Why CI is bad for kids under 6 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't avoid death 100% of the time.

By not driving, you'd still get killed by something else. Some things can't be avoided.

Can you avoid a meteor that crashes through the roof of your house and smack you square on your head?

You can avoid the risk associated with CI by not having one! Period.

Better deaf than dead.

Sticking your head in the sand like an Ostrich and calling the risks with CI as "old news" is just plain ignorant.

What also gets me is that many Doctors are not disclosing information about the risks of CI because many think there isn't any. Even if they think that since a patient has been immunized, it's all good. That's even more ignorant.

Speaking of old news, still think the risk of CI as "old news"? How about the Feb 5th, 2008 news article...

City mourns beloved worker, ‘Sumner’s sweeper’ | TheNewsTribune.com | Tacoma, WA

Some 48 year old deaf dude took the CI and he later died. 48 years too young! :(

He had the CI on Jan. 28, 2008 and he died 3 days later of.....guess what???

***************drum roll*******************

Yes! You guessed it right!!

Meningitis!!!!

Look at these poor families crying because they lost someone that they loved and it didn't have to happen!!!! That really aggravates me!!!

I'll bet you 10 to 1 that the doctor never told him about the risks!

And I'll bet you 10 to 1 that if he had been well informed of the risks, he would have backed out. Unless he rather be dead than deaf, which is very unlikely.

Of course he made his choice, but I wonder if his "choice" was truly informative?

So you think that the risks of CI is very small and you're willing to ignore the numbers of deaths associated with CI and still promote it? I think that's pretty damn selfish.

It the same thing as saying

You can avoid the risk associated with car accident by not driving or riding in one! Period.

You can also avoid death by not taking CI.

You can also avoid death by not driving or riding in a car.

And ....

You have a higher chance dying in a car accident than you would from a CI.

So your point being is?

Heck a kid has a greater chance of dying from choking, falling down, drowning, getting sick, etc...

According to a study in 1994, 5 children per million die from drowning after falling into a bucket of water, or in the bathtub.Another study in 1999 showed that between 1996 and 1999 ( just 3 years) 459 children under the age of 5 died of complications related to drowning in products inside the home.

Plastic Buckets; Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking; Request for Comments and Information
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/drwnstat.pdf

Does that mean we outlaw buckets or bathtubs

or water?

----
~ edited to add sources for the statistics as we know there are people here who HAVE to have sources....

You guys just don't just get it.

Sure you could die from all that, but the real question is can you die by NOT taking CI?

I'm talking about risks vs rewards.

The point is that you can avoid death by not taking CI.

But you can't avoid the possibility of dying while driving.

But noooo, you wanna take chances with CI anyway just because you don't see it being any different than going for a cruise on a Saturday night with a hot date.

If and when someone has a well informed decision about the risks associating with CI and decided to take it anyway and then later dies. That person is not gonna garner any sympathy from me because he or she decided to be stupid to take the risk.

Unless the patient was lied to by a doctor that there is no risk associated with CI and went in with a blind trust and died. I would view that as a travesty and feel bad for the patient.

Sorry, but that's the way I feel about it.

its fine if that's the way you feel about it - we all are entitled to our opinions. :)

Some 48 year old deaf dude took the CI and he later died.
He had the CI on Jan. 28, 2008 and he died 3 days later of.....Meningitis

I'll bet you 10 to 1 that the doctor never told him about the risks!

A. The man was 48, last time I looked, no one considered a 48 year old a child.
B. He died three days after contracting meninningitis, not after receiving his ci which was four months ago.
C. How do you know what he was or was not told about the risks of his ci? Were you there? That is not a fact but a baseless and unsubstantiated opinion.
D. You made reference to many kids with cis dying because of them. As Jackie asked you before, please cite the number since 2004 and your source of information?
E. You previously accused parents of ci children as labeling those who do not implant their children as being guilty of child abuse. Who, name names, on this forum has made such a statement?
Rick

You can also avoid death by not taking CI.

That's the whole point. It's the same as avoiding the risk of driving.

And yes, the risks are old news. They've been documented in the past - they're not new. It is therefore "old news".

Heck a kid has a greater chance of dying from choking, falling down, drowning, getting sick, etc...

According to a study in 1994, 5 children per million die from drowning after falling into a bucket of water, or in the bathtub.Another study in 1999 showed that between 1996 and 1999 ( just 3 years) 459 children under the age of 5 died of complications related to drowning in products inside the home.

