and/or HOH, not wanting us to learn ASL and not want us to use ASL interpreters. They thought that lipreading was better and that they thought that we can use hearing aids to listen but they did not know anything about how we had suffered so much trying to explained to the principals and the teachers about our suffering. That was back in the middle 1950 like around 1954 or 1955 until I think the mainstream schools probably finally let the deafies and HOH learn ASL and got their ASL interpreters around 1972 (I think). I don't remember when they started having ASL in public schools.

I think so if they are still using ASL in public schools. If the public school forbid it, then there is ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) to fight and let the hearing public school know that the Deaf need ASL and need ASL interpreters. :hmm:

Yes, both my elementary and high school mainstream schools really forbid us, deafies and/or HOH, not wanting us to learn ASL and not want us to use ASL interpreters. They thought that lipreading was better and that they thought that we can use hearing aids to listen but they did not know anything about how we had suffered so much trying to explained to the principals and the teachers about our suffering. That was back in the middle 1950 like around 1954 or 1955 until I think the mainstream schools probably finally let the deafies and HOH learn ASL and got their ASL interpreters around 1972 (I think). I don't remember when they started having ASL in public schools.

I think so if they are still using ASL in public schools. If the public school forbid it, then there is ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) to fight and let the hearing public school know that the Deaf need ASL and need ASL interpreters. :hmm:
I was not taught lipreading , when it was discovered I was HOH at 8 yo I got a one body styled HA and send off to second grade and I never passed first grade. I did not start wearing 2 HA until I until I was a lot older and no longer going to school. It's amazing that no one thought to have kids wearing 2 HA in the 50's .

Now you're just changing the subject. Yes as a father of a deaf kid that would be laziness. As Joe Schmoe that doesn't know anyone deaf, no no it's not. Apples and Oranges buddy, don't compare the two.

If a certain person never met a deaf person there wouldn't be any disinterest. :cool2:

Back