Why do parents insist on ear piercings on babies and toddlers?

In many cultures, especially Latin America, it is normal for a baby girl to have her ears pierced in the hospital when she is born (you have to tell them if you don't want the ears pierced). It's a cultural thing. I don't want to open a can of worms, but in the U.S., many parents still routinely circumcize baby boys for the same reasons (mostly cosmetic, cultural, etc.), and circumcision is a much more painful procedure (and far more irreversible).

I got my ears pierced at 13. It was a rite of passage. I didn't hurt except stinging when cleaning with alcohol. I had second holes put in later and that did hurt! I think that the higher up you go on the ear, the more it hurts.

While I was pregnant, my husband told me that I couldn't have the baby's ears pierced if it was a girl. I would have respected that. Turned out that I had boys and they aren't interested in piercings. Truthfully, I'm relieved about not dealing with it. lol

I was 7. It was as a gift for my 8th birthday (the next day). Truthfully, I think I was too young and not responsible enough to deal with what I had to do. On top of it, we found out I am allergic to fake metals including the so called hypo-allergenic metal. This meant that I could only wear 14 carat real gold. At the age I was at, I was losing a lot of earrings or the backs, and it was a nightmare. As I grew older, I was still allergic to most metals and could only wear "cheap" earrings for 24 hrs or my ears would get red, be painful. At some point back in my 30s, I got fed up and took my earrings out. I let the holes close and never looked back.

I don't mind parents deciding to have their kids' ears peirced. I don't even mind it that they get their babies ears peirced. As I said, I think it's an individual parents' decision. But, I do think you have to pick and choose when to do it. The "Tween" years is NOT the time to do it unless you have an uber-responsible kid. Either do it when they are babies, or, wait until they are a teenager. That's my take on this.

I remember wearing those, but they were antiques. Does anyone know if they still sell them?

Yes. I know where to get ear clips via jewerly supplies. Dunno about stores though.

Here's a site that may interest you even though it's not exactly what you have in mind.

Last edited:
I got my ears pierced at 13. It was a rite of passage. I didn't hurt except stinging when cleaning with alcohol. I had second holes put in later and that did hurt! I think that the higher up you go on the ear, the more it hurts.

While I was pregnant, my husband told me that I couldn't have the baby's ears pierced if it was a girl. I would have respected that. Turned out that I had boys and they aren't interested in piercings. Truthfully, I'm relieved about not dealing with it. lol

It didn't hurt worse for me to have my upper part of the ear pierced when I was in my 20s.

Nah. I'm pierced all the way down both ears, and the only problem you get is if you have the little flap on your ear- the tragus- pierced, or the anti-tragus, the little ridge across from the bump, or anywhere that also interferes with earmolds. Lol. Don't know is this would get in the way of the slim tube/done/open fit kind though, don't wear them.

Ear and Face Piercings | Navel Rings

Ok I've got my tragus pierced and to get moulds/custom earplugs u need to decided what type of jewellery back u want to wear and wear that style when u ur impression done

Back