Plastic Buckets; Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking; Request for Comments and Information
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/drwnstat.pdf

Does that mean we outlaw buckets or bathtubs
----
~ edited to add sources for the statistics as we know there are people here who HAVE to have sources....

And, since one is well aware that there are any number of risks inherent in day to day existence..and yes, transportation, bathing, and any of the others are necessary risks taken by all...why would one add additional unnecessary risk? I think that is the question being asked, but not answered.

And, since one is well aware that there are any number of risks inherent in day to day existence..and yes, transportation, bathing, and any of the others are necessary risks taken by all...why would one add additional unnecessary risk? I think that is the question being asked, but not answered.

Like driving or riding in a car, there a risk being killed in one but it a tool to assist your daily life from getting one place to another.

Even a car is unnecessary risk because you can walk instead or ride a bus which have even less risk ratio compare to a car. But owning and driving a car give you your indenpenece and comfort without having to wonder if the bus is gonna arrive anytime or walking out in the snow to go to the store.

With CI there a risk but it a tool assist us in our daily life to the surronding sounds. Example now I can hear doorbell or someone knocking on door without needing to use the assistance light flashing or hear my VP100 ringing etc and I travel alot so I can hear folks knocking on my motel door and I don't need to drag a bunch of other devices to alert me of sounds surronding me. I could not hear those type of sound with my hearing aids all my life maybe if I happen to be near the door I will hear someone knocking. It also assist me to commuicate better with hearing people along with the skill of my lip reading.

There are hundered of more postive reason why CI is great to have over a hearing aids that I can't even know where to begin but another CI user will know what I am speaking of. It not an experience that can be put on paper perhaps someone will know how to describe such experience on paper that you all will understand why we take the what your calling is a "unnecessary" risk when to us after experiencing life with CI is actually an necessary risk.

My implant broke and I am willing to take the risk to go back on the table Monday to have it replaced because after experience life with CI for 4 year it a necessary risk to me compare being deaf all my life since birth.

If CI was such a bad thing then it would never had success to the point where it is today.

Like driving or riding in a car, there a risk being killed in one but it a tool to assist your daily life from getting one place to another.

Even a car is unnecessary risk because you can walk instead or ride a bus which have even less risk ratio compare to a car. But owning and driving a car give you your indenpenece and comfort without having to wonder if the bus is gonna arrive anytime or walking out in the snow to go to the store.

With CI there a risk but it a tool assist us in our daily life to the surronding sounds. Example now I can hear doorbell or someone knocking on door without needing to use the assistance light flashing or hear my VP100 ringing etc and I travel alot so I can hear folks knocking on my motel door and I don't need to drag a bunch of other devices to alert me of sounds surronding me. I could not hear those type of sound with my hearing aids all my life maybe if I happen to be near the door I will hear someone knocking. It also assist me to commuicate better with hearing people along with the skill of my lip reading.

There are hundered of more postive reason why CI is great to have over a hearing aids that I can't even know where to begin but another CI user will know what I am speaking of. It not an experience that can be put on paper perhaps someone will know how to describe such experience on paper that you all will understand why we take the what your calling is a "unnecessary" risk when to us after experiencing life with CI is actually an necessary risk.

My implant broke and I am willing to take the risk to go back on the table Monday to have it replaced because after experience life with CI for 4 year it a necessary risk to me compare being deaf all my life since birth.

If CI was such a bad thing then it would never had success to the point where it is today.

No one said that CI was a "bad thing." And your comparison is still fallicious.

No one said that CI was a "bad thing." And your comparison is still fallicious.

care to explain or that all you can come up with?

And the topic of this thread "Why CI is bad for kids under 6 yrs" so someone is saying CI is a "bad thing"

That's the whole point. It's the same as avoiding the risk of driving.

And yes, the risks are old news. They've been documented in the past - they're not new. It is therefore "old news".

What the hell are you talking about? Did you read the link that a 47 or so guy died from a result of receiving CI? This happened Jan 28th and he died 3 days later, this year!

That's old news???

care to explain or that all you can come up with?

And the topic of this thread "Why CI is bad for kids under 6 yrs" so someone is saying CI is a "bad thing"

Yes, I will explain. To compare elective surgery to riding in or driving a car is a fallicious comparison. If you wish to compare elective surgery to anything, compare it to another elective surgery. That would remove the fallicious nature of your argument.

What the hell are you talking about? Did you read the link that a 47 or so guy died from a result of receiving CI? This happened Jan 28th and he died 3 days later, this year!

That's old news???

I read that link City mourns beloved worker, ‘Sumner’s sweeper’ | TheNewsTribune.com | Tacoma, WA and it said he recieved implant 4 month ago cause of the death that was he had meningitis. It made no mention that CI play the role of his meningitis or caused his death.

It you that are saying CI causes his meningitis or his death not the link.

And I think he was saying it old news that CI are know to be one of the possible reason to cause meningitis and that it also old news that folks trying to voice againist CI would throw the word "meningitis" in the air as to why nobody should get a CI.

I read that link City mourns beloved worker, ‘Sumner’s sweeper’ | TheNewsTribune.com | Tacoma, WA and it said he recieved implant 4 month ago cause of the death that was he had meningitis. It made no mention that CI play the role of his meningitis or caused his death.

And I think he was saying it old news that CI are know to be one of the possible reason to cause meningitis and that it also old news that folks trying to voice againist CI would throw the word "meningitis" in the air as to why nobody should get a CI.

Yizuman is not implying that the CI is the cause of his meningitis. He is simply saying that the CI increased the risk of contracting the disease when exposed.

Quote feature messed up. My reply is the bolded.

Yizuman is not implying that the CI is the cause of his meningitis. He is simply saying that the CI increased the risk of contracting the disease when exposed.

Quote feature messed up. My reply is the bolded.

Unless I am reading his post wrong .. He posted "so guy died from a result of receiving CI " in his post.

If I read it wrong then I apolozied but it does look to me that the way he put it that he pointing to CI as the result for this man death.

Unless I am reading his post wrong .. He posted "so guy died from a result of receiving CI " in his post.

If I read it wrong then I apolozied but it does look to me that the way he put it that he pointing to CI as the result for this man death.

No, simply that the CI increased his risk of contacting meningitis. The guy died from meningitis. That is the cause of death. CI is secondary as increasing the risk of contracting the disease from which he died. At least, that's the way I read it.:)

Yes, I will explain. To compare elective surgery to riding in or driving a car is a fallicious comparison. If you wish to compare elective surgery to anything, compare it to another elective surgery. That would remove the fallicious nature of your argument.

Ok I am still not sure what your meaning since my english not too good but I will use another example about surgery choices.

Hip replacement surgery.
It not nesscary but people choose to have it done so they don't have to use walker or be in a wheelchair for the rest of their life but it have the same risk as any other surgery and they are saying it increase your risk of cancer and decreased immunity because of heavy metal load in your body.

And soon in the near future there will be implant allowing blind people to see and will probably have more risk than CI since it actually have to insert a implant inside your brain.
Artificial Vision for the Blind - Brain Implant? Bionic Eye?
And I am sure after comparing the ratio of success and death rate of this eyesight implant that there going to be blind people lining up the door for this implant then again I could be wrong. It still all new but it happening.

Ok I am still not sure what your meaning since my english not too good but I will use another example about surgery choices.

Hip replacement surgery.
It not nesscary but people choose to have it done so they don't have to use walker or be in a wheelchair for the rest of their life but it have the same risk as any other surgery and they are saying it increase your risk of cancer and decreased immunity because of heavy metal load in your body.

And soon in the near future there will be implant allowing blind people to see and will probably have more risk than CI since it actually have to insert a implant inside your brain.
Artificial Vision for the Blind - Brain Implant? Bionic Eye?
And I am sure after comparing the ratio of success and death rate of this eyesight implant that there going to be blind people lining up the door for this implant then again I could be wrong. It still all new but it happening.

Your English is fine, TechBill. I would not consider hip replacement surgery to be strictly elective, because it is used to correct disease such as damage from rhuematoid arthritis or to correct an injury. I am takling about elective surgeries such as liposuction, stomach stapling, rhinoplasty to change the shape or your nose so you look more like the majority, etc.

I don't know about the surgery to restore eyesight. I happen to have as friends...one of them a professor that I am in contact with on a daily basis...who would not choose to have the surgery and have no desire to become sighted. They have many valid reasons for their position.

Feel free to continue asking me questions. I don't have a problem with explaining at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back